Toader

Vonage

9 posts in this topic

Apex 100B4 seems to interfere with Vonage phone over cable connection. Is there a workaround for this, or is it just a matter of changing ports?

Apex 100B4 seems to interfere with Vonage phone over cable connection. Is there a workaround for this, or is it just a matter of changing ports?

From what I understand from the user, when she has Apex running, she can hear phone conversations, but the folks on the other end cannot hear her. Eventually the full phone connection dies and the only way to get it back is to reset her modem/router. I just heard from another user that Vonage uses UDP ports 10,000 - 20,000, plus 90kbps of bandwidth. I have not double checked those figures, so they may be in error. I was just wondering if any other Apex/Vonage users have encountered a problem and if so, how they solved it. Thanks!!

might be that apexmis using the resources vonage needs (the speed) and thats why but that should not require a router restart also 10 thousund ports is very excessive for some application...

just checked and its right it uses udp ports 5061 and 10000-20000

might be that apexmis using the resources vonage needs (the speed) and thats why but that should not require a router restart also 10 thousund ports is very excessive for some application...

just checked and its right it uses udp ports 5061 and 10000-20000

OK, Thanks, I'll bump her port range above the 20000 figure and see if that helps any.

thing is that (as far as i know) apex does not touch any of the ports mentioned, but might be using the bandwith vonage requires.

you might consider traffic shaping if that works... http://www.cfos.de/speed/cfosspeed_e.htm

p.s. i still think 10.000 ports is way excessive for any application

Edited by Aztek

thing is that (as far as i know) apex does not touch any of the ports mentioned, but might be using the bandwith vonage requires.

you might consider traffic shaping if that works... http://www.cfos.de/speed/cfosspeed_e.htm

p.s. i still think 10.000 ports is way excessive for any application

Hm, maybe these ports are reserved for use, if each connection requires a socket, could make sense. Can't it be made to dinamically open needed sockets rather than reserving them, if not so already?

I get kind of the same problem with packet8 Voip service. Although most of the time what happens is the person on the other end gets a bad echo when they speak. packet8. I have found the only way to get around this is just to shut the client down, while I am on the phone.

I have also found this to be the case with Skype, however Skype works better for me than the voip most of the time.

If there is someone who can find a good workaround for this, he/she would be praised highly for sure.

peace

Hey, are you on UPnP connection setting? If so, try with "Firewall manual port forwarding" and see. Do not forget to open the same port nos. in your firewall, or even better, allow ApexDC++.exe through the firewall.

HTH