Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DW75

[Support] Repetitive crashing since 0.3.0

23 posts in this topic

apexstupiderrorwv1.jpg

Ever since "upgrading" to 0.3.0 Apex crashes frequently. Then i tested reinstalling 0.2.0 and it tends to stay running longer but still eventually crashes most of the time.

Before upgrade, 0.2.0 would generally crash maybe 1-2 per week of serious usage(8+ hours per day). 0.3.0 rarely stayed running more than 1 hour before crashing. 0.2.0 reinstalled now runs anything from 30 minutes to 12+ hours before crashing.

Have tested having zero other programs running, as well as running normally. Windows media player crashes sometimes when running at same time as Apex but otherwise i have seen no correlation.

And the above image is the only error message that appears.

Now for the FUN part however, as long as i dont click ok on the error message, Apex still up and downloads fine. Not quite sure if it starts new transfers as well but it certainly seem to complete anything already running just as if there had never been any crash.

However, whats that about "your op syst dont support the functionality needed..."?

Win 2K isnt supported by Apex? Its just the 2nd most used o/s today... Sounds rather odd?

My system is Win 2K Pro on:

MSI K7-D Master L

2*Athlon XP(MP) 2400+

1.5GB RAM

Geforce 7600GS

SB Live 5.1

120GB Hitachi HDD

2* 200GB Samsung/Maxtor HDD via Q-Tec IDE Raid card

Genica 10/100 NIC

LiteOn CDRW/DVD-RW

LiteOn CDRW

I dont have the slighest clue as to how to reproduce the crash as they seem to happen whenever. They have happened while i have been running workstation software, while running BSplayer just as often as its happened when the system has simply remained online running Apex overnight or merely browsing the web.

The error message means that for some reason ApexDC was unable to collect info that would help us in fixing this issue, so technically i cannot do anything to this unless you find 100% sure way to reproduce it, so i can recreate it on my system.

Win 2000 Pro is too old for bug reporting? Really? :)

Win 2000 Pro is too old for bug reporting? Really? :)

Remember that in Win 2000 case, it might also depend on what updates/service packs user does or doesn't have :)

Remember that in Win 2000 case, it might also depend on what updates/service packs user does or doesn't have :)

Well then, I would suggest updating at least to SP4 (or to latest possible/needed) and then sending us the report.

The error message means that for some reason ApexDC was unable to collect info that would help us in fixing this issue, so technically i cannot do anything to this unless you find 100% sure way to reproduce it, so i can recreate it on my system.

Can you give any information on how to get the damn thing to "crash properly"(and before 0.3.0 upgrade this error msg did not appear the few times it crashed)?

And why it can stay running even after it crashed(because that one really seems too odd)...

Pity otherwise, guess ill have to find another client to run, too much of a nuisance to get errors all the time, because a couple of times it caused the whole system lock up. So far fortunately without any loss of work data.

Can you give any information on how to get the damn thing to "crash properly"(and before 0.3.0 upgrade this error msg did not appear the few times it crashed)?

And why it can stay running even after it crashed(because that one really seems too odd)...

Pity otherwise, guess ill have to find another client to run, too much of a nuisance to get errors all the time, because a couple of times it caused the whole system lock up. So far fortunately without any loss of work data.

What about updating your OS (which may solve the crash even)?

What about updating your OS (which may solve the crash even)?

Its fully updated as of a few weeks ago.

I think Zlobomir ment to upgrade it to XP. However i dont think this is a solution (no offence Zlobomir, i use win 2k :)). the best way to get help on this is to do what crise said and try to find ot a way to reproduce this bug. This way crise can recreate the bug using a debug build and get the infomation neccasary to help.

No I meant installing all service packs, as Crise said above it depends on updates whether Win 2000 will report bugs or not... As balder is also a tester, and I am sure he has reported bugs with exceptioninfo.txt on Win 2000.

my appolagise. however i have never got a usefull exception file. mine always look like the below which are never that useful. Maybe i am missing the correct patch as well :)

Code: c0000005

Version: 0.1.0.21

Note: This report was generated by Alpha version!

Major: 5

Minor: 0

Build: 2195

SP: 4

Type: 1

Time: 2006-07-30 13:54:32

TTH: BFFKAKEY5SOIIA7A37B7HFHF6QOWO7X7T4PEYQI

Hm, let's clear out what updates are necessary then... /WANTED User with Windows 2000, Apex DC++ 0.3.0 and proper exception files. /WANTED :)

Or there is no better patch than balder's...?

I think Zlobomir ment to upgrade it to XP. However i dont think this is a solution (no offence Zlobomir, i use win 2k :)).

As im running dual physical cpu:s thats not an option, as it would require me to get XP Pro, and then it would almost be cheaper to get a new system altogether, which is also not an option.

the best way to get help on this is to do what crise said and try to find ot a way to reproduce this bug. This way crise can recreate the bug using a debug build and get the infomation neccasary to help.
Yeah, and thats a real problem as even though its happened, certainly 50+ times already, there is no pattern in the crashes. I tested a bunch of stuff already, to no effect, RAM, cpus, HDD, mainboard all checks out ok...

No I meant installing all service packs, as Crise said above it depends on updates whether Win 2000 will report bugs or not...

As i said: Its fully updated as of a few weeks ago.

Hm, let's clear out what updates are necessary then... /WANTED User with Windows 2000, Apex DC++ 0.3.0 and proper exception files. /WANTED

Dont forget, 0.2.0 worked decently, but once 0.3.0 had been installed once, even reinstalling the former only reduced the number of occurences, it didnt remove them.

So, is there something the latter version installs, but not the former?

"As i said: Its fully updated as of a few weeks ago. "

Yes, but balder gets some exceptioninfo.txt, and you can't get any at all. Or just Apex gives exception info up to 0.2.2 on Win 2000? Or exactly on fully updated Win 2000 Apex can't create exception info?

"As i said: Its fully updated as of a few weeks ago. "

Yes, but balder gets some exceptioninfo.txt, and you can't get any at all. Or just Apex gives exception info up to 0.2.2 on Win 2000? Or exactly on fully updated Win 2000 Apex can't create exception info?

I get one just as "useful" as Balders. Wasnt clear on that, my apology.

Code: c0000005

Version: 0.2.0

Major: 5

Minor: 0

Build: 2195

SP: 4

Type: 1

Time: 2006-12-17 18:51:30

TTH: 5FC7C6TKY4DJBVMWNFZGQI4WUUSFAJUMYAJLJDA

The only remaining option that I see is to remove any personal data and make a Ghost image or similar to send it to Crise, if he has a free partition and time to play. Funny, I know. :)

well i dont mind doing the testing but it would take ages for me to download this and im not sure uncle bill would be too impressed :)

well i dont mind doing the testing but it would take ages for me to download this and im not sure uncle bill would be too impressed :)

Not at all, especially if you forget to ask him. ;) It is not an OS anymore, it's just a LARGE bug report.

This error is likely to have something to do with your fast system dual physical cpu:s

Additional info...

Doing some logsearching the other day, i found a couple crashes correlating with "Creative service for CD-ROM access" starting up.

Disabled said service, and only had Apex crash twice since, and it stayed alive twice now for over 10 hours until i shut it down. Far to early to say anything certain how large the improvement is, but the number of crashes has definetly been reduced it seems.

Oh yes, if this means some of the Creative drivers, they are "great", f. ex. SB Live driver. :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0