Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gnipi

Wireless lan's and use of TCP/IP on them

2 posts in this topic

What about wireless lan ?

I need something more flexible for use in wireless lan's.

TCP/IP works, but since you have packet loss on most links, it's is reliable but when wireless link gets too saturated, tcp connections usually break cause of too much loss. This way, at least 50% of my "users" (friends on wlan) start off nicely downloading and then, when somebody with better equipment/ closer to access point connects, their connection drops to 0 and disconnects. It's just how it is. Better signal rules.

There is absolutely no way to make all clients "equally good" or "equally bad" ... so, it's just not the right solution. In wireless lans, you don't have same upload/download speed for all users. Some have better antenas/802.11 clients then others.

Centralised upload/download limiting is what is imho best solution.

I am working on a solution to be able to direct upload/download speed limit to clients.

Clients would not have any control of limiting. Server would send UDP packets broadcast or unicast (still thinking pros/cons) as some kind of "beacons".

Client that has great connection (no packet loss) will get 100% of udp packets and will have 100% of decided maximum upload/download limit... clients that have packet loss on their links (bad antenna, too far from access point ... background noise ... whatever) will lose some UDP packets and in effect, percentage of UDP packets received will decide maximum upload/download ... automatically reducing saturated links to "acceptable" range. It's still a theory... UDP packets would be rather small, some 16 bytes max... so ... maybe packet loss will not be visible on such small packets... in other hand, sending 1024 od 1500 byte packets will make sure packet loss is noticeable if link is saturated/bad... anybody sees future in this feature ? I already have working code but I don't like it so there will be a full rewrite as soon as I decide on some changes....

bah, anyway, I'm not a "client modder" so no need to treat like outcast. I don't really have a preference to any SDC or SDC mod in particular. I just want to make it work for me and my friends so we can share over wireless ;)

I am 27 years old, with lots of expirience in x86 assembler and C++ but a bit rusty cause I never used it for commercial purposes. Actually, haven't been coding anything since year 2001...

Can't say I'm expert programmer cause lots of things changed since 2001 but I'm catching up.

Can somebody at least tell me if my idea is possible ? Do you think it will help in wireless networks ?

I'm surprised nobody answered until now. I'll do it then:

1. A much easier sollution would be for everyone to have the common sense of limiting manually for the sake of others

2. If they lack this common sense, then I doubt they will have the common sense of not using a modded version of ApexDC++ (or any other client) that does not respect the server UDP broadcast?

3. A wireless link's stability is not constant. It might be more stable when you receive the UDP packets, and therefore give you 100% bandwidth, although there's nothing you can do with it

4. What happens if all UDP packets are lost, but then the connection improves? Something like "whoops, I think I passed by your antenna while you were starting ApexDC++... Sorry..."

5. How does the client know how many packets it should receive? You can only count packet loss when sending... you cannot count how many packets you... didn't receive :ermm:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0