Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hamsterkill

[bug] [1.01] Segmented downloading while disabled

8 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm new to Apex. I disabled segmented downloading in the options (Queue -> Segment Downloading -> Enable multi-source: Disabled). However, when I add a search result with more than one user to my download queue, it (sometimes - about half the time in brief testing) downloads in segments. This significantly hurts download performance on a university network.

Edit: this is on Vista Business 64-bit

Weeell what you did was shut down downloading from multiple users for the same file. What you additionally need to do is to restrict the number of segments created for each file download (multisource and segmented downloading go hand in hand but they are separate functions). This is found in Settings/Queue - "Manual Settings of number of Segments" (min = 2). There is the option (not tested by me) to go down to 1 segment downloading, but then you have to manually specify that for each file (right click on file) in your download queue and select "Max number of segments" (=1).

Weeell what you did was shut down downloading from multiple users for the same file. What you additionally need to do is to restrict the number of segments created for each file download (multisource and segmented downloading go hand in hand but they are separate functions). This is found in Settings/Queue - "Manual Settings of number of Segments" (min = 2). There is the option (not tested by me) to go down to 1 segment downloading, but then you have to manually specify that for each file (right click on file) in your download queue and select "Max number of segments" (=1).

If true, then I suggest that system be improved to at least allow a user to set number of segments to 1 in the options menu. I can't think of a reason to be able to turn off multi-sourcing but still have the file download segmented, though, if it's by design.

BM said he improved the performance and handling in LAN environment...

I'm experiencing this problem too, I have set it disable segmented downloading, and turned the number of segments down to one, yet it is still spamming my generous uploaders every meg for a segment.

Here's a screencap:

16206639ox0.th.jpg

Is there something I'm missing? Because if this is the intended effect, then what's the point of even including the option to turn off multiscource downloading if it's still downloading in segments!

You with latest public version? Have you tried Lower values than 508KB? This may affect your download speed tho.

You with latest public version? Have you tried Lower values than 508KB? This may affect your download speed tho.

Yes, version 1.0.1

Entering in 2 for that yields the same results.

94443634nc8.th.jpg

Apparently, it works when there is only one source, (there at the top), but the program could be lying and downloading in segments there too without showing it. If you don't get what I mean, the other downloads have multiple sources, so there is a drop down showing all the users and the segments your downloading (blue bar), but in the top of the dropdown, it's showing the overall file speed and percentage (green bar). So in the case there is only one source, it could just be hiding the dropdown part (blue bars), showing you only the green bar, still downloading in segments.

I don't see any bug in your screenshot. You have disabled multisource downloading and it seems working correctly.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0