Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sish

Does uploading of incompleted downloads still work in 1.0.1?

4 posts in this topic

Today I was uploading a large file (3GB) to two users at the same time. One of them had about 900MB of it complete before the other started but for some reason the two people I was uploading to weren't able to share their incomplete parts between each other. This meant that I was the only one doing the uploading. I could've sworn that it usually shares incomplete files between users automatically so that, for example, the one with 900MB already starts uploading his part to the other guy that just started off me to reduce some of the load.

We waited a while for the second user to see if it was something to do with the search for alternates to see if he could pick up the 900MB of incomplete file but no luck there. Both users were still only getting it from me.

Is there a problem or am I imagining this feature ever existed? I know that's how it is in torrents but I can't recall if it works the same in ApexDC++.

Hrm, i'm not sure if this is the answer but it's the best theory I can come up with for this problem:

I'm uploading file foo.iso to users A and B at same time.

User B is already uploading a different file (bar.iso) to user A.

Does this prevent sharing of partial segments between users A and B of file foo.iso because user A can't get a slot from user B because he already has one for the bar.iso file?

Or should partial segments in alternate downloads only take up small file slots?

Ah.

The problem causing this was because one of the users I was uploading to only had their TCP port forwarded and not UDP. Once that user forwarded their UDP port they could receive alternates and automatically search for alternates during downloads.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0