Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RoLex

[1.1.0] Random freeze when pressing Enter for private frame

42 posts in this topic

Hi.

I have ran into a very annoying bug with latest version of ApexDC++. I have lately started to use PM alot, and create long dialogues with users. So today is second day the client simply freezes (not responding) after a while of chatting, can not say exactly how much time, it is completely random. But what I have noticed is that it happens only when I press Enter key on my keyboard. The exact moment when I release the key, and the message is about to disappear from text field, but it doesn't, the client is now frozen.

I have also been trying to reproduce this, but without any luck at all, there is something with this pressing Enter, but what?

This has been noticed since 2 days ago, I have actually never used PM so much before. Hopefully someone will try to run into same problem and maybe look at the PrivateFrame::onChar() and PrivateFrame::onEnter() functions.

Thank you.

Quck reply here, found a way how to reproduce the bug.

I find my hub bot a good target (:(), it doesn't read any PM's, so I continuously fast-write some crap on the keyboard and press Enter, write some crap and Enter.. After some 25 lines the client freezes. Try this please.

hmm this bug make us two crise, because i was looking for it for a long time ^^

I dunno but I am fairly certain that if this is not a bug inherited from SDC the reason is most likely the client pointer in privateframe...

i thought it might be too much critical section.... but now, client pointer is stored in chat ctrl :>

Not in all cases if I am not mistaken, sometimes even SDC has client pointer in privateframe now (since it was added as an argument to some functions)

yep, but it isnt stored in frame, so imo it doesn't matter... btw if pointer would be bad, you would get access violation rather than freeze

yep, but it isnt stored in frame, so imo it doesn't matter... btw if pointer would be bad, you would get access violation rather than freeze

Yeah, that is true... I am clueless then.

tip: when you will be able to reproduce it, place breakpoints on each line to the place where nothing special happens when you're sending pm (in pm frame and in corresponding classes in dcpp lib as well) then watch on which breakpoint app will stop... this might give you a clue (i used to look for deadlocks in this way)

Hmm, there obviously must be some special conditions.... I crapped bot PM but couldn't catch that freeze... :( Well, does other party responses are important in this situation when client freezes? (my bot replies with a single phrase immed after smb PMs it).

No, the response isn't important. It's a client-side issue.

Btw, I use Windows XP Professional SP3 if that helps.

Yes, I can reproduce it, in any hub (the issue is at client-side, so no hub matters), by sending simple PM. Two or less minutes would be enough to do that.

You want me to test anything? Maybe if you give me a modded version, with breakpoints, I can help somehow? I'm currently waiting for stable release of STL port that supports latest version of Visual Studio. Would like to do some coding and return the media toolbar. :(

you can get stlport svn snapshot, it works with recent version of visual studio.

it would be nice, if you run it in debug mode. when app will freeze, pause process in debugger and copy assembly here...

Allright, will do later today when my hangover has passed. :( To be continued.

No, the response isn't important. It's a client-side issue.

Btw, I use Windows XP Professional SP3 if that helps.

Windows XP SP2, not SP3 with no updates installed... Well, will try again...

To be continued.

Just got fresh subversion of STL port from SF.net and I can not compile it with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008. STL port does not yet have any compiler that works together with VC9, and choosing msvc8 is not helping.

use svn version...

Just got fresh subversion of STL port from SF.net...

I beg you a pardon Crise, I used wrong subversion URL.

I used 5.1 trunk:

svn co https://stlport.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/stlport/branches/STLPORT_5_1/STLport STLport-5.1
Instead of the latest one:
svn co https://stlport.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/stlport/trunk stlport

Will compile it and try finding the problem in ApexDC++. Thank you.

I can sadly not reproduce the bug using my own build, not with debug build, not with release build. I can only do that using your official release executable. :)

What can possibly cause this?

I use MSVS2008, latest subversion of STL port, WTL downloaded from StrongDC++ FTP, VLD and other includes uploaded by Alana (post link). All files were downloaded 2-3 hours ago.

I don't know what to do, atleast it doesn't bug me anymore, but would be sad if problem still occurres withing next release. I'm waiting for further instructions from you.. :)

I can sadly not reproduce the bug using my own build, not with debug build, not with release build. I can only do that using your official release executable. :)

What can possibly cause this?

I use MSVS2008, latest subversion of STL port, WTL downloaded from StrongDC++ FTP and other includes uploaded by Alana.

Use latest official WTL... (wtl.sourceforge.net), and you should also discard all the include files uploaded by Alana, if you installed VS2008 with all the sdks coming with it all of those single file includes (wmp, winfirewall, natupnp etc.) should not be needed, besides the files shipped with VS2008 are most likely newer anyways.

When I tried to compile first time yesterday, it required vld.h which couldn't be found anywhere. So I added those stuff by Alana.

Just found where to get VLD includes and libs. But should I use latest beta or version 1.0?

Thank you.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0