S Murder

Filelist Removal

10 posts in this topic

If you select the option to not delete filelists after Aped DC++ closes, could there be an option to automatically delete filelists after a user specified amount of time has gone by? I think it's kind of inefficient to keep downloading the same filelists over and over, but they do get outdated after a few days to a week and need to be cleaned out.

That looks like a really good option too. Though, after a while users change names or disappear altogether and the file lists on your drive become kind of useless.

I find that file lists are often good for a few days, so it would be nice if the user could specify a time limit that they want saved filelists to stay around for, after which Apex DC++ automatically deletes them.

I would have thought it would be perfectly possible to do this externally. As in, create a simple program which checks the created/modified date of the filelists and if they're older than a certain date/time delete them? Just run this every hour or 12 hours or something. Wouldn't have thought it'd be too difficult if there's really much demand for it, Apex could run it and use settings (give my user) via commandline switches.

Another thing I noticed is, when I download a filelist, look at it, close it, and then select "Get Filelist" for the same user a few minutes later, rather than opening the filelist I just downloaded a few minutes ago, it downloads it all over again. It's a bit of a waste, and manually looking through my filelist directory for a user often takes even longer. Could there be an option to open filelists locally if it's not more than a few days old? Or maybe have the current button download it and add a second option below the current one that opens it locally?

Edited by S Murder

Another thing I noticed is, when I download a filelist, look at it, close it, and then select "Get Filelist" for the same user a few minutes later, rather than opening the filelist I just downloaded a few minutes ago, it downloads it all over again. It's a bit of a waste, and manually looking through my filelist directory for a user often takes even longer. Could there be an option to open filelists locally if it's not more than a few days old? Or maybe have the current button download it and add a second option below the current one that opens it locally?

some posts ago i linked another topic on this forum ... in which there was a feature request to get a checker who would see if the filelist has not changed since last time, than don't download it, but open from local ..... this few days old could not be always a good one as if someone is putting 0-day stuff in every day .. you won't see it ..... but as in that topic, i wrote an idea if a checker would check if it has the same size from the same username and if some other usually constant values also match, than open the local .... and if the size has changed, then download it again :lol: ... i guess you're thinking of this feature, right?

some posts ago i linked another topic on this forum ... in which there was a feature request to get a checker who would see if the filelist has not changed since last time, than don't download it, but open from local ..... this few days old could not be always a good one as if someone is putting 0-day stuff in every day .. you won't see it ..... but as in that topic, i wrote an idea if a checker would check if it has the same size from the same username and if some other usually constant values also match, than open the local .... and if the size has changed, then download it again :lol: ... i guess you're thinking of this feature, right?

Yes, that would be what I'm thinking of.

Ctrl+L and finding a persons username has not ever been to difficult for me.

some posts ago i linked another topic on this forum ... in which there was a feature request to get a checker who would see if the filelist has not changed since last time, than don't download it, but open from local ..... this few days old could not be always a good one as if someone is putting 0-day stuff in every day .. you won't see it ..... but as in that topic, i wrote an idea if a checker would check if it has the same size from the same username and if some other usually constant values also match, than open the local .... and if the size has changed, then download it again :wub: ... i guess you're thinking of this feature, right?

This would probably require some tinkering on other client also, but can be done - ADC is still draft, and NMDC would require some new little extension (like Queue Position sending in recent SDC++).

A )

For example adding some FL token (like CRC32 or TTH) to get filelist requests and to filelist itself also.

Other client would either send back filelist or "it's ok" msg.

It would always send back filelist if not supporting this feature.

B )

On ADC proto tokens could be sent with INF (it should be short). This way other clients would know when filelist changes.

And when doing it smart (like replace for example FS with token, witch would also contain number of files info) it shouldn't even make more then 2-3 chars more for entire INF! :wub:

Also in NMDC this could be added for tag, however most hubs don't display tags.

It's really a small price to pay for removing re-downloading FLs burden!

...anyway... exact share size (and number of files on ADC) is a very good indicator whenever FL has changed. So option to either re-download or open from disk could be done without any proto extensions. But it won't replace "download filelist" of course since it's not 100% accurate.