Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lee

Fix: Why can't I search?

4 posts in this topic

Why can't I search?

This guide is helpful for people who cannot search hubs due to their internet connection. A hub often requires a user to register before searching and downloading on their hub, and therefore you must take that into consideration. Assuming that you're registered or the hub doesnt require registration and you're still requring problems, then follow these guidelines:

1. Use the "Get IP address" button in connection settings.
  2. Check your firewall configuration. You need to make sure it's allowing or forwarding incoming connections on the port specified in the settings. You have to enable both TCP, UDP and TLS traffic. If you can download files but not search in active mode, this means that the ports are still blocked (use this guide to resolve this).
  3. If the above things don't work for you, you'll have to use passive mode (if the hub allows it).

Why can't I search?

Assuming that you can connect to a hub and chat with users, this is usually caused by a firewall, router or connection sharing. There are several things you can try:

1. Enter your external IP in the settings dialog and try again (use this site)
  2. Check your firewall configuration. You need to make sure it's allowing or forwarding incoming connections on the port specified in the settings. You have to enable both TCP and UDP traffic. If you can download files but not search in active mode, this means that UDP packets are still blocked. Read the FAQ on how to set up active mode.
  3. Your school/work might be blocking DC traffic. Read the FAQ on what you might be able to do about it.
  4. If the above things don't work for you, you'll have to use passive mode (if the hub allows it).
This guide is based on the DC++ faq.

another reason may be you are on a hub tha requires you to register, and until registered search and download are disabled, in the hub. registering doesn't collect any personal info , and is usually as ssimple as adding the hub to your fav hubs and adding a specific tag to your nick in fav hub properties, reconnect and get a password set by op or bot depending on software used by hub.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0