Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lain_13

Private share and other methods of using minilists

7 posts in this topic

In some cases I need to share some files private. Only for 1 user. For example some photos, video or CD disk in drive (legal! ;) ).

What about creating little filelist for one folder and add ability to send this file for this user. Until I have this file on my side, they can download files from me but any other cant see this files.

p.s. Also it can be used for CD/DVD catalogization and searching needed files... ;) I think it's really great option! Maybe somebody write plugin or standalone program for this style of using little standalone filelists.

On this moment I need:

1. Start new instance of apex.

2. Going to 1 hub.

3. Sharing folder.

4. Saying friend to start downloading files from me.

5. Closing hub.

What's wrong? Exist period when somebody other can download my filelist and start downloading files with my friend! It's private files! I don't want allow anybody to see them! I'm not greedy. But some information not for all... Only for close friends and kins. Right?

Also I'm already share in my network more than 40 Gb of different information for all. How can I share some files private without creating own hub?

Won't happen, or at least i am not doing it.... ;) (even though i'd have use for similar feature myself)

Won't happen, or at least i am not doing it.... ;) (even though i'd have use for similar feature myself)

I know, what this option can be useful for me, but useless for somebody else... ;)

But maybe somebody other want this option too? Hey! Peoples!

p.s. Also with this functionality we can check integrity of many files at one time. For example on CD or DVD. This ability can be integrated into Apex or user can compare 2 filelists manually using Total Commander compare function... Or some else software...

p.p.s. If in apex appears local filelists browser with search and ability adding comments to filelists... It's be really COOL! :) I mean at left side we see directories with filelists and can open any filelist like directory, see they content and compare with other... but I want to many. :) Or not?

How can I share some files private without creating own hub?

I think there are plenty of possibilities outside DC. DC is basically there for chatting and file sharing, so actually it's not in the spirit of DC to share files privately. That's why I think it will rather be hard to find someone implementing this to a DC client. ;)

What else you can do is sending it per eMail, for starters. Of course only when it's just few pics or so. Another thing you can do is upload it to some free file host like fileXoom or HostMyFile and supply your friends with the link. This way you only need to upload it once. And for privacy, you could either compress it to an password protected archive or with some hosters you can also password protect the hosted directories.

Well, of course this will mean more work for you, but it's not much more than setting up a private hub. And since you can delete the files from the host server after everyone downloaded it, I think also the privacy should be given.

Another way would be to open an HTTP file server or FTP server on your machine and supply your pals with the links as well - as long as it's not blocked through a NAT - and even block everyone else via firewall. Or letting them connect via SSH to your machine to download files via SCP (assuming that an sshd server is installed), though setting up access rights for windows users is a little tricky I think and/or you should really trust your friends. (Think about what might happen if someone sends 'shutdown -f -s now' to your machine in an SSH shell or 'format /x c:'? - Yes, it's an urban legend, but it could work...)

So, as you see, you have many ways to do that.

;)

I know this ways. I trying make Apex more universal. If it's absolutely not needed, I'm not insist.

But this option add to DC absolutely new functions, what can be useful for other.

Also some peoples have large collections of disks with video or audio or something else (this video can be illegal, or copyrighted... but peoples is peoples... I have large collection of anime and don't know legal it or not... I think some files illegal... but how can I understand what?... I hate licenses... it's useless idea... ;)Pirate party forever!).

If they can make this filelists and share it. And if another can download it and add to own library, they can know what files creator of this minilists have on CD or DVD. And user can send PM to owner of minilist with request to share this disk.

What about this variant of using minilists? I have many DVD with anime and want for other know what I have. I know, what exists Excel, Access, PHP+MySQL, Catalogizators and other interest soft... But why not? It's really strong and universal function with wide range of using methods.

p.s. Can any administrator or moderator change name of this topic on "Private share and other methods of using minilists"?

This should be possible with any older DC client: Open a client, share the folders you want, after hashing and everything it's in somewhere in files.xml.bz2 or MyFiles.DcLst or something like that. Those files can be moved and renamed properly and then be shared and it should be possible to open them with other clients. At least that's the way I did it in my old client from time to time. Though I couldn't find out right now how to do this easily in ApexDC. Maybe I will try again later...

Also, you could connect with to clients to a hub, one client sharing the files you wish to catalogue. When you get this clients filelist with the other client, you should have the same.

Again, I did not test this on Apex or any other current DC client. Maybe also this does not work anymore.

But yes, way more complicated than it would be with your suggestion. ;)

Can any administrator or moderator change name of this topic on "Private share and other methods of using minilists"?

Done.

As for the actual feature request, sure it'd be nice to have but it's really something which isn't possible, and it's not really what DC is about. Not only would it be hard to code, but it would also be hard to intergrate into the GUI I would have thought. For that kind of stuff I just use MSN, but it has the serious flaw of not being resumable... although I have transfered films over MSN previously.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0