Deadwing

Connection Settings for a VPN

4 posts in this topic

I am able to connect, download and upload just fine with my normal connection through a router and Windows 8 firewall and the latest version of ApexDC++.

But am not having any luck downloading or uploading when I turn on my VPN (HideMyAss).

Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Do you pay for the VPN service? For free users they may have some kind of restricions based on ports/protocols...

Yes, I am a paid customer and looked into their policy on sharing before signing up...they are cool with it.

Do I need to open different ports in my router for the different IP address possibly? Just a thought...

No, you shouldn't need to do any setup on your physical network. When you are connected through a VPN, it appears as if you were physically elsewhere.

Now if you are getting timeouts, then check your firewall/security software (try turning it off if you have any, including the windows one). If not, then maybe there is another layer of security (firewall) on the side of VPN provider. That should be configurable somewhere under your account settings when you login via some sort of web management interface if they provide any. Or you can just ask them if there is any extra firewall in their network :)