bigcanuck

Question for all you fellow Op's out there

5 posts in this topic

So here's a question... Me and my fellow Op's run a private hub inside of a campus Network In canada, now recently we've been warning a user etc. for multiple things, and now he's faced with being banned, but now he's threaten us with going to NBC Universal or some such organisation and shutting us down. now personnally I'm in favour of banning him he's been warned/kicked/gagged all too many times etc. So basically I'm wondering from a few more experianced op's what you guys would do?

So here's a question... Me and my fellow Op's run a private hub inside of a campus Network In canada, now recently we've been warning a user etc. for multiple things, and now he's faced with being banned, but now he's threaten us with going to NBC Universal or some such organisation and shutting us down. now personnally I'm in favour of banning him he's been warned/kicked/gagged all too many times etc. So basically I'm wondering from a few more experianced op's what you guys would do?

As long as he doesn't know where it's hosted... change the hub address and notify current users.

As long as he doesn't know where it's hosted... change the hub address and notify current users.

He doesn't know what room on campus it's located... is that good enough? I have a pretty good idea on how DC++ net code works... but not the greatest, so ya..

He doesn't know what room on campus it's located... is that good enough?

Depends on how your network is built up. If by your hub's address he or your provider can trace you back I guess it would not be enough. So changing the address could be a good idea, so in case he really does it, they at least won't find anything under the address he gave away.

Anyway, my suggestion would be something like finding him first. :blushing: I'm sure he would make a whole bunch of campus inhabitants hate him... :)

When I once was in that situation I could was lucky enough solving it by talking to that guy making him clear how many people he would take down - even his own selfish self. In the end he "confessed" that he just wanted to panic us to get back into the hub but didn't really intend to make his threats true. And afterwards he even became sort of a sympathetic and friendly user.

Depends on how your network is built up. If by your hub's address he or your provider can trace you back I guess it would not be enough. So changing the address could be a good idea, so in case he really does it, they at least won't find anything under the address he gave away.

Anyway, my suggestion would be something like finding him first. :blushing: I'm sure he would make a whole bunch of campus inhabitants hate him... :)

When I once was in that situation I could was lucky enough solving it by talking to that guy making him clear how many people he would take down - even his own selfish self. In the end he "confessed" that he just wanted to panic us to get back into the hub but didn't really intend to make his threats true. And afterwards he even became sort of a sympathetic and friendly user.

See we do know him, two of us have already talked to him in person, and a 3rd will try because he figures the user will actually listen to him. But yes the campus pop definately would not be impressed because we use our hub for more then just downloading now, it's a place where people get help with assignments and what not. We even have events that bring the community together and such and it just helps with overall campus community. But ya.. it's an annoying situation,