DragonQ

Program startup time with SSD is no faster than with HDD

2 posts in this topic

Hi, I have an SSD (OCZ Vertex 2E, 120 GB) and I'm wondering why ApexDC++ is the only program on my PC that hasn't benefited in terms of loading times? Even JDownloader benefits from an SSD a lot (< 5 s instead of ~20 s for a cold boot startup) but ApexDC++ still takes ~10 s to load (cold boot, ~3 s subsequently), which is no quicker than when I used an HDD as my OS drive. Most of this time is spent "Loading: Shared Files". For reference, I'm sharing ~2 TiB of stuff.

What exactly is it doing during this time? I thought it'd just be reading the hash database but this should be fast as it's on the SSD. I can't be going through all of my shared files cos that would take much longer than 10 s surely?

Thanks for any info!

Hi, I have an SSD (OCZ Vertex 2E, 120 GB) and I'm wondering why ApexDC++ is the only program on my PC that hasn't benefited in terms of loading times? Even JDownloader benefits from an SSD a lot (< 5 s instead of ~20 s for a cold boot startup) but ApexDC++ still takes ~10 s to load (cold boot, ~3 s subsequently), which is no quicker than when I used an HDD as my OS drive. Most of this time is spent "Loading: Shared Files". For reference, I'm sharing ~2 TiB of stuff.

What exactly is it doing during this time? I thought it'd just be reading the hash database but this should be fast as it's on the SSD. I can't be going through all of my shared files cos that would take much longer than 10 s surely?

Thanks for any info!

Hi DragonQ, I have the new Vertex 3 and haven't noticed much in terms of speed improvements. However, if your share is not on the SSD is will still take the same time to load your share.