Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Greg

Marker Line

18 posts in this topic

It's a feature that is within other chat programs (Lee :w00t: ). Basically in the window/chat of the active window within Apex a "marker line" is produced whenever the user minimizes the windows or changes focus away from the window. This means that when you get back to the window you know quickly where you left off. This may not seem like an important featue but until I used it within another program I didn't realise how useful it was, can save a bit of time finding your place within a convo.

However, DC is a different kind of chat enviroment from where I have seen this and it may not even be useful on a lot of (public) hubs but it can useful, and with DC maybe should be for every hub so you can change to another chat then get back and read recent changes quickly.

It is a very nice feature in my opinion, all it's simply a line/breaker within the text which clearly stands out. So the whole line is underlined kinda thing. For an idea of what I mean (might be quite clear already?) take a lot at XChat.

Thanks

Greg

Edited by Greg

However, DC is a different kind of chat enviroment from where I have seen this and it may not even be useful on a lot of (public) hubs but it can useful, and with DC maybe should be for every hub so you can change to another chat then get back and read recent changes quickly.

EDIT: PLEASE MOVE THIS THREAD TO THE FEATURE REQUESTIONS SECTION PLEASE. Sorry I posted it here somehow. :S Thanks and sorry again.

you can produce something like this by disabling/enabling autoscrolling and setting the cursor in the position you left...

as the actual "line marker" feature wouldn't work well as there's a limit in how many chars you can see in chat window (even though it can be made to work, as you can produce a like effect with current client, i don't see why this should be added)

Moved

It's just that if you are in the middle of a conversation and then have to go to another hub, or do something else on your computer, or even walk off for a few seconds you can quickly come back to where you were and continue the conversation more easily. You can see if there has been a reply to your question or whatever.

Thanks for moving the topic too,

Greg

*bump*

Well XChat supports it and I must be missing something because I can't actually see what language it is coded in anywhere on the site, but it may well be C++. I know it's IRC and a totally different client but it is quite a nice feature, from my point of view at least.

XChat: Click Here.

Take a look Crise, it would be a nice optional feature. It only displays the one line..

I think that Skype, maybe QIP have it too.

*bump*

Well XChat supports it and I must be missing something because I can't actually see what language it is coded in anywhere on the site, but it may well be C++.

apparantly Programming Language : C, Visual Basic

(seems like an odd couple to me :D )

source:http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchat

apparantly Programming Language : C, Visual Basic

(seems like an odd couple to me :D )

source:http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchat

Just had a quick look at the source and it looks like it is all in C, also it use's GTK library (what does peerweb/strondc/apex use i have always asumed it was MFC) so it may not be compatible. however it shouldn't be to dificult to achive in MFC i think you can just have a function to draw a cpen line at the bottom of main chat window. well my 2p dont know if it is that simple, havn't looked at the code but it would undoubtably mean that this would need to be a chat entry object (or simlar) so that it would scroll correctly, and this means extending a base class. well im starting to woffal now so im going to stop :)

Just had a quick look at the source and it looks like it is all in C, also it use's GTK library (what does peerweb/strondc/apex use i have always asumed it was MFC) so it may not be compatible. however it shouldn't be to dificult to achive in MFC i think you can just have a function to draw a cpen line at the bottom of main chat window. well my 2p dont know if it is that simple, havn't looked at the code but it would undoubtably mean that this would need to be a chat entry object (or simlar) so that it would scroll correctly, and this means extending a base class. well im starting to woffal now so im going to stop :D

ok, but i'm trying to avoid MFC, as DC++ isn't mfc project and i don't want to make apexdc use mfc either (mostly because i not good with MFC :))

ok, but i'm trying to avoid MFC, as DC++ isn't mfc project and i don't want to make apexdc use mfc either (mostly because i not good with MFC :thumbsup:)

what library does peerweb/strondc/apex use

Alright, well I just thought it'd be worth putting the link there for you check out. I'm no programmer but I assumed it was C.

Edited by Greg

Bump. I remeber this getting some attention outside of this topic but then nothing happened... :)

Yeah, Crise... do you wish to explore this feature again?

I'm down for a marker line. :P BUT [insert long pause here] this has to be served with an "Arrow up / last line" feature. Just like in IRC. It's so very useful ! XChat's got marker lines but it's configurable. Either you want it enabled (wich by default it is) either you don't.

So as long as you make an option to disable it, users won't complain.

I'm down for a marker line. ;) BUT [insert long pause here] this has to be served with an "Arrow up / last line" feature. Just like in IRC. It's so very useful ! XChat's got marker lines but it's configurable. Either you want it enabled (wich by default it is) either you don't.

So as long as you make an option to disable it, users won't complain.

Yeah, it should of course be optional... some people may find it annoying or whatever.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0