Rauberis

Can't see network folders for sharing

25 posts in this topic

Hi. When looking for shared directories i can't see maped network drives, so i can't share files which are on my another computer. I'm using Vista bussines. In folder "My computer" i see C:/; D:/; and maped drives as g$ (\\192.168.62.85) Incom; h$ (\\192.168.62.85) Music and etc... But i don't see them near the shared directories. Choosing network-entire network shows no result. I tried right now another client as strong dc and it finds all my maped folders as i see in "My computer"

I can view all network locations in vista fine with ApexDC, as well as mapped drives...

So maybe U know why yours ApexDC sees mapped drives and mine - not... As i wrote StrongDC sees my mapped drives. Where could be problems?

So maybe U know why yours ApexDC sees mapped drives and mine - not... As i wrote StrongDC sees my mapped drives. Where could be problems?

I honestly don't know, you see ApexDC is based on on StrongDC, and as far as I can remember no code regarding network drive recognition has been changed in ApexDC.

I trying right now to add network share through DCPlusPlus.xml

As my network directory is here: Fdisk (\\192.168.62.86)Gm_MusArh (W:) or just (W:\-=Music Archive=-)

i'm adding this line:

<Share>

<Directory Virtual="-=Music Archive=-">W:\-=Music Archive=-\</Directory>

</Share>

or better to do like that:

<Share>

<Directory Virtual="-=Music Archive=-">\\192.168.62.86\-=Music Archive=-\</Directory>

</Share>

I'm having the same problem with ApexDC++ v1.1.0 not showing mapped drives and network locations. I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I tried editing the DCPlusPlus.XML file as suggested but no go. I don't see how editing that file is going to make the mapped drives show up in the "Shared directories" browser under "Settings" anyway. I mean, that's the goal, right?

If editing DCPlusPlus.XML file won't allow mapped drives to show under "Shared directories", I'm okay with that, but how do you force a refresh of your file list? I mean, after I tweak the XML file, I click on "File / Open own list" and the directory I manually added is not showing up. So, I figure I have to force the system to recognize a change, so I share out another directory using the UI. Now it shows up but the one I added manually in the XML still does not! I know I have the syntax right and I'm pointing to a valid path. A restart of the application doesn't force through the manual edit either.

So, I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong. Excuse me for being a total noob but I'm just getting going on this ApexDC stuff. I love it but I really just want to share out stuff on a mapped network drive and I just can't get it to work.

Quit Apex altogether. Then make the amendment's to DCPlusPlus.xml and save it. Then make it read only and try again. Ctrl+E to refresh (may need to do this a few times).

This will not make them show up in settings (well it might) but they'll still be in your share which is the important bit.

Okay, I've followed your recommendations and I have confirmed that adding new LOCAL folders to the DCPlusPlus.xml results in a successful share, as they are indexed and show up in my file list.

However, I still cannot get any mapped network drives to work using the same method (direct edit of DCPlusPlus.xml).

For example, if I manually edit DCPlusPlus.xml to add the following shares, where drives C: and D: are local, P: is a mapped network drive on a Windows 2003 Server and Z: is a mapped network drive on a WinXP box:

<Share>

<Directory Virtual="Main">C:\Main\</Directory>

<Directory Virtual="Alternate">D:\Alternate\</Directory>

<Directory Virtual="Public">P:\Public\</Directory>

<Directory Virtual="Private">Z:\Private\</Directory>

</Share>

Directories "Main" and "Alternate" are indexed and their contents show up in my file list after hitting refresh (Ctrl-E). However, "Public" and "Private" never show up, no matter how long I wait. It is as if the application completely ingores them.

I'm not sure if that would work. When you go into your P drive or Z drive, from your pc, what shows up in the explorer box?

Try inputting that location into the P:\Public section.

I can browse my P: and Z: drives from my computer via Explorer and see the contents of those shares without a problem. It's pretty straightforward, they're just simple mapped network drives. No big deal. I use them all the time. And virtually every software application I use can see them and allow me access to them. Except ApexDC++.

The point is that ApexDC++ does not see them or give me access to them. If this is not by design then it is a bug. Is anyone else besides Rauberis and I having this problem? It is really frustrating since most of the stuff I want to share is out on the network and not on my local PC.

Well I share on a network without problem.

I also know what you mean.

You didn't even try what I previously suggested.

When you go into your P or Z drive in windows it will not show them as P or Z in the explorer bar.

It will show something like \\ZDrive\Files and it is THAT that you put into your DCPlusPlus.xml file.

Here's an excerpt from mine:

<Directory Virtual="Share">\\KITCHEN\Share5\</Directory>

<Directory Virtual="Share">\\KITCHEN\Share6\</Directory>

<Directory Virtual="Share">\\LAPTOP\Share\</Directory>

Ah, you mean use the full UNC instead of the mapped drive path. Now I gotcha. I didn't understand that was what you meant when you said "what shows up in the explorer box".

