Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nick Danger

Enhance client's performance cpu/memory usage

4 posts in this topic

a passing I thought I had the other day and recommended to a friend for their client, you can unload any resources not being used to display information to a client, ie: hub userlists that are large etc, whenever the client is minimized and not displaying anything to the user, or if it's in the systray, this should lower both cpu and memory usage, if the info is needed when the user restores the window, simply save the required info to disk when minimized then reload into memory when you restore the window. Let me know what you guys think

This should also unload the hubs, if possible to be done... You mean only some signal to prevent disconnection? May be done if the hub asks "Are you there yet", and the client says "Yep" on longer intervals...

As far as memory goes, windows is quite capable of dealing with putting unused memory on disk itself.

Of course it is still a good general principle to be efficient with memory and cpu usage, but I think this program is too old and sprawling to get much gain.

These are really core things I would ahve thought and would require a lot of changing and probably be hard to maintain in future when merging with other clients. If it was a simple task it would have been done, improving the efficiency or such a large program now would be far from an easy task.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0