gadasch

[Bug] Possible Auto Refresh problem v0.3.0

26 posts in this topic

Seems to me that auto refresh has become less predictable in v0.3.0. Mine is set to 180 minutes, but changes I made in my share last night were not reflected in the list this morning. The files.xml.bz2 file's timestamp was over 18 hours old, though the HashData.dat and HashIndex.xml files had been updated. I had to do a manual refresh, after which the contents of the list were correct.

In any case, hashing and list generation seem to be happening on different schedules. Maybe this has always been this way. I noticed in 0.2.2 that it seemed to take two update cycles for new files to appear in the list. I assumed this was because the hashing process was somewhat independent list updating.

But now the list generation process also seems to have become unpredictable, not always happening with the frequency specified in the auto refresh time setting.

Did something change here? Is there a new bug?

..gadasch

MORE INFORMATION:

Okay, I just caught it in the act. Several hours ago, I replaced one of the subfolders in my share with another folder (the replacement folder had a different name and mostly different contents).

When time came for the auto refresh to occur, I could see the client scanning through all the folders... so the auto refresh DID kick off on schedule.

HOWEVER... the files.xml.bz2 file in the Settings folder did not change. The HashData.dat and HashIndex.xml files were both updated, but the bz2 file was not. When I open my list, the old folder (which no longer exists in my share) is still present in the list. The new folder is not shown.

So the autorefresh kicked off on schedule, but the list was not updated.

Never saw this problem prior to v0.3.0.

Thanks,

..gadasch

files.xml.bz2 is updated when somebody downloads your file-list or you open it themself so I don't think it is bug (I find that after some experiments).

Hi there.

This is the first time i use this forum and sorry if i am writing my problem in a wrong topic.

I also want to apologise for my bad English.

I use apexdc and utorrent at the same time.

i download some torrents directly to the folder i have shared for apexdc.

last days i noticed that when apexdc hashing automaticaly, stops some torrents i am downloading at that time.

utorrent appears a message that an other application tries to use the file...........

can i do something for that ?

is there a way to stop auto hashing in apexdc v0,3 ?

thanks in advance !!!

Hi there.

This is the first time i use this forum and sorry if i am writing my problem in a wrong topic.

I also want to apologise for my bad English.

I use apexdc and utorrent at the same time.

i download some torrents directly to the folder i have shared for apexdc.

last days i noticed that when apexdc hashing automaticaly, stops some torrents i am downloading at that time.

utorrent appears a message that an other application tries to use the file...........

can i do something for that ?

is there a way to stop auto hashing in apexdc v0,3 ?

thanks in advance !!!

Yes you can, don't share your (in)complete torrents :) (in case of completed torrents, seed first then share in ApexDC)

files.xml.bz2 is updated when somebody downloads your file-list or you open it themself

Yes, I noticed that. But it isn't always happening.

Another auto update time has just passed. I opened my list again and the contents still haven't changed. Timestamp on the file didn't change when I opened it. The old folder which no longer exists in my share is still shown; the new one isn't.

In the past several hours my list has been requested and sent out several times... all, I presume, with obsolete contents.

..gadasch

STILL MORE INFORMATION

Another refresh cycle just occurred. This time the list got updated. I have made numerous additional changes to my share in the past several hours, so I presume that caused the update to succeed this time.

It isn't obvious why the list didn't get updated on the previous two refresh cycles. The original change to the share was non-trivial (the complete replacement of one subfolder with another having a different name and mostly different contents). That should have been enough to cause the list to be updated during the next refresh. The fact that it didn't suggests that there are circumstances in which the client is not properly recognizing share alterations that require a new list to be built.

..gadasch

Yes you can, don't share your (in)complete torrents :) (in case of completed torrents, seed first then share in ApexDC)

thanks a lot man.

i would like to download directly to the folder i want to share for 2 reasons :

1) i haven't enoughh space to have the same file in 2 folders (one for seeding the torrent and one for sharing to apexdc)

2) i would like to avoid copy/paste for all these files i am downloading

it would be perfect to stop auto hashing and to make apexdc hash only when i want to.

this way i would solve my problem and i wouldn't share incomplete files either.

thanks

thanks a lot man.

i would like to download directly to the folder i want to share for 2 reasons :

1) i haven't enoughh space to have the same file in 2 folders (one for seeding the torrent and one for sharing to apexdc)

2) i would like to avoid copy/paste for all these files i am downloading

it would be perfect to stop auto hashing and to make apexdc hash only when i want to.

this way i would solve my problem and i wouldn't share incomplete files either.

thanks

I believe he meant for your to seed 1st (in a seperate folder) then when your done seeding move it to your Apex Shared folder :) Though More control over Auto Refresh would be nice sometimes.

AFAIK when you seed you can still use the file (f. ex. you can play a file you are seeding). And hashing is again some action with the file... Have you checked the option in uTorrent "Add *.ut for incomplete files"? And about this *.ut files, Place them in sone Temp folder, so they do not fall in Apex share. Then, set uTorrent to move the *.ut files in the appropriate place (your DC++ share) upon completion of torrent download. I believe this scheme worked for me before...

