Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
simion

utlility to cleanup queue?

15 posts in this topic

Is there some type of utility out there that can automatically clear all the VerifiedParts and FreeBlocks parameters in my queue? I've installed a new drive and my DL directory is now empty... I dont want Apex to resume thinking blocks already exist (which it seems to do). Thanks for any info.

found a quick way to do this, install regular dc++, put your queue in that install, it will clean it up, then put the clean queue back into apex... one thing this proves is apex really does need to check that verified blocks still exists before it resumes or at least have the option... it really is important.

no it's not important, because when information is in queue.xml, it means that it exists (that's the purpose of queue.xml)

so you're telling me its perfectly ok for apex to assume that a section of file exists when it clearly does not and call the file complete? if thats the case, people will unfortunately look to other clients over time as they repeatedly encounter these issues. apex is not perfect, let along a PC under normal circumstances. If apex encounters a fatal bug and for some reason does not flush out its buffers correctly causing the queue to be inaccurate, I don't want to lose every partial download and have to fix my queue... kind of silly to expect people to do that. (by the way i'm not trying to bash apex, its a good work in progress)

I should say, if VerifiedParts and FreeBlocks is not present in queue.xml entry, multisource segmented downloading also won't work - it downloads only from 1 source.

so you're telling me its perfectly ok for apex to assume that a section of file exists when it clearly does not and call the file complete? if thats the case, people will unfortunately look to other clients over time as they repeatedly encounter these issues. apex is not perfect, let along a PC under normal circumstances. If apex encounters a fatal bug and for some reason does not flush out its buffers correctly causing the queue to be inaccurate, I don't want to lose every partial download and have to fix my queue... kind of silly to expect people to do that. (by the way i'm not trying to bash apex, its a good work in progress)

if you don't have any hardware problem (as me or many other people) than you will never have some problem with corrupted downloads. I downloaded tens of GB in last weeks) and nothing of it was corrupted (I always manually check whether TTH matches).

if you don't have any hardware problem (as me or many other people) than you will never have some problem with corrupted downloads. I downloaded tens of GB in last weeks) and nothing of it was corrupted (I always manually check whether TTH matches).

A planned upgrade is not in any case a hardware failure. And if the DC++ client can be made to accept such data changes, why not??? This feature can be optional (user-activated only if needed), no need to code from the ground... :)

Edited by Zlobomir

I agree, the system should verify first, millions of people upgrade pcs every year and dont want to lose imprtant files to curruption due to something that should be an easy fix.

right. i mean when it comes down to it, the thing is people use P2P for really one thing, to transfer files. A client can have all the bells and whistles, but if it cant handle changes that or issues that can happen under normal use without corrupting even a few files, then its not really living up to its primary goal. just my opinion.

just try to change path of your system registry and your windows won't simply boot without any try to fix the problem.

just try to change path of your system registry and your windows won't simply boot without any try to fix the problem.

Argh, did smo notice that if you pull the power cable out of the plug the PC won't even try to start? :)

Absolutelly failsafe system doesn't exist! I could speak so, because I'm an hardware engeneer (microcontrollers and so). Errors would happen, this is a rule for any system. And programmer should take into consideration any possibilities might happen in a working system and handle them.

Argh, did smo notice that if you pull the power cable out of the plug the PC won't even try to start? :)

if you do it during saving system registry then it won't start :) it happened to me in the past :blink:

I meant that if the PC is not supplied with 110 V or 220 V when you hit the button, it won't start. Just trying to show how ridiculous the "what if..." examples usually are. :blink: And as amp said, actions must be taken according to the worst you can expect. If it doesn't happen - ok, but if it happens - better be prepared for it...

yes and StrongDC++ is prepared for the worst situtation which it can occur by its own activity.

(What about making ready for situtation "if hacker attack my downloaded files, StrongDC++ should recognize it" :blink: )

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0