omicron

Freeze

6 posts in this topic

Well I had one crash in the history of my relationship with ApexDc but that is not important. My HUGE problem is that I can't use ANY player audio or video in the same time with ApexDc. If I do dare, after a random amount of time the sistem freezes. Completly. Like removing the RAM. Chaneged Apex versions, codecs, players. Reinstaled the OS. Still.

On the tehnical note I do have a Xp service pack 2 adjusted with nlite. But it doesn't freeze on other occasions just when Apex and a player run thogetheder.

Smth with the Winamp toolbar?

For me this sounds rather like your RAM is damaged in a certain area.

As you describe it it seems that everything works fine as long as you use ApexDC or a player alone. Maybe, when using both at the same time, accidentally RAM is used up to that point that is damaged. Though I have no idea about RAM handling by applications.. :)

I'd suggest you check your RAM with memtest86 or a similar tool to make sure.

Or it may be some bug with DEP in Winboze, but not very likely. Yes, check the RAM first, with memtest 86 or on another PC. :)

No it in not the RAM. I suspected the same thing and tested myself a long time ago and just to make sure I tested it againg. No erors.

Other ideas?

Not much of an idea, and probably this won't help you, but I give it a shot:

I recently encountered similar troubles with a dell laptop. It occassionally froze, also whenever it happened, a certain application, a mail program, was running. Without this application I couldn't reproduce the freezing crash. But I'm not sure, though.

It all started after I removed the RAM. I didn't do anything with it and I also handled it very carefully. I put it right back into its slot, only wanted to see and compare what RAM there is in a laptop. And after that the computer froze again and again after running for like one hour or so, for no obvious reason.

After taking that RAM bar out and putting it back inside several times, making sure there's no dirt, no hair, no whatsoever in the way, by now that laptop seems to run stable again. Also, I checked the laptop with memtest86 and other RAM and hardware checking programs, without any errors. I even had that computer running for several days nonstop without that particular mailer, without any incidences. And after the first start of that mailer there still nothing happened, not anymore.

So I'm still not sure if it really was the RAM. But it started right one day after I had it opened.