Marijn

Unable to get Active mode working

18 posts in this topic

I realise this is a common problem, but I've tried all the normal guides and FAQ's I could find and I just cant get active mode to work! I'm not new to this, have been using DC++ clients for years now and untill a few months ago always in active mode with portforwarding.

Here are some details:

ApexDC++ 1.0.0B4

Set to using active mode with manual portforwarding TCP 12345 and UPD 12346, TLS 0, Bind Adres is my internal IP, external IP is checked as well

WinXP pro (Firewall is OFF)

Sagem Livebox Fast 3202 (Orange ADSL)

No other firewall (unless ClamWin or PC Tools Spyware Docter has some firewall that I´m not aware off)

I used the connection checker, it says both ports are connected so I assume the portforwarding is working ok.

I doublechecked my IP adresses, and set up a static internal adress outside the DCHP range just to be sure, although this is the only PC connected.

If somebody know something I can try, please let me know!!

Enternal??

Do you mean internal or external?

I'm connected trough the Sagem Livebox from my provider, nothing else. Is that a router?

Hi,

1. /Offtopic/ Before a time I got infected with some Parite type virus due to ClamAV. They may have grown better, however think about a stronger AV with real-time protection.

2. Yes, your Sagem is a router, because it does port forwarding (and because Google says so http://portforward.com/english/routers/por...3202/ICUII.htm). :mellow:

3. I think Satan meant internal (the PC's LAN IP - 10.* or 192.168.*). Still, Apex should work fine with "0.0.0.0" if external (WAN) IP is properly detected.

4. You might want to call also your ISP for support, IF it is a P2P-friendly one.

Hi Zlobomir, thanks for the reply.

So I should use the internal IP as "bind adress" and the Sagem is my router.

Is there any other setting that I can check?

Like I said, the connection checker says it connects OK to both ports, so I'm a bit lost wehere to look...

1. Well, I use 0.0.0.0 (PC reads it as "any available") without problems. I have used also my internal IP in the past. Hamachi is running all the time, still Apex finds the right IP with 0.0.0.0 set. The link in my post above should give some specific info about this particular router, if any.

2. Sorry if this guess annoys you, are you sure you are on a static IP? If not, check "Update IP on startup".

3. How you determine that "Active mode does not work"? You can't download (usually TCP problem) or you can't search (UDP problem)?

Hi Zlobomir,

It dousn't annoy me, I'm glad that you're trying to help!!

I set up teh static IP according to the guide on http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

Even though, I also thecked the "Update IP on startup" box.

I know Active mode isnt working because I cant search and I cant download file lists from users, other users can download from me though. As soon as I switch to Passive, I'm able to search and download.

Somebody on the hub advised me to get CZDC, said it solved the problem for him. So I downloaded it and it works!!

Any idea why CZDC is working and ApexDC not?

Its too bad really because I like ApexDC better for the options and the layout

Maybe it is due to a restart or smth, not the programs...

Can it be that it has to do with the version?

CZDC is at version 0.699 now. There has to be some explanation, because I used the same settings.

Bind Address can stay at 0.0.0.0.

Your IP needs to the be the external one in the IP address box.

Also, you need to forward ports on your router as per Zlo's link.

Static/dynamic IP has nothing to do with port forwarding and depends on ISP.

Static IP - your IP is one and the same all the time.

Dynamic IP - your IP changes on each reconnect to the web (f. ex. each PC restart). Here you need to check "update on startup".

Virtual IP - many users behind one and the same external IP address. In this case user's LAN addresses are typically 192.168.* or 10.* . Edit: For this, use "Passive - worst case".

Read: The type of IP does not affect setting of port forwarding in any way. :)

Still, I dont think the settings are the problem.

I use the same settings in ApexDC and CZDC.

Somehow CZDC is working in Active mode and ApexDC isnt.

Any ideas?

OK, I downloaded and looked at CZDC++ 0.666(M). In it, there is not a connection setting per each favorite hub. And settings in Fav Hub section always override general settings Check this one, and restart Apex between attempts, just in case.

Good point. The connection settings for the hub I'm logged in to are set to "Default" in ApexDC, so I dont think thats it...

Have you tried one and the same TCP and UDP port for Apex? Have you tried high (over 10000-20000) and low values for ports? Neighbour ports? Firewall? Win XP firewall can be nasty.