Olorin

Apex as a sevice/daemon

21 posts in this topic

Could I make it the service?

I can't use "Srvinstw.exe". I can't use "cs create"...

Because the Apex can't say the Windows API "SERVICE_RUNNING". It easy is't it? Even you have no need to disable it if the Apex has been used as a usual program...

PLEEEEEEASE

And it will be wonderfull if I can see the checkbox "Autostart with windows as service". :unsure::)^_^

the second PLEEEEEEASE

Hello from Russian peers and peerers

sorry if duplicated

i have no time to read the forum :) : it's in english... I/m going to have a sleep for an hour... and work, work, work then... :lol:

how would you search, and chat ?
If something is a service it dosn't mean you cant have a GUI, in fact many services do have GUI's, IIS admin, your viruschecker, your firewall, VNC ect.

true, but then the gui will have to "connect" to the service, that "MIGHT" present security and/or complexity issues

Edited by Aztek

true, but then the gui will have to "connect" to the service, that "MIGHT" present security and complexity issues

after all,DC++ clients are not that safe anyway...

after all,DC++ clients are not that safe anyway...

explain...

whats not that safe ?

true, not encrypted passwords and that but still...

imho this one could be hard, although something from the Linux project may help, there it is daemon-based. But if an app is not designed as service, it is hard to make it behave like one, and having GUI and stuff. However, using Scheduled tasks>Start at system startup may help, and all depends whether on second start>clicking yes it will bring up the GUI or a crash message. :unsure:

using Scheduled tasks>Start at system startup

It's an idea.

thanks

I'm going to try.

But the service will be woken up at any crash.

Such as usual Apex crash :D LOL

It's usefull: i have done a server with 600 shared GB of video.

And I'm trying the best way to manage my server. VNC is cool. But... I need more flexible thing such as winremotedesktop. At this case sound and other periferials is yours. And you can use the processor time of the server...

mmm

don't you want a server? It can be controlled remotely by it's own webserver the next step is the server oriented executable.

And no any difference between gui, service or service woken by the system and showed the gui for any user logged on

but i need only the special structure returned the apex on started up.

Actually Apex has a web-server already. :D So I think that if you set it up, then schedule it to run at startup, and manage it remotely, all will be OK. :D

yes. But crashes.

Your method doesn't prevent long downtime.

At the moment I will use your method but I hope...

A have used the method. It's cool. Also I have done the server. Cool.

Thank you.

ps I'm still waiting the service mode :D

Many users need the service mode - like [NBN]-Knyaz_Igor'® (torrents.ru). He's share is at least 5 TB.

Just note that Scheduled Tasks wraps the appy to svchost, in case you need to terminate it... And in my experience with other apps, they are not likely to crash in this mode. And there is not 100% warranty that even a real service will not crash.

yes

but

there is a cool page at properties... called Recovery :D

yes

but

there is a cool page at properties... called Recovery :D

hehe,most peeps turn that off :D

1) 1beta2 crashes if "Delete all sources" or "add all sources"

2) 0.4.0 find through the webserver by the IE 7 doesn't show the results of a search.

1beta2 crashes if "Delete all sources" or "add all sources"

... and even crashes sometimes when simply looking at "Download queue" ..... the devs are already informed about it and they are working on the solution :D

... and even crashes sometimes when simply looking at "Download queue" ..... the devs are already informed about it and they are working on the solution :(

yes, of course... but they are not "Piphia"s from the Matrix. And the should know about all problems. Not only at their systems seen.

maybe just me but this discussion is getting offtopic ...

i understand it is possible and maybe smarter to run apexdc as a daemon and all that, IF it is either kept transparent (hidden from noobs as not to make them more confused) and having everything working automaticly without extra configuration, using apexdc by connecting remotely to the "service" could be really sweet (running a daemon on a linux server and dling silly fast :() but im afraid about security implications if that is done, there should atleast be somesort of a limit like only LAN computers can connect to the service or something like that :)

just my thoughts on this topic :)

Heh, security is up to the user, our task would be to provide IP/mask rule editor or sg, since "only LAN" is not good at the existence of Hamachi, etc.

Security? For win is "users" group.

For linux... I think only few years and linux became "guied" as a win. Look at knoppix.