Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ð.Sp!dér

Remove or Improve Tab Bolding

15 posts in this topic

When the content of a window changes (eg. someone wrote something in the mainchat) the tab to that window just above the task bar bolds. I just want tabs the same sizes.

Not having more then 3 rows would be nice. Clicking unbolds them and makes them smaller. And when the contents change they become wider.

If you want to remove the bolding effect : "Settings" / "appearance" / "tab bolding on content change" and deselect what ever you want.

And if you dont want more than 3 rows : "Settings" / "Advanced" / "experts only" / "max tab rows" .

by the way, i hardly see how the size could remain the same if the content of the tab has been "bolded" (is this a verb?...); a font in bold is always wider than the same font not in bold :/

by the way, i hardly see how the size could remain the same if the content of the tab has been "bolded" (is this a verb?...); a font in bold is always wider than the same font not in bold :/

...but the tab can be optionally pre-set wider to accommodate it. Even if this don't solve the multi row problem, it will prevent tabs from moving, f. ex. from end of row 1 to beginning of row 2.

Edited by Zlobomir

I'd prefer not to bold main chat tabs if there are not any new messages. I mean, not to count Joins and Parts messages. I'm using them on, but tab "bolding" on someone exits sometimes confuses a bit.

I'd prefer not to bold main chat tabs if there are not any new messages. I mean, not to count Joins and Parts messages. I'm using them on, but tab "bolding" on someone exits sometimes confuses a bit.

Then make it Italic for Join/Part and Underlined for real content change. And even Strikethrough for hub offline. This is only an example.

Then make it Italic for Join/Part and Underlined for real content change. And even Strikethrough for hub offline. This is only an example.

Great ideea. But offline hubs are already marked in red. So there's no point. Could become an option though...

"Bolding" tabs could keep their width by either changeing their font or by shortening their name.

If, say, "Hub of the Great Emperor of Sausage Cans" (or similar) turns into the short form "Hub of the Great Emp..." to keep the width and the tabs not moving at all ! Firefox 2 uses this tehnique :) and it works very well.

Moving tabs can get confusing sometimes...

Great ideea. But offline hubs are already marked in red. So there's no point. Could become an option though...

"Bolding" tabs could keep their width by either changeing their font or by shortening their name.

If, say, "Hub of the Great Emperor of Sausage Cans" (or similar) turns into the short form "Hub of the Great Emp..." to keep the width and the tabs not moving at all ! Firefox 2 uses this tehnique :D and it works very well.

Moving tabs can get confusing sometimes...

Well you could use the strike through for say users that go offline aswell

because I don't know how often I go to reply to someones question that they've pmmed me only to find they've gone offline :D

And auto put strike through on PM when user goes offline and return to normal font when user returns.

Wow! There is really interest ideas about bolding text on tabs. :D

I'm also like fulDC settings for tabs.

p.s. 2Seeker: 10x. There I'm was wrong, 'casue don't use search. :D

This appears to still be an issue with current Apex.

When a tab becomes Bold, it's width changes causing tabs to the right of it to shift, potentially to another row, in unexpected locations.

This can be solved by picking a monospaced font, such as Courier New. But this causes ASCII Art or tables in chat to break apart, because they are set specifically for MS Sans Serif, a variable width font. That a weird tradition followed by all hubs.

Tabs should be made all the same width.

Tabs should be made all the same width.

This isn't an issue in 2.0 :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0