Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stormsurfer

Beyond YnHub

5 posts in this topic

I run my university's primary hub (Yn), with user counts of upto 500. We have (we as in, I and the hub moderators) made it compulsory for all users to write their description (name, dorm etc) to avoid any kind of untoward incidents (this was put in place after a professor received disagreeable messages from a group of students).

It is the moderators' job to sniff out mischief-mongers and kick them. Is there any hubware other than YnHub that is better suited for us? Or for example, a plugin to sniff out dynamic IPs, maybe? :)

Managing so many people is quite a task. We could sure do with some assistance.

Just include dorm no. in nicks, say John-1024, Steeve-1024. Even nicks like Room-5268, Room-5798 etc. seem better for your case, if there are just single rooms. Then set strong passwords for all. May also like to set hub "registered only", since I assume there are no outside people connecting.

imo the school staff is "in the game", since this is the way for the professor to be abused. So maybe they do not experience shaping, still Satan's suggestions are possible solutions.

Luadch offers tags for users that are unregged so if a person logs into the hub without a reg the default nick will show a prefix that the person is unregged in the hub that might be a solution

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0