Zai4ik

just a few ideas

21 posts in this topic

Hello, I've got several suggestions

- in ADL-search add the possibility of searching by TTH (like it was done in Zion for example)

- loading gif's (I'm dreaming about animated smiles... :) of course if it is possible :) )

- sharing per certain hub (in favorite hubs properties select folders, which wouldn't be shown in share on this hub)

- shutdown (hibernate/log off/etc) after all downloads are finished

- turn off main chat on certain hubs

- LUA scripting support

- also, I don't really remember the client, but there was one with a build in browser. That could be rather useful :)

Sorry if I repeated somebody, and sorry for my English :)

- also, I don't really remember the client, but there was one with a build in browser. That could be rather useful :)

I'll leave the others uncommented as many have already been discussed... but what comes to built in browser... i know at least two clients that have one, and i personally won't have anything against adding one to apexdc, but i know someone who does :) besides it'd only make the program something that it isn't, as web browser has nothing to do with DC or P2P altogether.

please dont add a web browser. for start you will almost certanly end up using MSIE engine and im not even going to start on that little gripe. Apex is not a web browser! next youll get requests to intergrate a medis player, pdf reader (actukky pdf reader may be good) and all sorts of other crap wich will just blote the client. for christ sake just open up firefox is that really too hard. its early and there the only two points i can think of but just dont do it it would be a sh!t feature.

Edited by balder

please dont add a web browser. for start you will almost certanly end up using MSIE engine and im not even going to start on that little gripe. Apex is not a web browser! next youll get requests to intergrate a medis player, pdf reader (actukky pdf reader may be good) and all sorts of other crap wich will just blote the client. for christ sake just open up firefox is that really too hard. its early and there the only two points i can think of but just dont do it it would be a sh!t feature.

Don't worry not going to happen :)

Hello, I've got several suggestions

- in ADL-search add the possibility of searching by TTH (like it was done in Zion for example)

- loading gif's (I'm dreaming about animated smiles... ^_^ of course if it is possible :) )

- sharing per certain hub (in favorite hubs properties select folders, which wouldn't be shown in share on this hub)

- shutdown (hibernate/log off/etc) after all downloads are finished

- turn off main chat on certain hubs

- LUA scripting support

Sorry if I repeated somebody, and sorry for my English ;)

No need for browser, others are nice.

Real opinion:

TTH search like ADL would be realy good, it could make baning people for forbiden material lots more easier. You could gather list of files that are surely banable for certain hubs and when cheking lists you could easily ban all that match, or even on autochek.

What is probality that two files get exactly same TTH-root?

Hello, I've got several suggestions [see above, the first post]

-TTH is created by CRC and filesize so the first request is out. Based on those, every file is unique even if it's renamed or contains different attributes (like Read-only or Archive)

-Animated smiles would be nice, but in some cases would spike the CPU, and Apex already does that (beng based on StrongDC++ and all...)

-Turning off the mainchat would be SO NICE ! Good thinkin' ! Did you know that when someone types somethnig in the mainchat YOU download a few bytes from that hub ? If you're present in over 10 hubs, those bytes turn into kilobytes ! And those kilobytes affect download speeds. Not by much, but still... Some people chat like crazy on some hubs ! For them, that's the primary point in using a DC client. Downloading comes second.

-As for the browser ideea, Firefox simply rulz ! It's much safer, bloking malicious scripts on webpages and ****... Plus the loads of add-ons and extensions that it supports. Like weather, custom search bars, pop-up blockers, IRC, etc.

