Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
catmandj

WiFi Network Interface goes missing with 1.1.0

5 posts in this topic

I tried searching for this topic but had no success, hence this post.

BTW - Thank YOU everyone for producing such an excellent DC client ! ! !

My issue:

After upgrading to 1.1.0, and connecting to my usual private hub, and uploads and downloads start, within seconds or sometimes up to a minute my WiFi Network connection on this Vista Home Premium DELL just goes away (disappears completely).

My WiFi adapter is a LinkSys USB dongle.

The only way to get the connection back is to unplug the USB adapter and plug it back in (or reboot the machine).

Device Manager still shows the USB device as functional and working properly even when the issue occurs, yet in the Control Panel -> Network and Sharing shows no available networks even (even if I rescan or manually re-join my local home network).

All of the Windows Vista Event Logs show nothing of interest as to why this event occurred.

The Apex Log files show nothing out of the ordinary either.

This issue does not happen under version 1.0.1 of ApexDC.

ipconfig before the issue shows:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter #4

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F8-A4-B5-71

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.16.1.100(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:52:02 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:52:01 AM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.16.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.16.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 71.243.0.12

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

ipconfig after the issue:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter #4

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F8-A4-B5-71

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Also- I have no anti-virus running nor installed at this time. Windows Firewall is disabled. I have a LinkSys router WRT54G as the WiFi access point and two other WiFi clients on the network (both of which are running fine without any issues). Nothing has changed on the network other than the ApexDC version.

I can run all my other networking applications separate from ApexDC client on this same DELL PC without any issues (uTorrent, Browsers, etc.).

I'm still searching these forums for answers . . .

Help?????

Thanks!

The info her is not enough to see exactly what is happening. Try ensuring that power saving is turned off within your usb properties, also, are you able to search download?

If you can, does this happen while a file is transferring or does it happen regardless?

Did it happen on 1.0.1?

Also, do the lights on your router stay on as connected? What about other pc's in your network are they connected?

Is there a pattern to this, does it happen when you doing certain things?

The info her is not enough to see exactly what is happening. Try ensuring that power saving is turned off within your usb properties, also, are you able to search download?

If you can, does this happen while a file is transferring or does it happen regardless?

Did it happen on 1.0.1?

Also, do the lights on your router stay on as connected? What about other pc's in your network are they connected?

Is there a pattern to this, does it happen when you doing certain things?

Heya Satan, thanks for replying. Here's more info:

Power saving is disabled for this and all network adapters (USB included).

I cannot perform a Search at all with ApexDC as this problem occurs too fast. However, I did connect to a different hub and successfully perform a search.

This problem seems to only happen when transferring files.

With "Hub A" when I connect, my Upload and Download queues for that hub have entries in them, so my client immediate starts to perform the transfers.

With "Hub B" that I successfully performed a search operation on, it has no outstanding Upload or Download queue entries, and this whole issue does not occur.

Hub A shows this problem.

Hub B does not show this problem.

This problem did not occur on version 1.0.1.

The lights on my router are all on indicating the network is fine. All other PC's continue to communicate with the internet and with each other just fine. Only this PC with ApexDC running on it loses it's network interface when connected to Hub A.

I was considering going back to version 1.0.1 to see if the problem occurs. I think it will not occur, as I have been running 1.0.1 on that same hub with constant file transfers for months without any issues at all.

Let me know if you need any other details, and thank you!

catmandj - Mike

Looks like this issue is resolved:

As Crise stated in another post nearby:

Always finish current downloads before upgrading... is all I have to say...

After I removed the outstanding entry from the Download Queue manually before connecting to the Hub, the problem no longer happens. I can search and am now re-downloading the file again.

Sorry for wasting the time and bandwidth here, and thanks for your help.

~ catmandj

I was leaning towards a download queue issue. Glad you got it sorted though :( Still a nuisance though that it happens in the first place. But so far I have seen no pattern in the download queue problems.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0