Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimmBurrWolfe

Configuring ApexDC++ 0.3.0

7 posts in this topic

Help!!

It is probably me beeing dumb, but Apex seems to be rnning very slow on my machine.

I have a direct connection via ADSL modem, Norton Firewall at 1.1Mb down link and 256Kb up link.

When I have ApexDC++ running (Ver 0.3.0) my upload speed is around 32Kb/s overall with 3 slots open, but my download speed is never greater than 32Kb/s. Individual downloads never get over 2 or 3 kb/s each. Also no download ever has more than 1 or 2 segments.

Another thing is that while ApexDC++ is running the rest of my PC almost grinds to a halt!!

I suspect that I have messed up some of the settings and have only myself to blame, so if any one can help me please I would appreciate it

Cheers

Tim

I suppose you are "chocking" your connection, i. e. you need to limit the upload to somewhere below 32K to allow the service packets to pass.

See the screen shot for details. If it is something else, let us know, we will be glad to assist further.

post-65-1166481454_thumb.jpg

When I have ApexDC++ running (Ver 0.3.0) my upload speed is around 32Kb/s overall with 3 slots open, but my download speed is never greater than 32Kb/s. Individual downloads never get over 2 or 3 kb/s each. Also no download ever has more than 1 or 2 segments.
1.1 megabits = 140.8 kilobytes this suggests that your download speed is running slow. but this could be caused for many different reasons. first of all please check you broadband connection is running well this should do. if evrything is running fine then it could be because you dont have enough people to download of. how many sources do you have and how many are conected at one time? please give the speed for each user so we can say if it is normal behavious or not. Do you have send garbage on incoming connections selected (in advance settings). your isp may be throteling you.

also when you say

Another thing is that while ApexDC++ is running the rest of my PC almost grinds to a halt!!
are you talking about cpu or network connections. with your connection i would say that network connections should be fine. if you are taling cpu or RAM, can you give more info. e.g. what % is being used by apex, how much ram, do any other process look like they are running higher then expected (possibly firewal)

ok i think that ill do for now :)

edit: Zlobomir are you gonna beat me too it every time ;). however i dont think it sounds he is choking connection well not from downloading (TimmBurrWolfe how many upload/download slots do you have set). sounds like the oposite. i.e. they do not get the speed they should. unless i have miss read

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I have a feeling this might take some time to resolve given my knowledge and experience in matters pertaining to the internet!! :)

But here goes...

1.1 megabits = 140.8 kilobytes this suggests that your download speed is running slow. but this could be caused for many different reasons. first of all please check you broadband connection is running well this should do.

I have run a speed test and it says that my results are:

Download: 292 kbps which is 54% lower than the average for my ISP

Upload: 239 kbps which is 12% lower than the average for my ISP

This would suggest there is a problem with my download connection?

I also ran a tweak test, but this said that everything was more or less ok the URL for the results is 'here'

I ran both test several times with pretty similar results. I had nothing else running on my machine at the time.

Do you have send garbage on incoming connections selected (in advance settings). your isp may be throteling you.

Yes I have selected 'send garbage' in advanced settings.

also when you say, are you talking about cpu or network connections. with your connection i would say that network connections should be fine. if you are taling cpu or RAM, can you give more info. e.g. what % is being used by apex, how much ram, do any other process look like they are running higher then expected (possibly firewal)

Not quite sure what you mean here with CPU or Network connections! Or what my percentages are!

My CPU is a modest 2.6GHz and I have 512Mb Ram running WinXP Serv Pk 2, I am also behind a Norton Firewall (Internet Security 2006). If I have Apex running minimised in the background, everything else Word, Excel, Email runs like a dog (very slowly).

edit: Zlobomir are you gonna beat me too it every time ;). however i dont think it sounds he is choking connection well not from downloading (TimmBurrWolfe how many upload/download slots do you have set). sounds like the oposite. i.e. they do not get the speed they should. unless i have miss read

I have Apex set up with 10 download and 4 upload slots usually connected to quite a few smaller hubs (20-30), I have not got the limiter set, so am not choking other users.

Sorry to sound so dumb and appologies also for the mega long post.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Umm, seems that I have misread, however it is a cute screenshot... Have you tried it? :)

Download 292 kbps / 8 = 36.5K, so it is acceptable, since the speed depends not only on you but also on the other peer, i. e. the lower applies. If you have only one source, it can happen.

Upload 239 kbps / 8 =~ 30K, and since you said your ISP limit is 32K, you have only some miserable 2K left for browsing or e-mail or anything, apart the service packets which also need some free bandwidth.

Regarding the CPU/RAM/PC performance & Apex - it depends on hardware, number of hubs and downloads/uploads, speed. Just open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and see which application eats up most CPU/RAM. The Idle Process is fine, the bigger-the better. I also would like to suggest leaving this Norton Suit, and replacing it with some lighter (and free) alternatives like AVG Antispyware, Spybot, Peerguardian. F. ex. when the recent "exmodul*" worm hit, I had to manually recover my PC (note, the tiniest issue was that my Turn Off Button gone) and I read in the forum ~ "My *.* antivirus program was completely damaged". I also kindly invite you to TechGeeks Online for more info on such things and for any PC support you may need. It is mainly providing support for Apex DC++ and there are always people capable and willing to help.

P. S. What's wrong with dchub:// handling?

Cheers,

Zlobomir

Download: 292 kbps which is 54% lower than the average for my ISP

Upload: 239 kbps which is 12% lower than the average for my ISP

As Zlobomir said this is probably your problem. you should perhaps ask them about it.

P. S. What's wrong with dchub:// handling?

did you use

[dcurl=dchub://techgeeks.geekgalaxy.com:1411]TechGeeks Online[/dcurl]

e.g. TechGeeks Online

Yes, but before asking the ISP check the download speed via other applications, so we will know whether it is Apex or the ISP.

...did you use
[dcurl=dchub://techgeeks.geekgalaxy.com:1411]TechGeeks Online[/dcurl]

e.g. TechGeeks Online

Will do. Stupid me. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0