Lain_13

Hot keys manager

13 posts in this topic

Hmm... Apex is really good DC client...

...also Apex have big range of internal and external commands...

...some commands can be executed by pressing hot key...

...something not...

...something we need type in chat manually...

...but we can't type command in chat by pressing some hotkey and we can't use alternative hotkeys for already existing commands...

...also we can't control DC outside they window...

What about creating hotkey manager? Something like in foobar2000. But add ability to create manual commands... for example for chat commands... I'm wrote about using Ctrl+F to add text "/f" command in chat... What about special syntax? Like "/f %s" - replace chat string "%s" with "/f" + "%s" if user press hotkey...

And so on... :)

Hmm... Apex is really good DC client...

...also Apex have big range of internal and external commands...

...some commands can be executed by pressing hot key...

...something not...

...something we need type in chat manually...

...but we can't type command in chat by pressing some hotkey and we can't use alternative hotkeys for already existing commands...

...also we can't control DC outside they window...

What about creating hotkey manager? Something like in foobar2000. But add ability to create manual commands... for example for chat commands... I'm wrote about using Ctrl+F to add text "/f" command in chat... What about special syntax? Like "/f %s" - replace chat string "%s" with "/f" + "%s" if user press hotkey...

And so on... :D

there could be one easy thing of this kind: bind texts to Ctrl + 0, 1, ..., 9 (from the keypad) so that when you press one of these combinations, it either adds the binded text to the message edit box or sends it. this way, people could bind /f, or some ascii pictures, etc...

there could be one easy thing of this kind: bind texts to Ctrl + 0, 1, ..., 9 (from the keypad) so that when you press one of these combinations, it either adds the binded text to the message edit box or sends it. this way, people could bind /f, or some ascii pictures, etc...

For various text - it's method.

For search... i think not.

For various functions - completely not.

For example: what if I want change any standard hotkey to some function? Or add new or alternative?

Or I want see ALL hotkeys binded in apex? Or I want control some apex functions outside apex (for example - switching bandwidth limit when burning disk or playing game... don't say about icon in tray... hotkey - faster and easier...)?

Also hotkey manager can resolve problem with hotkeys for other programs. For example. Some time ago I'm use winamp (that time I don't know about foobar2000) and one cool program for killing processes. This program use hotkeys Alt+1, Alt+2 and Alt+3. This hotkeys can't be changed. Also in winamp combination Alt+3 for editing ID3tag can't be changed too. When I'm press Alt+3 popping up menu with processes. In any program... but program this combination don't see and for editing ID3tags I'm use popup menu... It's really annoy me... With foobar2000 (and they hotkey manager) I don't have this problem. For editing tags I can use ABSOLUTELY ANY COMBINATION OF KEYS! For example I can bind Alt+T and Ctrl+Shift+Z at one time... Or bind keys to control foobar2000 from any location.

I also think it wouldn't be bad to control certain functions via hotkeys or even global hotkeys, especially things like bandwidth limiter, maybe open or minimize ApexDC, refresh filelist, reconnect to hub, whatever. And I also think if so, hotkeys should be more or less freely definable - as long as 'winamp spam' remains to be considered spam and will not be assignable to a hotkey. :D

I would love this, I rely on hotkeys with foobar, which you mentioned. I really think it wouldbe beneficial. Just not to sure how it would be to implement.

Where you see problem? Only hard coding... :D

1. Make list of all available for binding commands.

2. Assign for every command unique internal name (thy already exist, names of some procedures). Combinations of commandname-procedurename can be stored in special file (like Totalcmd.inc in Total Commander).

3. Make central hotkey processor, what hook hotkeys and run assigned procedures from list using central command processor.

4. In GUI on settings window make page "hotkeys" like in foobar. Here we can bind hotkeys to commands from list.

5. Make central command processor, what run procedures by name or unique ID (case style or something else).

Did anybody have more easy or original ideas?

Sounds good, all you have to remember, though, is that we have limited resources. We have one main coder who works very hard, but he doesn't have enough time to code everything.... and there's still plenty of other features lined up to be coded.

This can be achieved via external macro-recorder like AutoHotKey. (Almost) everything you can do via your keyboard and/or mouse can be done with this little app (which comes with a nice macro-recorder).

Though, this is only a workaround and there may be some situations this cannot be used (where the AHK would have to use some app-specific info, like the position of a nick in "Remove source" context menu), so sw should implement keyboard handling on its own.

This can be achieved via external macro-recorder like AutoHotKey. (Almost) everything you can do via your keyboard and/or mouse can be done with this little app (which comes with a nice macro-recorder).

Though, this is only a workaround and there may be some situations this cannot be used (where the AHK would have to use some app-specific info, like the position of a nick in "Remove source" context menu), so sw should implement keyboard handling on its own.

It is very possible to use AHK, but it really isn't the best sollution. Changes in the future may require changes to the script etc., if it can be built into the client then I think it should, or I did last year at least. :(

It is very possible to use AHK, but it really isn't the best sollution. Changes in the future may require changes to the script etc., if it can be built into the client then I think it should, or I did last year at least. :P

I did not really get it - what did you do last year?

I did not really get it - what did you do last year?

I posted in this thread. The thread was made last year. :P