Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeorgeCarey

Possible Virus?

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a virus problem which I am trying to sort out. I was attacked earlier today and have removed everything that seems related to the virus except for the presence of some small tasks that reappear. I run a program called 'The Ultimate Trouble Shooter' which lists all Startups and Tasks. It shows various tasks like Wbekea, Wbekeb and Wbekec. The origin of these is given as ApexDC++.

I do not recall ever installing ApexDC++ but perhaps some other software loaded it.

I have great difficulty in deleting Wbekea, Wbekeb and Wbekec.

Can you please confirm whether or not these are valid ApexDC++ programs?

Thanks,

George

Hello,

I have a virus problem which I am trying to sort out. I was attacked earlier today and have removed everything that seems related to the virus except for the presence of some small tasks that reappear. I run a program called 'The Ultimate Trouble Shooter' which lists all Startups and Tasks. It shows various tasks like Wbekea, Wbekeb and Wbekec. The origin of these is given as ApexDC++.

I do not recall ever installing ApexDC++ but perhaps some other software loaded it.

I have great difficulty in deleting Wbekea, Wbekeb and Wbekec.

Can you please confirm whether or not these are valid ApexDC++ programs?

Thanks,

George

The only way ApexDC++ could ever land on your computer is if somebody downloaded and installed it.

I have never heard of the above programs and are not associated with ApexDC++ in anyway. Maybe you downloaded them?

Either way, purchase some decent Anti-Virus and Anti-malware programs and do full scans. Hijackthis is a better tool than "The Ultimate Trouble Shooter".

Good luck. :)

Thanks Lee,

I have Hijackthis but it does not show Wbekea.exe which keeps popping up in C:Windows. I can delete it but it reappears.

But at least I know that it is not a genuine part of ApexDC++

There must be another process somewhere that recreates Wbekea.exe whenever it is deleted.

George

The only way ApexDC++ could ever land on your computer is if somebody downloaded and installed it.

I have never heard of the above programs and are not associated with ApexDC++ in anyway. Maybe you downloaded them?

Either way, purchase some decent Anti-Virus and Anti-malware programs and do full scans. Hijackthis is a better tool than "The Ultimate Trouble Shooter".

Good luck. :)

Maybe "The ultimate trouble shooter" is the malware itself; sounds like that. I mean, these days, such behavior is more and more popular. I recommend using some well-known tools such as Comodo antivirus and Spybot to delete the remains/other threats.

Maybe "The ultimate trouble shooter" is the malware itself; sounds like that. I mean, these days, such behavior is more and more popular. I recommend using some well-known tools such as Comodo antivirus and Spybot to delete the remains/other threats.

Thanks. I may get Spybot. The Ultimate Troubleshooter is a legit program. I have used it for many years. I think I located the problem. I started in Safe Mode and then ran The Ultimate Troubleshooter. It showed a process called OTGV1DNWQQ running which was associated with Wjr.exe residing in Appdata/Local/Temp.

I disabled the process and deleted Wjr.exe.

Wbekea, Wbekeb and Wbekec were all in C:\Windows, and all purported to belong to ApexDC++

Being in safe mode I could delete them.

Rebooted and all seems well.

Thanks. I may get Spybot. The Ultimate Troubleshooter is a legit program. I have used it for many years. I think I located the problem. I started in Safe Mode and then ran The Ultimate Troubleshooter. It showed a process called OTGV1DNWQQ running which was associated with Wjr.exe residing in Appdata/Local/Temp.

I disabled the process and deleted Wjr.exe.

Wbekea, Wbekeb and Wbekec were all in C:\Windows, and all purported to belong to ApexDC++

Being in safe mode I could delete them.

Rebooted and all seems well.

Spybot has deteriorated in recent years but still free, I'd suggest Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. :)

Let us know if you're problem returns. It's strange how they associate it with ApexDC++, maybe you downloaded the virus through the program?

I have never downloaded ApexDC++. I didn't even know what it was for. I suspect the virus writers borrowed the name because it looks official in a list of tasks and processes.

My computer seems to be still clear this morning which is a relief.

The programs Wbekea, Wbekeb and Wbekec do not feature at all in Google searches so this must be a very new virus.

I have never downloaded ApexDC++. I didn't even know what it was for. I suspect the virus writers borrowed the name because it looks official in a list of tasks and processes.

My computer seems to be still clear this morning which is a relief.

The programs Wbekea, Wbekeb and Wbekec do not feature at all in Google searches so this must be a very new virus.

LOL, if nothing else, I bet I am not the only one that ran search for those files names eh.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0