Yes, the UNC syntax works in the DCPlusPlus.xml share section. Thank you for this workaround! ;)

Any chance the application will support mapped network drives and/or full network share browsing via the UI in the future? It seems a bit odd to have to hack an XML file to do something that seems pretty basic.

Well at least I have support. I have been trying to get this 'fixed' for ages. I'm ignored, ah well, at least it can be worked around.

Okay, I'm about ready to throw this freaking program out the window! Here I thought I finally got it working with my network share but no such luck. After my last post, ApexDC++ was happily going about the task of indexing 360 gigs worth of files out on my network share. Multiple file refreshes showed that files were showing up correctly shared out through the program. All seems well with the world.

I come back a few hours later and find that the network share is inaccessable. No problem, I think, the server was probably overwhelmed with the indexing activity (it's an older machine). So, I close ApexDC++ and reboot the server (where the network share resides). I then restart ApexDC++ and there is no trace of the files it had previously indexed on the network share. Multiple file refreshes and monitoring of the index status show nothing.

So, I think that the hash files might be corrupt and I delete them (HashData.dat and HashIndex.xml). I start up ApexDC++ and sure enough it rebuilds them and reindexes my files, BUT ONLY ON THE LOCAL DRIVE! It still refuses to index the files on the network share!

I check my DCPlusPlus.xml file, and sure enough, my entry in the share section for the network share using UNC syntax is still there, and I know for a fact this was working, now it's as if it's not even there! So, I close the program, delete the network share entry from the DCPlusPlus.xml file. Restart, do a file refresh, close down, add the UNC network share entry back to the DCPlusPlus.xml file, start the application again, and still NOTHING!

What the hell!? I am going completely bonkers over this issue! This should NOT be a problem! What freaks me out is that is was working and now it is not! What is going on with this sadistic piece of software? It's like it has a mind of it's own! ;)

Can your PC see the network drives now?

Chances are the network connection between your PC and your older box is no longer working.

That's why I rebooted the server: to restore the network connection. I did verify that the network share was accessible from my PC before proceeding.

Make sure your DCPlusPlus.xml is read only. Start apex. then refresh file list a few times.

Sorry, that simply doesn't work. Again, it was working briefly after I followed all of your instructions (including making the XML file read only after modifying it). However, after the indexing process crapped out and I redid everything from scratch, the program simply refuses to acknowledge my modifications to the DCPlusPlus.xml file and will not index the referenced network share. I've redid the whole process numerous times making sure I'm not missing anything and I've probably hit the damn file list refresh a million times hoping one of these times it's just going to magically work. This is driving me freaking crazy! :w00t:

The only way I see for it not to work in those circumstances is that network sharing is not set up correctly in windows.

I must say, I have problems with slow hash speed and DC refuses to exit while hashing from the indexed drive. But other than that, network sharing work's fine for me.

I am a Windows network admin by profession. My home network consists of six PCs with mixes of Server 2003, XP and Vista. Everything runs like a top and I use networked resources between my machines ALL THE TIME and I NEVER run into any problems like I'm seeing with ApexDC++. Believe me, there is nothing wrong with my network sharing setup.

I said this before but I believe it bears repeating: ApexDC++ is the ONLY Windows program I am currently using (out of literally dozens) that doesn't work with mapped network drives or UNC referenced network resources.

I'm happy it works for you. For a brief moment it looked like it might even work for me. But there is obviously something wrong with the program. I'm through futzing around with it. I'll just wait for the next release and hope the issue is addressed, but based on the response to this issue so far that doesn't sound very promising. It's too bad because I really like the application. There is so much that was done right with it, and it's a shame that it's network resource support is so lacking.

Again me:)

Is it correct how i changed DCPlusPlus.xml file:

<Share>

<Directory Virtual="-=Music Archive=-">\\192.168.62.86\Fdisk\-=Music Archive=-\</Directory>

<Directory Virtual="Exchange">\\192.168.62.85\Incoming\Exchange\</Directory>

</Share>

If i changed this file correctly, then the program don't see my mapped folders in shared directories in program: no -=Music Archive=- or Exchange.

Another way , how i can name this folder \\192.168.62.86\Fdisk\-=Music Archive=- is Q:\-=Music Archive=- but it also don't work.

Then i start - run - \\192.168.62.86\Fdisk\-=Music Archive=- I go directly to -=Music Archive=- folder, so it is right way to folder...

And U wrote: Start apex. then refresh file list a few times. Where is file list button in the apex? "Open file list"?? Just near the button "settings"?

Thanks

post-13220-1226871781_thumbjpg

Try using the network name. F.ex Mine is set up that I have Server and Laptop setup as network resources. My share shows using the network names rather than ips. I dont think apex recognises IP in that fashion. It may work with your internal IP for the respective drives tho.