Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aerowin

Users downloading from unshared folders

12 posts in this topic

Please forgive me if this subject has been covered.. I'm getting a wee bit ticked off! :) I have people who are somehow going into my 'incomplete' folder (which is NOT now, nor has it EVER been marked for sharing) and downloading. Specifically, they are downloading movies at the same time I am downloading them from others. It's as if they are piggy-backing off of my download. I have closed their connection and they come back. I have blocked their IP and user name to no avail. It seems the only way I can get rid of them is to close down the hub they are connecting through. I have even talked to the hub ops who seem even more clueless than I am! I have tried sending private messages to these users and of course they don't answer.

I would greatly appreciate assistance in getting rid of these unwanted pests!

aero

It's called partial file sharing. A required anti-feature for ApexDC++. Like you described, it makes the downloader upload the file to others... which in turn allows you to get a faster speed because more people have the file. :)

I have even talked to the hub ops who seem even more clueless than I am!

wow, you have talked to OPs that you are a leecher and you don't want to upload? :P

wow, you have talked to OPs that you are a leecher and you don't want to upload? :P

erm...that is NOT what I said. I said that people were logging into a folder I do NOT have marked for sharing, and downloading from there.. I would assume people could only download from folders marked to share? Otherwise, whats to keep them from downloading from my docs.. or other personal folders? As for sharing.. The majority of the time I am uploading 2x what I'm downloading.. and freely give out extra slots to those who's speed seems to have problems dropping off. I'm not here to be selfish, but.. I do wish to be safe. I hope that clears things up a tad? :)

aero

It's called partial file sharing. A required anti-feature for ApexDC++. Like you described, it makes the downloader upload the file to others... which in turn allows you to get a faster speed because more people have the file. :P

So... are you saying that they are not actually logging into unmarked folders on my system, but rather my system is automatically uploading to others who are looking for the same file? if that's the case, thank you very much for explaining.. because the way it appears (especially to a noob), is that users are accessing files they have no permission to access.. which of course made me wonder whats to keep them from accessing anything else on my pc then? make sense? I thank you for your reply.. :)

aero

No, they are not logging into unmarked folders on your system( It works like torrents but after your download is finished that file won't be "shared" :) . ( unless u share it manually )

No, they are not logging into unmarked folders on your system( It works like torrents but after your download is finished that file won't be "shared" :) . ( unless u share it manually )

yayyyyyyyyyyyyy, an answer I fully understand! :) Thank you! Now I won't be so freaked out when I see it happening! :stuart:

...or if you have checked "Add finished files to share instantly (if shared)" in Settings, My Apex is having a small quarrell with the rest of the PC, so check the exact menu. This option means that if you download any new content in some root shared folder, this content will be added to your share automatically.

Checking "Add finished files to share instantly (if shared)" is done manually :)

Checking "Add finished files to share instantly (if shared)" is done manually :)

Yep, i know. :) But sometimes the users don't read and just check as many boxes as possible. :stuart:

...or if you have checked "Add finished files to share instantly (if shared)" in Settings, My Apex is having a small quarrell with the rest of the PC, so check the exact menu. This option means that if you download any new content in some root shared folder, this content will be added to your share automatically.

Believe it or not, I was AT LEAST smart enough to check all of my settings.. *laugh*! AND.. upon un-ticking that option, and finding no change in what was happening, it was at THAT point I came here for help. I REALLY am quite the noob.. Because of some personal probs (VERY jealous husband -now out of the picture), I spent a few years away from computers and the internet. Back when I was doing file sharing before.. .it was all done through FTP. This is MUCH different than ftp'ing, for sure.. but so much better! I'm having a wonderful time with it.. and truly appreciate all of the work that has gone into it! :)

Yep, i know. :) But sometimes the users don't read and just check as many boxes as possible. :stuart:

I read, I READ... ummmm... when I have to anyway.. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0