pattywac

cant connect to users

10 posts in this topic

hello..... im using the firewall with upnp option. ive checked on my router and it shows the ports being forwarded when apex is running and when i check the connection it says the ports are open. outgoing connection is marked as direct connection

the guy on the other end has no problem connecting to me and downloading but when i try to get a file list it just says connecting and then eventually Connection timed out. Ive left it on trying to connect and after a long time (10+ hrs) it will finally get the file list and then i can download as much as i want.... he also set his router up to forward the ports he specified

any ideas on why it takes so long to connect?

Do you have to use the UPNP feature? If not try doing the active with manual port forwarding feature. It may be the UPNP isnt working correctly for you. If not let us know one of us will be glad to help you if we can

ya sorry i forgot to add that........ i switched to upnp after the normal port forwarding....... same problem either way

ya sorry i forgot to add that........ i switched to upnp after the normal port forwarding....... same problem either way

Have you verified you have the correct IP in settings and using a port such as 20005 for both TCP and UDP and have both open in your router?

tried both local network ip and wan ip with the same results......

for manual port forwarding i tried using the same port for both and separate ports

upnp has separate ports currently assigned (TCP 3953, UDP 5559)

You surely allowed Apex via the firewall software?

GAH! Why is DC so difficult :)

To provide hours of pleasure for many mazochistic OPs and support members. :) Actually there are 3-4 things:

1. Do you have a real ip. If yes (compare www.whatismyip.com with the result from the "Get IP address", for real must be the same), dynamic or static. If dynamic, check "Update IP on startup" in Apex Settings>Connection Settings.

2. Do you have a router? If yes (some box with LEDs, usually green, one power cord, two-three or more UTP cords, resembles a modem, but has more holes for UTP cords, some modems host a router in the same box tho :D ), forward the ports via the router, select "Firewall with manual port forwarding", enter the nos. in Apex Settings>Connection Settings. If you do not have one, set "Direct connectoon".

3. Allow ApexDC.exe in your firewall software, if any, including Windows XP built-in firewall (best is to disable it and install a real firewall).

A short guideline for chat support...

1. my ip is correct..... ive tried local and wan

2. ive tried both manual port forwarding and upnp on my router with separate ports and the same ports for UDP, TCP, TLS (for upnp i double checked the router and it lists the ports as forwarded in the upnp section)

3. disabled windows firewall and mcafee enterprise and the problem remains...... apex is in the windows firewall list anyway tho

any other ideas?

passive mode does work..... what am i losing out on by using it?

When using passive mode, you can connect only to users in active mode. Your speed could be also slower, as you will depend on the hub, while when active, the connection is directly between peers. Also some hubs do not allow downloading in passive mode at all, check hub rules.