pprucha

100% CPU Utilisation

22 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm a long term user of StrongDC++ and now I have changed to ApexDC because of problems with very high CPU utilization. So far it was very difficult to find any thoughts that will help. What I managed to prove is that there is direct link between this problem and number of users. Today I have had 100% CPU since I have started the application. I'm downloading 2 files and only disconnecting all hubs gets the CPU down to a reasonable level.

Definitely it is not caused by hashing or DMA settings as it is on many related threats on the internet.

I will appreciate any help ????

Staff edit: The answer to this issues is posted below.

Yes, it is most probably similar issue however CPU behaviour is a bit different. My CPU jumps to 100% and stays there for hours. No peaks or waves. On the stacks view it is changing and you can see it looks like related to TCP connections ???

post-23007-1240647406_thumb.jpg

post-23007-1240647432_thumb.jpg

Not really TCP connections, looks like plugin API functions to me.

By the way, it looks like your Process Explorer is showing invalid values for CPU usage. 52.38 + 43.75 + 42.86 is way more than 100%. :blink:

Hi

I think the CPU values are having some time overlap and that's why they don't add to 100%. The values in real time are changing very fast. Do you have any suggestions how to deal with it? Is there anybody from the developers looking at this forum to answer? Rgds Peter

Same problem here. CPU jumps to 100 % and stalling Apex for about 2 minutes at times. Only plugin I have is the Media Bar plugin and was not being used. Never had that problem in the past. Please find a solution to this.

a nice way to help out is be disabling plugins to see if those can be the cause instead of just posting about the problem thus repeating pretty much whatever everybody said in the previous posts

Same problem here. CPU jumps to 100 % and stalling Apex for about 2 minutes at times.

What version of Apex?

Reply to Rolex, I was forced to upgrade to version 1.21. Never had this CPU problem befor and yes I did remove that plugin and still it is the same

Reply to Rolex, I was forced to upgrade to version 1.21. Never had this CPU problem befor and yes I did remove that plugin and still it is the same

Read my reply to your other post and if that does not help then you do have to tell us more about your specific setup in order for us to be able to assist you in any way :).

I have to agree with Excalibur. Today when amounts of users in my 32 hubs are high I can once again (exactly as in 1.2.0) reproduce the 100% CPU usage with 1.2.1.

My previous posts about this issue: showtopic=3264

What am I going to do now? I'm forced to 1.2.1, can't go back to 1.1.0, but still got a server to run on this PC. 100% CPU usage isn't good for server applications at all.

post-4587-124930687685_thumb.png

I have to agree with Excalibur. Today when amounts of users in my 32 hubs are high I can once again (exactly as in 1.2.0) reproduce the 100% CPU usage with 1.2.1.

My previous posts about this issue: showtopic=3264

What am I going to do now? I'm forced to 1.2.1, can't go back to 1.1.0, but still got a server to run on this PC. 100% CPU usage isn't good for server applications at all.

cpu.png

I have been trying to reproduce this problem. So far I have not managed. I am wondering if you have tried with your firewall off?

Rolex: Going back on versions doesn't really help localizing the problem at hand.

I have been trying to reproduce this problem. So far I have not managed. I am wondering if you have tried with your firewall off?

How many hubs do you have opened and how many users are there in every of those hubs? What PC specifications have you got?

No, haven't tried turning Windows firewall off. How would it affect the client? Client is receiving and sending data to the socket no matter if the firewall blocks it or not.

Rolex: Going back on versions doesn't really help localizing the problem at hand.

What more information do you need except the one you already got here: showtopic=3264 ?

Have you disabled TLS in the security settings page?

Settings > Advanced > Security: "Use TLS when remote client supports it".

Did you fresh install 1.2.1? If not, that is the reason why the latest version is still affected by this 100% CPU usage problem.

Did you fresh install 1.2.1? If not, that is the reason why the latest version is still affected by this 100% CPU usage problem.

Got your point, I should have read changelog better.

Change: Re-worded TLS option in Security settings page (disabled by default - please enable if you wish to use encrypted hubs)

Much better this time, continuing to love Apex! :)

Thank you Lee.

Got your point, I should have read changelog better.

Much better this time, continuing to love Apex! :)

Thank you Lee.

I've modified our release announcement in order to reflect this information, hopefully it will help out the rest of the users experiencing a similar problem.

I've modified our release announcement in order to reflect this information, hopefully it will help out the rest of the users experiencing a similar problem.

Sorry folks I have to add one more to this string.

This morning I started getting users from the hub complaining about apex using abnormal amounts of ram, one user had it sucking down 500 mb, so I checked mine, This is with nothing going out or coming in on the downloads and only one hub open.

[09:43:18]

-=[ ApexDC++ 1.2.1 Compiled on: 2009-07-11 ]=-

-=[ Uptime: 2 days 12 hours 38 min ][ Cpu time: 0:07:17 ]=-

-=[ Memory usage (peak): 91.93 MiB (91.99 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Virtual memory usage (peak): 306.29 MiB (306.36 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Downloaded: 1.42 GiB ][ Uploaded: 568.92 MiB ]=-

-=[ Total download: 158.82 GiB ][ Total upload: 354.32 GiB ]=-

-=[ System Uptime: 2 days 15 hours 6 min ]=-

-=[ CPU Clock: 2499.730108 MHz ]=-

Something ain't Kosher with that much usage I had been running about 38%, I wouldn't think to much of it, if it wasn't for the fact that were getting complaints from a lot of apex users on the hub.

thanks

Ok it looks like a restart took care of the problem on my side....so, what ever it is must be a creeper, after a restart and an hour n' half the stats look way better.

-=[ Uptime: 1 hour 30 min 9 sec ][ Cpu time: 0:00:08 ]=-

-=[ Memory usage (peak): 25.73 MiB (41.02 MiB) ]=-

-=[ Virtual memory usage (peak): 31.47 MiB (39.81 MiB) ]=-