Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boloood

Disable TTH hashing

22 posts in this topic

Please, could you add an option to disable share files hashing? I have over 200 GB to share and it would take days before the files get hashed. I currently use oDC client, but I want to update it since it seems not to be developed anymore. I checked few new DC++ clients modifications and I think Apex DC++ would be best solution for me, but if it had possibility to disable file hashing. Thanks.

You don't have hash them any way? Or then you could choose what you want to share now and add just them.

Dude, although you don know it - you need TTH.Make a search to see some topics about oDC //or any other non-TTH client// problem (which comes from the fact that oDC doesn't hash its files).

BTW how can 200 GBs take you 2 days to hash ? So, lets make some calculations about you HDD speed then : 2 days = 48*3600 s = 172800 s.So 200 Gbs are ~ 200 000 MBs.200 000 / 172 800 = ~ 1.16 MBs per second reading speed.LOL - you have some very 'fast' HDD.I'm sure that it'll take only few hours.Just be patient.

He might a have an older PC.

May be so, but 1.16MB/s is worse than 486 I guess. :) Except that, older MBs do not support larger HDDs, and in case he has some external USB, or many small HDDs - it's probably bad configuration or wrong PIO/UltraATA settings in BIOS, or 40-pin IDE cable...

We wont add an option to disable TTH, it's standard in DC now... live with it. You only have to hash once.

The only one losing from this is u (and the users who cant download from u).

Actually both sides lose... But since it is better for 99.9% of us to have TTH check on, sorry, it is your choice to discard Apex.

Nothing will force me to use that stupid hashing. If I don't find a client which doesn't require this ****, I will make my own. Simple.

Well, good look. If it is public, please inform us, we may find some nice ideas in it, who knows? ^_^

I dont think that apex will 'win' anything from boloood - if he doesnt have the patience to wait for the hash process to finish i dont think he'll 'waste' his time reporting bugs or maybe recommending apex to another users.(The whole dc community losses from the fact that he doesnt hash his files but even if you make such feature as requested dc com. will still lose)

I also think hashing is stupid.

I do. ^_^

When your downloads are corrupted u'll think otherwise.

So I won't use your clinet. Live with it ^_^

It's your choice. You will get a lot of fake files, corrupted files and you will not be able to download anything from 99% of users. Live with it ^_^

I also think hashing is stupid.

I do. ^_^

What's stupid with that? That you can't share fake files? Or that you can't upload corrupted files? Yes, it's really stupid :)

There are plenty of clients that doesn't have hashing : oDC++, DC++ (0.3XX), ect. ^_^

There is also lanDC++ for lan only users, who want's to skip hashing (alternative to Network Neighborhood), based on some ApexDC++ version.

No one should bother you for staying on Your own hubs that allows You to use them. I would consider switching to using FTP servers.

BUT

A ) Don't bother operators to allow You to use that non-tth crap on public hubs (they won't if they really have slight idea on what they're doing)

B ) Don't bother dc makers to keep compatiliblity with those clients. It's good for DC community not to have anything with non-tth clients sharing fakes, corrupted files and such...

OK?

Are you aware of the fact that fake files still get hashed ?

There are programs that generate files in a totaly unique way. I'm not talking about those that generate files based on consecutive random numbers. That's how SDC++ first checked it. By TTH. If it contained consecutive bytes, then i was definetly FAKE. But that's not how things go. People can always screw around with files.

My favorite is to create a random .uha archive, passw it, then rename it and archive it some more into .kgb ! Then rename it once more into .iso or .avi ! It's not such a hard thing to do.

That 'non-tth crap' is still allowed by many hubs. Why you ask ? Because of the numbers, man ! The numbers ! That's how hubs get popular. People see 5.000 users, they get like "Oh, the more, the merryer" "I'll sure find what the hell I'm looking for out of 5.000 people" ! And that's not fair at all !!! oDC is a LEECHER's tool.

And people seem to like corrupted files (yeah, right / i was using oDC for a year or so and not once did an AVI not play or found a corrupt MP3) as long as they're happy not having to wait for the hashing process to finish.

From all the hubs i've visited (that show user tags) about 50% users were using oDC !!!

Not quite. You may cheat ops and hub for min. share this way.

If You cheat fake file for some other TTH hash other users will get "tth incosistency" or "error during decompression" (if they got some brain they will report You). And if You create crap file with "good name" and generate correct TTH for it You will probably be alone sharing it. Well I certainly would consider using some preview application if possible before downloading complete file with very few seeders.

Your attitude - "wow, I know something about cheating" is nothing really to be proud of. This makes more people with sharing really good / unique stuff going into private (closed) hubs.

That 'non-tth crap' is still allowed by many hubs. (...)

So what that they allow? Makes me sorry for them (probably if they really grow big they make more strict rules).

And are those hubs with 5000 users and so many fakeres and lechers really worth staying? I don't think so.

HUBs, where people with non TTH filelists can stay are worthless, since those leechers will block slots.

HUBs without any kind of operator (or bots who DLs filelists) around in general are useless.

So boloood decision not to use apexdc++ is no loss, since he is a leecher, who will contribute nothing to any share community.

He can stay with those others leechers in their leecher HUBs, and fight for the scraps.

as an op/owner of an hub if I get repeated reports of TTH inconsitantly (cause it can happen once in a while by accident) I look into it immediately, and if the user is found to be leeching he gets banned immediately. I'm sure my hub is not alone in this stance. As leechers and people who cheat the system are a black mark on teh DC++ community and I would honestly not use a client which makes faking easy. I love ApexDC and would hate to see them head down that road (which I know that they won't).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0