Edited by Zlobomir

AFAIK when you seed you can still use the file (f. ex. you can play a file you are seeding). And hashing is again some action with the file... Have you checked the option in uTorrent "Add *.ut for incomplete files"? And about this *.ut files, Place them in sone Temp folder, so they do not fall in Apex share. Then, set uTorrent to move the *.ut files in the appropriate place (your DC++ share) upon completion of torrent download. I believe this scheme worked for me before...

thanks for the reply. :)

i tried with or without *.ut but when apexdc++ hashes any active torrent stops.

your idea about temp folder sounds good but i think it will not work for me.

that works if you want to download every time to the same folder and to the same temp folder.

i have set utorrent to ask me where to download (a dialog box appears everytime i download a new torrent) because i have many different shared folders. music, movies, tv serials, software etc

if there is a solution to set the same temp folder and to choose every time to the dialog box the folder for the complete files please let me know ^_^

OK, I'll try to explain better:

C:\TorrTemp

C:\TorrDCShare\

C:\TorrDCShare\Music\blabla

C:\TorrDCShare\Movies\blabla

1. All currently downloading torrents go to C:\TorrTemp\*.ut

2. When some *.ut completes, it will be moved by uTorrent in the appropriate folder C:\TorrDCShare\Music\blabla or C:\TorrDCShare\Movies\blabla.

3. These two folders are also shared in Apex.

4. In Apex, enable "Add finished files to share instantly (if shared)"

If not with uTorrent, it should be possible with BitComet, try whether it stops too.

Edited by Zlobomir

AFAIR, there was a client where you were able to "do not share files with following extensions". So, if this would be implemented, he may just exclude *.ut and after they would be finished and renamed, Apex will hash it on next automatic rehash.

OK, I'll try to explain better:

C:\TorrTemp

C:\TorrDCShare\

C:\TorrDCShare\Music\blabla

C:\TorrDCShare\Movies\blabla

1. All currently downloading torrents go to C:\TorrTemp\*.ut

2. When some *.ut completes, it will be moved by uTorrent in the appropriate folder C:\TorrDCShare\Music\blabla or C:\TorrDCShare\Movies\blabla.

3. These two folders are also shared in Apex.

4. In Apex, enable "Add finished files to share instantly (if shared)"

If not with uTorrent, it should be possible with BitComet, try whether it stops too.

Thanks for the reply.

The only problem is i don't want to change utorrent and as far as i know the solution you told me doesn't work with utorrent

AFAIR, there was a client where you were able to "do not share files with following extensions". So, if this would be implemented, he may just exclude *.ut and after they would be finished and renamed, Apex will hash it on next automatic rehash.

That's the best solution for this problem ;)

What is the client that you are talking about ?

An older version of apexdc or an other dc ?

We have it in Apex:

post-65-1164574488_thumb.jpg

yep ;). if you want more use semi-collon ';'. e.g *.ut;*.dctmp

Argh, I've searched share/downloads etc pages, but didn't found it. I think it should be moved into proper page rather than advanced settings...

Argh, I've searched share/downloads etc pages, but didn't found it. I think it should be moved into proper page rather than advanced settings...

Advanced is just as proper as any of the fore mentioned ;)

Another way is to "kill" the advanced pages. Will be clearer. ;)

Yes, it is " .!ut " (no quotes).

Edited by Zlobomir

Advanced is just as proper as any of the fore mentioned :)

I think that "Sharing" page will suit quite better.

...sorry if i am writing my problem in a wrong topic...

Yes, not intending this as a rebuke, but your reply to my post was off-topic and sort of resulted in the thread taking a wrong turn. Let me try to get back to the subject:

MORE INFORMATION (on the original problem):

I can confirm now that Auto Refresh is not always working properly (at least it is not always detecting additions to the share), even though it appears to run as scheduled.

My "Auto refresh time" is set to 180 minutes (3 hours). About 13 hours ago, I added a new folder to my share. Within 30 minutes, the Hashdata and Hashindex files had been updated.

The list file (files.xml.bz2), however, continued to show a timestamp of early yesterday morning (some 30 hours ago) and the new folder did not appear in the list when I opened it using File\Open Own List.

I understand now (from somebody's earlier post) that the files.xml.bz2 file is not actually updated until somebody requests it, either via upload or via File\Open Own List. However, 13 hours and 4 auto refresh cycles after I added the new folder, the list file continued to show the yesterday-early-morning timestamp, and it did not update despite several people uploading it and me opening and closing my "own list" repeatedly.

HOWEVER, just now I initiated a manual refresh using the menu command File\Refresh File List. After the manually-initiated process completed, I opened my list again. At this point, the timestamp DID change and the list that opened was a new one that included the new folder.

I'm pretty sure this is new behavior in v0.3.0. Something in the Auto refresh process is not always properly detecting the fact that changes in the content of the share require a new list to be generated.

Thanks,

..gadasch