Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aztek

Selecting client language before installation

6 posts in this topic

Hi

I was wondering if you could add a small window when someone starts installation asking for the users language,

after that user clicks ok and everything is from that point in the users language :)

Is this possible ?

edit: this option would ofcourse not be if the user decides to use the binary download :)

edit2: since this might mean bigger setup file, when a user selects language the installer downloads automaticly the selected language from here, that ensurest always using the latest file :stuart:

The size of the setup file isn't really a problem, since SF hosts our files. Would you like the actualy program to be in the language specified or just the setup file instructions?

I read for myself like this: When user double clicks the installer, he will see just a window with drop-down box, containing the languages, OK and Cancel button. After he selects the desired language, everything, the setup and the program, should be in this language. If you are afraid of what I think you are afraid (no option for automatically setting the *.xml), then the end setup page may contain a brief instruction for changing the language by the user, of course in the language of the installer. I doubt the sense of a localized installer only, most users know to click yes or the option which ungrays "the button which does not lead to the previous screen". And they know how to contact PC support after this, of course. Mostly because they do not read at all. :) Some installers even rely on Win language options, but I hate doing change after program installation, just because some *.exe thinks it is more clever than me. Anyway, I meant the installers all look common and if smth is to be pain in the ass for the user, this would be the program, not the installer.

And I like the idea for downloading of lang files.

I read for myself like this: When user double clicks the installer, he will see just a window with drop-down box, containing the languages, OK and Cancel button. After he selects the desired language, everything, the setup and the program, should be in this language. If you are afraid of what I think you are afraid (no option for automatically setting the *.xml), then the end setup page may contain a brief instruction for changing the language by the user, of course in the language of the installer. I doubt the sense of a localized installer only, most users know to click yes or the option which ungrays "the button which does not lead to the previous screen". And they know how to contact PC support after this, of course. Mostly because they do not read at all. :) Some installers even rely on Win language options, but I hate doing change after program installation, just because some *.exe thinks it is more clever than me. Anyway, I meant the installers all look common and if smth is to be pain in the ass for the user, this would be the program, not the installer.

And I like the idea for downloading of lang files.

what he said :)

This is something we will take into consideration for the future, but don't expect it too soon.

it will solve another problem: incomplete localization in config-saved strings. for example, download log format initialized as

setDefault(LOG_FORMAT_POST_DOWNLOAD, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M: %[target]" + STRING(DOWNLOADED_FROM) + "%[userNI] (%[userCID]), %[fileSI] (%[fileSIchunk]), %[speed], %[time]");

and after user switched language, it is also in default (english).

so it will be good to set laguage.xml before first client start

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0