Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zacan

CPU Usage

3 posts in this topic

I recently had started using StrongDC++, but I was having problems, so I switched to Apex(Beta4)... only to find those problems again.

It uses 60-80% of my CPU at almost all times and the overall usage of the CPU is fluctuating from 20-30% to 70-80-90% all the time I'm using it:

cpugrafik1.jpg

I'm using Windows XP service pack 2 and I have AMD Duron 1800 as processor.

I observed that it does this only when I'm connected to big hubs (2000+ users).

apexsd5.jpg

As you can see in the screenshot , there are 6 uploads running (but I tested it with fewer too), there is no hashing (I checked), I was connected only to 4 big hubs, and the CPU usage was 84%. And if I exit those hubs the resource usage is much smaller, although I'm still uploading. So I'm pretty sure it has something to do with connecting to big hubs. Maybe I get many search inquiries from many users, and since I share many files (10,000+), it uses much CPU to get through them? Or maybe, by updating all the hub's information in real time, and since there are many users there, it uses a lot of CPU?

I don't really know, and I hope you advanced users and developers out there can help me with this one, or I think it's changing back to the good ol' simple DC++ for me...

Reported this back with previous betas.

It seems to be related to the number of uploads, downloads and hub users. When I stay on hubs with many users and there are many uploads, CPU usage can go up to 100%. For downloads, yes, the same thing can happen, but only if I download 30-40 files at the same time or more, which shouldn't happen ver often.

PS: Adrian, get rid of Firefox and ZoneAlarm...

Users are encouraged to try out this beta 4, but please revert back to 0.4.0 if you encounter any problems.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0