Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lee

Mozilla Firefox 2.0 Alpha 2 (Bon Echo)

33 posts in this topic

Opera really did a bad thing not making it free prior to Firefox. The vast majority would be using Opera otherwise. A lot of these fairly small things which Firefox users state doesn't exist in Opera are coming, the Opera browser is still most definatly advancing. Extensions are the only thing which give Firefox a posible edge on Opera, although I do accept that this was the point or whatever, advanced users are supposed to have extentions installed. It's just there's so few things I miss that were availble in Firefox, and things I did miss from Opera. (Although a lot of them were availble after hunting down extentions) I also recognise there's features in Opera people don't want, such as the IRC and bittorrent. Yet I still love Opera, I'm not missing anything. The largest thing I missed from Firefox to quite honest when I left Firefox to come back to Opera was the whole stumble toolbar/buttom... And that's an unimportant thing really.

The strange thing is that Firefox isn't fast, not on Windows at least. Even Internet Explorer, not to even mention Opera, is faster than Firefox. Ironically, Mozilla 1.6 was faster than Firefox too. Security? According to Secunia, Opera has 0 vulnerabilities, whereas Firefox has, well... many some highly critical and one extremely critical. There's even a few things from 2004 though in Firefox which havn't been patched. However, jsut like most other people are, on either side, I'm somewhat biased.

Firefox is great, but (in my opinion, and many others at least) so is Opera.

What things do you miss from Opera if using Firefox, grogs?

Adblocking is severely lacking in Opera. All you can do i block images, no imports/exports of lists or even block google ads.

Right-click then "Block content...", what do I miss in Firefox, the fact that it didn't work tell for me. I set it using extentions to mimic Opera for mouse shortcuts, opening stuff in new tab by default etc.. To be quite honest though, I have Firefox installed now with a load of extentions and admitted they have advanced somewhat since I used Firefox as my main browser. It's jsut small things, like when I go back a page in Opera it goes straight back to where I was on the page (maybe Firefox can do thsi too - but it's not something I feel I should search for), the fact that when I go back it just shows me what was in the cache rather than redownloading everything. Now, again this may be possible to do in Firefox with extentions or whatever, but once again I don't feel should have to search to do this. On the other hand that page from cache thing is something that caused problems with phpbb for me, if i edit a post I have to refresh the page after it redirects me back. The thing is, there's small differences which make it just a matter of preference. Lots of people (myself included I guess) will try and argue on one side often though. Either because they have nothing better to do, want to have there opinion/preference justicfied by others, or they just enjoy arguing, or maybe they genuinly feel the browser they use is streaks ahead and others should try it... or maybe they ahve a personal interest in it.

Right-click then "Block content...", what do I miss in Firefox, the fact that it didn't work tell for me. I set it using extentions to mimic Opera for mouse shortcuts, opening stuff in new tab by default etc.. To be quite honest though, I have Firefox installed now with a load of extentions and admitted they have advanced somewhat since I used Firefox as my main browser. It's jsut small things, like when I go back a page in Opera it goes straight back to where I was on the page (maybe Firefox can do thsi too - but it's not something I feel I should search for), the fact that when I go back it just shows me what was in the cache rather than redownloading everything. Now, again this may be possible to do in Firefox with extentions or whatever, but once again I don't feel should have to search to do this. On the other hand that page from cache thing is something that caused problems with phpbb for me, if i edit a post I have to refresh the page after it redirects me back. The thing is, there's small differences which make it just a matter of preference. Lots of people (myself included I guess) will try and argue on one side often though. Either because they have nothing better to do, want to have there opinion/preference justicfied by others, or they just enjoy arguing, or maybe they genuinly feel the browser they use is streaks ahead and others should try it... or maybe they ahve a personal interest in it.

I admit you have many valid points, as hunting extensions isn't that much of a fun, but even though Opera provides f.ex. block content, i rather use Adblock with the updater than block everything manually (or does opera provide the posibility to import filters or sync with filters on the web) same goes for Opera's sidebar i rather use aios + quicknote to mimic the sidebar opera has (mostly because aios looks a lot nicer than operas sidebar, and provides many aditional extra enchantments too)

but enough with this alredy as you said it's a matter of personal preference, and that's it :)

edit: one thing that came to my mind is that opera lacks stuff like userChrome.css and userContent.css, and with userContent.css you can get rid of the need to have few extensions...

Right-click then "Block content..."

Can only block images.

True Crise, but this is a new feature, I have ever confidence it'll develop and block flash to, and that google ads will be blocked in future too. As to the automatically importing of lsits, again this may well be availble in future as the feature develops, as this is probably already stored in a seperate file already i guess you kind of can "import" more manually. Hopefully Opera will build this into the client a lot more, it could be really good if they do it properly.

True Crise, but this is a new feature, I have ever confidence it'll develop and block flash to, and that google ads will be blocked in future too. As to the automatically importing of lsits, again this may well be availble in future as the feature develops, as this is probably already stored in a seperate file already i guess you kind of can "import" more manually. Hopefully Opera will build this into the client a lot more, it could be really good if they do it properly.

Yeah, because I like Opera appearance/toolbar over Firefox. Like you said, was faster to load and render pages. :)

Although I have to admit that Opera 9 actually renders some things slower then its' previous versions. There is a good reason for this though, previously it downloaded and then rendered the whole thing, now it renders it as it gets it, which takes longer.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0