Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Exergy

UPnP

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

Basically peerweb has been our client of choice on our Uni network, we ran of a hub with ~ 800 students connected at any one time. We are now running a smaller private hub for those of us who miss the benefits DC brings being that Uni is over for the year. However, im having some trouble with UPnP, I mean, dont get me wrong im perfectly adept at portforwarding and my connection is working fine. Its just I would rather be able to tell those less knowledgable students with newer routers / firewalls to simply choose the UPnP option than walk each of them through a tedious portforwarding process.

Ok so my problem is, when I enable UPnP, the UDP port is correctly added to my routers port forwarding configuration, however the TCP port is not, hence a non-working search / download / upload.

Is there a known bug with the UPnP implementation in peerweb, or is there a workaround for this problem?

I personally don't use the option. Why not create screenshots of the connection settings, router setup, etc and produce a 'guide' sort of thing to help users port forward.

When ApexDC++ is out, it could quite possibly fix your problem (if it was a pwdc bug) because it'll be based on the newer version of StrongDC++.

Thanks for promoting our original client and I hope you'll get others in the hub to convert to ApexDC++ when it's publically available. You won't be dissapointed. :)

Well thats certainly the plan currently, is there anyway to get early builds?

As for UPnP, well yes im currently writing a guide, but alot of these students are to put it mildy computer clueless, at Uni alone where there are no routing issues I must have setup around 25 computers in my hall alone to connect to the Hub.

Port Forwarding is just an added complication.

Was really manic the level the Hub reached, it was talked about in general discussion around the campus as an adjective, similar to the status Google has reached. Theyd say "Oh ill peerweb that when I get back". And this happened repeatedly with just randomers I was walking past.

Hell alot of students thought it was an official Uni provided service, we even had tutors connecting.

This external hub wont reach anyway near the significance of the internal hub for the simple fact that word of mouth wont work outside of campus :) But it will still be cool for those of us who are more adept with computers.

So yeh definately, thankyou for Peerweb, we considered a fair few clients, you came up top and so got our recommendation, im sure the same will be true of Apex.

Cheers for that post. Certainly made me laugh. Can't imagine somebody saying "I'll PeerWeb it" :)

To receive 'early' builds you need to be a tester or donator. Otherwise you'll have to wait until official publica versions are released. It shouldn't be too long until we release some potential stable versions.

We're currently creating the graphics to go with the program. Although the toolbar will have the default PeerWeb DC++ icons, we're going to provide an area of our site to switch to different toolbar icons. Later, we might even create a new default toolbar set for ApexDC++ if there's time.

No worries, they certainly made us laugh.

I would recommend a different set of icons to distinguish it from Peerweb, unless of course you wish to keep the association.

My major criticism of peerweb is complete lack of documentation, we had 100's of users asking what do all the icons mean? Obviously we figured out 90% of them through sheer trial and error, but its kind of silly if even we can't answer them.

Hell one of our admins wrote an entire peerweb configuration guide, around 30 pages in length simply because one doesnt appear to exist.

Though I believe I have read about an Apex docu in construction, so thumbs up, this forum is useful too, though with PW being discontinued, I have to admit finding support for it was difficult :s

We've already got a Guide's forum ready with numerous guides inside helping beginners. Kevo wrote a guide explaining all the current settings options and what they do.

The icons are easy enough, you just hover over the icon and it'll tell you what it does. :)

Well thats certainly the plan currently, is there anyway to get early builds?

As for UPnP, well yes im currently writing a guide, but alot of these students are to put it mildy computer clueless, at Uni alone where there are no routing issues I must have setup around 25 computers in my hall alone to connect to the Hub.

Port Forwarding is just an added complication.

Was really manic the level the Hub reached, it was talked about in general discussion around the campus as an adjective, similar to the status Google has reached. Theyd say "Oh ill peerweb that when I get back". And this happened repeatedly with just randomers I was walking past.

Hell alot of students thought it was an official Uni provided service, we even had tutors connecting.

This external hub wont reach anyway near the significance of the internal hub for the simple fact that word of mouth wont work outside of campus ;) But it will still be cool for those of us who are more adept with computers.

So yeh definately, thankyou for Peerweb, we considered a fair few clients, you came up top and so got our recommendation, im sure the same will be true of Apex.

Hahaha, nice to know PWDC++ was put good use, I found the "I'll PeerWeb it" bit and the fact that the tutors used it bits very amusing.

No worries, they certainly made us laugh.

I would recommend a different set of icons to distinguish it from Peerweb, unless of course you wish to keep the association.

My major criticism of peerweb is complete lack of documentation, we had 100's of users asking what do all the icons mean? Obviously we figured out 90% of them through sheer trial and error, but its kind of silly if even we can't answer them.

Hell one of our admins wrote an entire peerweb configuration guide, around 30 pages in length simply because one doesnt appear to exist.

Though I believe I have read about an Apex docu in construction, so thumbs up, this forum is useful too, though with PW being discontinued, I have to admit finding support for it was difficult :s

I totally agree. Not only is it the fact that people don't know what things do, there's also the whole fact that people don't know about a lot of featuress within the program, some of the more hidden stuff. Documentation does need to be made for it, but it's also hard to look at it from a users point-of-view. I guess I should just do something myself rather than just complain, heh.

:pinch: :P can we have a copy ;) Kevo's guide is really good but there could be some things he missed

I shall have to hunt it down, but bare in mind its orientated heavily to our uni network and worked as an absolute idiot guide.

It was very specific.

It was very specific.

if the length was around 30 pages it has to be ;)

if the length was around 30 pages it has to be ;)

And I do believe we can break it down into min guides for specific things. It'll be very useful..

I shall have to hunt it down

cheers.

but bare in mind its orientated heavily to our uni network

as lee said. im sure we could use some of it pehaps break it up or something.

UPnP should work just fine with 0.4.0 (read: same way that it works in StrongDC as we have not modified the implantation in any way)

Yes, all work fine - it's me trouble. I start linux-igd on alias interface and him return packages with other ip address. But mTorrent understand :-)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0