Tomica

Unicode UTF-8 support

5 posts in this topic

I would like Apex DC++ to become an UTF-8 programme. I don't know if it's possible, but it would be really nice.

I would like Apex DC++ to become an UTF-8 programme. I don't know if it's possible, but it would be really nice.

Yes it's possible. NMDC is ASCII, which is a subset of UTF-8. It's just that DC++ and its derivatives seem to have so limited capabilities regarding the different character set codings - can you even choose the set you'd like to use? In Valknut I have been using UTF-8 successfully.

First of all, sorry for being inactive for this long. Also, I am sorry for bringing back the old thread.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough regarding my question. I am interested in support for cyrillic script in the chat windows (public and private). I did set my Windows to support cyrillic script, so I can both read and write cyrillic script propperly in Apex. It's being done in Control Panel > Regional Settings > Advanced > Language for non-unicode programs. But the problem appears when I try to write cyrillic to people who don't have that option set like I do. Then all they get is rubbish.

So, I was actually wandering if there is any chance to include an option to set encoding for the chat windows in Apex, like to make choice between Western, Greek, Central European, Cyrillic etc. win codepages or even UTF-8, which would obviously be optimal.

I must epmhasise that when it comes to searching for non-ansi file/folder names, there are absolutely no problems, everything is just fine.

Edit: I forgot to mention this. It doesn't work for me to set text encoding in Settings > Appearance > Colors & Fonts > Text style. Every time I try to change the text encoding, after I click OK, it keeps re-setting to the default encoding. Perhaps that's a bug?