bdforbes

Update check: could not verify origin of information

5 posts in this topic

I'm running ApexDC++ v1.5.12.2141 on Windows 7 64-bit. When I get home to my computer each day and check ApexDC, there is a dialog box reading "Update check: could not verify origin of information". I click close but another one pops up, and this continues ad infinitum. I have to kill the process and restart ApexDC for it to work.

I suspect the problem is that I live in student accommodation and I have a web-based login to get internet access. I don't leave it logged in all day. So ApexDC is trying to check for updates but is just getting the web-based login page instead.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

There is no real workaround for this at the moment, luckily it should be easy enough to fix. Although I really can't say I can see a reason to leave apexdc running when you are not logged onto the network (unless that session somehow times out, but it would seem rather unusable if it does, to me anyways).

To be completely honest I never considered a fail state like this where the internet access is not "real", although I would criticize the implementation of it in your case, to use the 200 (OK) http status code for the login page seems frankly to be a wrong choice. It should either use one of the 4xx codes or even possibly some unusual application of one of the 3xx codes (I assume it already does signal redirect, if it is in any way competent). Because the response is not what an application would ever know to expect.

Edit: this should be fixed on our end in the next version... whenever that might be.

Thanks for the response Crise. I leave DC on because the local network is always accessible even when not logged in, and I only use DC to share with people on the network. Anyway, thanks for handling this, I'll just patiently wait for the next version.

In case you happen to see this, can you verify the fix for this in 1.5.13 (I am pretty confident it is good, but I can not test it with you specific configuration of course).

I've installed the update, I'll let you know if it's good. I should know within a couple of days.

EDIT: And thanks for the fix :)