Edit: wtf is LUA ?? :)

"We describe a collision-finding attack on 16 rounds of the Tiger hash function requiring the time for about 2^44 compression function invocations. Another attack generates pseudo-near collisions, but for 20 rounds of Tiger with work less than that of 2^48 compression function invocations. Since Tiger has only 24 rounds, these attacks may raise some questions about the security of Tiger. In developing these attacks, we adapt the ideas of message modification attacks and neutral bits, developed in the analysis of MD4 family hashes, to a completely different hash function design."

ref: Stefan Lucks: Papers for Download

as far i as know dc++ uses 24 round tiger hash

Edited by balder

-TTH is created by CRC and filesize so the first request is out. Based on those, every file is unique even if it's renamed or contains different attributes (like Read-only or Archive)

-Animated smiles would be nice, but in some cases would spike the CPU, and Apex already does that (beng based on StrongDC++ and all...)

-Turning off the mainchat would be SO NICE ! Good thinkin' ! Did you know that when someone types somethnig in the mainchat YOU download a few bytes from that hub ? If you're present in over 10 hubs, those bytes turn into kilobytes ! And those kilobytes affect download speeds. Not by much, but still... Some people chat like crazy on some hubs ! For them, that's the primary point in using a DC client. Downloading comes second.

-As for the browser ideea, Firefox simply rulz ! It's much safer, bloking malicious scripts on webpages and ****... Plus the loads of add-ons and extensions that it supports. Like weather, custom search bars, pop-up blockers, IRC, etc.

Edit: wtf is LUA ?? :P

LUA is a scripting/programming language. As for the browser thing... don't leave out Opera. :P Anyway, if Apex uses MSIE engine at any time I;ll be pretty ashamed to use it.

LUA is a scripting/programming language. As for the browser thing... don't leave out Opera. :P Anyway, if Apex uses MSIE engine at any time I;ll be pretty ashamed to use it.

the ActiveX control IE provides is much easier to integrate than a Firefox one; by the way, the only 1 i know of from them is still in early stage.

and, have a look at www.firefoxmyths.com :P

there are some mods based on DC++ that integrate an IE browser, i know SababaDC and McDC++, but these shouldn't at all be used as a reference since their implementation is very crappy (i don't find the correct word, but they must have done it in a real hurry)...

have a look at http://www.wischik.com/lu/Programmer/Webform for something much better discribed.

i don't think such good references exist for Firefox.

you can always go sign http://www.petitiononline.com/FfoxActX/petition.html though ;)

ActiveX control IE

ewww activeX *shivers* no I'll be fair I'm not a fan of it or IE myself and would rather not see it in Apex (not that it's really my decision. And as to the activeX thing remember that msn virus link that was sent around a year ago? (granted teh people who clicked on it were sorta stupid to anyway) anyone who was using firefox and clicked it weren't effected because the activeX controls didn't auto DL it like normal IE allowed.

People can just not be lazy and open up their proper browser (ie FireFox :P )

As for lua scripting... gah a scripting language support would be nice but perl or even ugg java would be better I would think. But that's personal issues with Lua Aside scripting could be nice but I fail to see how it's useful outside of the actual hub server?

ewww activeX *shivers* no I'll be fair I'm not a fan of it or IE myself and would rather not see it in Apex (not that it's really my decision. And as to the activeX thing remember that msn virus link that was sent around a year ago? (granted teh people who clicked on it were sorta stupid to anyway) anyone who was using firefox and clicked it weren't effected because the activeX controls didn't auto DL it like normal IE allowed.

i think you are confused, it's not really the same thing here... it's a component provided to allow easy integration of a web browser into an application. nothing to do with your viruses...

People can just not be lazy and open up their proper browser (ie FireFox :ermm: )

it's not about being lazy, but for convenience: when i chat, and someone writes a link, i can click it, open up the web page in the same program. then, with the help of the "tab bolding on content change", i can browse the web page and come back to the chat when anything has been written. much more convenient than opening a whole browser.

Browser useless, and if IE I have to block whole client cause I block IE now.

So there is litle change to two files have same TTH, bad could be so good option, maybe some other way to chek that it is same file?

The only way to check are 2 files 100% identical is to check them bit by bit.The chance 2 files to have the same TTH is extremely low(but as i said - not 0) - so dont worry about tth.