Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crise

Fix: "Not enough space on disk"

10 posts in this topic

Statement of problem

Some users recieve error messages about not having enough space on their HDD's while using ApexDC++ to download over 4GB files (assuming you are downloading to FAT32 partition/drive)

Solution

Only way to fix it would be changing file system to NTFS as FAT32, doesn't like files over 4GB

Two ways you can do this:

1. Go to Control Panel ->Administrative Tools->Disk Management, somewhere there delete the partition you have on the drive (FAT32 again, I guess). And then create a new primary NTFS partition on it. Format it and that should solve your problem.
  2. In windows command prompt (Run > cmd) type 'convert volumename /FS:NTFS' (Note: This method should never be used for USB HDD's)
I'd always use the first option though, even if it involves a lot more work than second option.

Note: if you alredy have another partition with NTFS set as file system you could just move your complete & incomplete files directories over to that partition, and manually fix paths in queue.xml and in settings of ApexDC++.

Is this really your suggestion... to partition their drive?!

Is this really your suggestion... to partition their drive?!

well to fix this they have to change file system of their existing partition to NTFS or utilize alredy existing NTFS partition/drive...

and it just is that it's always better to format and create new primary partition rather than use windows command prompt...

if i'd do this i'd do it this way:

1. move files from FAT32 drive/partition (in my case usb drive so solution number 2 is not an option) to another drive

2. format FAT32 partition/drive

3. create new primary NTFS partition to the new unpartitioned space

4. and then move files back to the brand new NTFS partition/drive, and that's it

but it's not my fault that only solution to this problem is so hard, same goes with the fact that unfortunetly many HDD's come as FAT32 pre-formatted...

besides NTFS is far more superior to FAT32 anyway :)

The main disadvantage to NTFS as oppsoed to FAT32 is that it's less compatible with Linux. If use FAT32 then Linux can still read and write to your drives, but with NTFS you can't write to it (well, not properly, yet at least). This an be a disadvantage but for non-Linux users it's not a worry, and Linux users will probably already know this.

However, as it happens today I saw a case where if FAT32 had been sued it would have saved a lot of hassle. Someone I know had some spyware on there computer and by booting up with a Linux live CD they could simply removed the files which were causing the damager (they could not boot in safe mode). Unfortunatly they are using the NTFS filesystem (it is better really) and this rendered it impossible basically to remove it with Linux.

The main disadvantage to NTFS as oppsoed to FAT32 is that it's less compatible with Linux. If use FAT32 then Linux can still read and write to your drives, but with NTFS you can't write to it (well, not properly, yet at least). This an be a disadvantage but for non-Linux users it's not a worry, and Linux users will probably already know this.

However, as it happens today I saw a case where if FAT32 had been sued it would have saved a lot of hassle. Someone I know had some spyware on there computer and by booting up with a Linux live CD they could simply removed the files which were causing the damager (they could not boot in safe mode). Unfortunatly they are using the NTFS filesystem (it is better really) and this rendered it impossible basically to remove it with Linux.

True, but as apexdc++ is primarly for windows use, we can't take those in note that run it through wine for example, and i understand there are advantages and disadvantages with this solution, but as this is not a client bug or issue, but just a merely a limitation of FAT32 file system we can't do anything to it, people just have to learn to live with it :w00t:

True, but as apexdc++ is primarly for windows use, we can't take those in note that run it through wine for example, and i understand there are advantages and disadvantages with this solution, but as this is not a client bug or issue, but just a merely a limitation of FAT32 file system we can't do anything to it, people just have to learn to live with it :w00t:

Yep, I agree. If you intend to only use Windows as most people do then NTFS is better really.

Yep, I agree. If you intend to only use Windows as most people do then NTFS is better really.

I still think there could be a solution...

1. For the adware/virus problem - just boot up Win PE, then play with the drives as you like.

2. At least for video files - the program could have an option to save them splitted, as parts with user defined size. Is it possible? Anyway, it probably should be in some "Very Advanced" section :) , where users will specify the exact file or filetypes, and the desired split size, if we don't predefine and fix some.

I still think there could be a solution...

1. For the adware/virus problem - just boot up Win PE, then play with the drives as you like.

2. At least for video files - the program could have an option to save them splitted, as parts with user defined size. Is it possible? Anyway, it probably should be in some "Very Advanced" section :blushing: , where users will specify the exact file or filetypes, and the desired split size, if we don't predefine and fix some.

Linux is, in my opinion, better than Win PE, and I would rather use. Again, it's better just to boot up in safe-mode but for some reason this couldn't be done. Anyway, I think the size problem is less to do with movies (well ones that can be split at least), and more to do with DVD images for games and DVD-Rs (movies).

NTFS is here so we don't have the filesize problem... hopefully Linux will be able to properly write to it sometime. ;)

The reason for not booting in Safe Mode could be f. ex. a damaged MBR, which I've seen to be repaired, or at least checked MANUALLY by a technician with some special editor.

As for Win PE, what is the advantage of Linux in front of booting through Win PE a live Win XP, which mounts the NTFS?

And for file-splitting, you are right, my point is just to do what can be done to facilitate the users who do not have NTFS. If it is too difficult, leave it of course. :D

Edited by Zlobomir

The thing is, his MBR had actually been repaired a few days previous (installed Linux and wiped MBR or whatever). Anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0