privatemeta

Minimize to tray stopped working (1.3.1)

7 posts in this topic

I updated to 1.3.1 on Win7x64, and now the "Minimize to Tray" functionality stopped working. I tried to deactivate MtT and reactivate it in the settings, but it did not work, the symbol (unpinned) stays in the taskbar.

More detailed info on it in here:

People, please at least read the changelog before you report a bug, thank you :angry:.

KurKursk likes this

More detailed info on it in here: http://forums.apexdc...dpost__p__26699

People, please at least read the changelog before you report a bug, thank you :angry:.

As it doesn't really matter WHERE i reply to that:

I really don't like it when I have an application like that not being able to minimize to tray. From time to time I have smaller screen size set and every icon counts.

Apart from that I know quite a lot of people who set the icons on Windows 7 from hiding label to always show label, it's just their favorite.

It's good that you incorporate functionality into the taskbar, but it's not like you have to delete the old tray functionality. Please leave it as a configurable choice. If you have to, set the default to not hide in the tray, but at least let me save a little bit of space with applications I REALLY don't need in the taskbar (and yes, although I like ApexDC++, I really don't need it there all the time).

Please give me a good reason apart from "We are the devs, we can decide that" and "Other apps do like win messenger that too" - I don't like the fact that messenger doesn't hide to tray either, so that's not a valid argument for me (and I guess for a lot of others too).

I already answered to one of your questions in that post I linked to... ie. that if it was possible to accurately detect the mode of the taskbar we would have made the tray behaviour adapt to that but it's not Microsoft does not provide an API to get the new taskbar settings programmatically, nor is there any well documented workarounds to do it.

Also since there is no accurate way to detect the new settings then it only makes sense that we work for/with the default settings.

Regarding "other apps are doing it" not being a valid argument... actually that was not my argument to begin with, I just used Windows Live Messenger as an example since it is commonly used application.

Other apps are starting to do it, yes, but did you ever consider why? Because the whole idea of the taskbar changes in Win7 is that every app that has a presence on the desktop is in the taskbar and to have one place for launching and interacting with an application. What we call system tray is notifications area in Win7 hence most icons get hidden by default, when there are no notifications, thanks to windows (which actually means that users who don't change settings need more clicks to get to the tray icon than before).

Also did you really read the changelog as I suggested... because if your did, the answer for all your questions lies in there:

Change: Always minimises to taskbar in Windows 7 (Run in Compatibility mode if you want to revert)

Same trick can be used with Windows Live Messenger afaik, in case you really want a tray icon for it as well btw. :angry:.

Skype does not minimize to tray either. Most programs that able to are either daemon-like (hence they have no main window somehow) or can't use jumplists. Bawww.

Since some tray icons can be always visible, it's a pity that lots of great programs can't have jumplist compatibility and tray minimizing ability at the same time.

TBH I miss it too, I prefer the way uTorrent deals with it, giving users the choice.

So we give the users an option, and we still get complaints? I don't get it.

To disable this new Windows 7 behaviour, run ApexDC++ in compatibility by right clicking on the exe file and hitting properties.

Closed (its not a bug). Use topic Crise linked too.