ifmn

Close button

28 posts in this topic

can u add some feature the close button to minimize apex instead of closing it (all bittorrent clients have such feature)

Sometimes when i have used bitcomet / azureus all day i close apex without wanting to (i have disabled the 'confirm on exit')

i would not like this feature so if added it should be a option (please). ifmn i use to close apex by accedent all the time but now i leave 'confirm on exit' on and thats enough to remind me that i want to minimize instaead of close. I think that the way apex dose this is the corect behavour, minimize on close really anoys me that is not what i told the programm to do. kopete dose it and i have no system tray running so to close it probaly i have to kill -9 it. it sucks. anyway thats my little rant over :D

I think that the way apex dose this is the corect behavour

I believe so as well, and unfortunetly i see no reason to add this request as close button is for closing, and minimize button for minimizing (regardless if it minimizes to systray or taskbar)

Well just for comfort ( we can DL files now with apex - why do we need to improve it ??? Isnt the purpose of forums to discuss new features, problems, etc ? ).Apex is running all the time on my PC during the last several days.And im used to open apex , DL something and close it or use close for minimize ( i do that in bitcomet all the time ). Pressing the close button is far more easy than the minimize button (Yes i know - im very lazy) - just move the mouse right and up and press the left button without even watching, u dont have to position the mouse cursor over one place. And the more extras apex has - the better.Afcourse there are more important things to do now,but if one day u become bored - u will have smthing to do :) .U may lock the topic now.

Well just for comfort ( we can DL files now with apex - why do we need to improve it ??? Isnt the purpose of forums to discuss new features, problems, etc

Strange arguement, because there's always something you can improve for downloading software. The purpose of the forums isn't to add illogical features to confuse the user. As Crise said, Close = close.

It was a joke.And i dont know whats so confusing - "minimize on close" (if its a option afcourse)

And this way ppl can use minimize to minimize to taskbar ( i thing it was colled so ) and close to minimize to tray.

Hmm, IMHO it is not such a bad thing to have... It can be optional, it (probably) does not require more than 5 lines of code... But as the majority wish.

I'd use it.... I think the easier option though is to just have confirm on exit enabled. Zlobomir, it's not able the code, it's more just the fact it's another random option to have buried in the settings. I think Crise (quite reasonably) that the Settings should not be cluttered up with options such as these which he sees as pointless, it will only complicate the settings.

I'm vote for this option! :)

I'm really like it. Please add it's as option (disabled by default?).

p.s. Many programs have this option (download and instant managers, with-icon-in-tray programs) (qip, Download Master, ICQ, e.t.c)... In some programs this option integrated in code (Proxomitron, NOD32, Kaspersky Internet Security and other). It's not st**id or strange behavior. It's already standard for many programs, what can be minimized to tray...

p.p.s. Microsoft Outlook doesn't have this ability... yeah! It's Microsoft... But one 3rd party plugin add this ability to this useless program... Situation with Mozilla Thunderbird - identical... 3rd party plugins resolve this problem...

We may just change the places of Close and Minimize.

Close is to close

minimize is to minimize, but could be option in settings to minimize to tray.

We may just change the places of Close and Minimize.

:)

THIS is STRANGE behavior... isn't it?

Also you need understand how to change places of this buttons (it' no so easy) and create option for those, who like see buttons on right positions...

Many applications already have this option... why not?

For example I'm really often minimize and maximize Apex... but close it... maybe one or two times per week... but when I'm press close button they CLOSING... I'm hate "Close? Yes/No" window... Really hate... Because when I'm manually closing Apex... I want INSTANT close... I don't want st**id questions... :D

I'm hate "Close? Yes/No" window... Really hate... Because when I'm manually closing Apex... I want INSTANT close... I don't want st**id questions...

This can be configured in settings - Windows - confirm application exit

i might be dumb, but i don't understand the request... i mean, on Windows systems, you already have a button to minimize the window, so why do you want another one to do what the former already does? :D

"On windows systems there are many dc clients.Y do we need to make another one."

About the button:

Because its more convenient for me ==> it might be more convenient 4 other apexdc users.As Zlobomir said i guess it wont take too much time and coding.And dont want something big like apex supporting torrents - its just a small RQ.And please read my posts more carefully.

p.s. Many programs have this option (download and instant managers, with-icon-in-tray programs) (qip, Download Master, ICQ, e.t.c)...

Yeah, right, I hate MSN and Windows Messenger everytime I need to use it for not closing when I told it to, but remaining active in the tray... :D

But I do see the reason for such an option - as long as it remains an option. For some users it might indeed be useful. I also like the idea of using minimize [_] for actually minimizing it to the taskbar and close [x] for minimizing or rather sending it to the tray.

Well, my 20 cents...

But I do see the reason for such an option - as long as it remains an option. For some users it might indeed be useful. I also like the idea of using minimize [_] for actually minimizing it to the taskbar and close [x] for minimizing or rather sending it to the tray.

You understand right. I'm and ifmn talking about this option.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but while looking for this feature among the THOUSANDS of features that are all scattered and unorganized in the options menu, and not being able to find it, I googled for an answer on how to have ApexDC++ minimize when pressing the Close button.

I think ifmn touched upon the reason for this feature request: comfort. Like all other download clients I've come across, they all have this feature available, and most of them have it set up by default. For example, emule, limewire, and azureus.

Implementing a feature that may seem 'worthless, redundant, and confusing for novices' is actually not the correct way to approach the situation. Seeing as all other clients have this feature enabled by default, you're only accepting the trend on which download clients are headed -- running in the background, even after presumably being closed. Nonetheless, the feature doesn't have to be on by default and it's not like it will be easy for a novice to find among all endless list of other features :stuart:

So will you have another look at this idea?

I agree that close button should be for closing but DC++ is one of those programs that you almost never close and it would be really great to have this as option.

that should be an easy one =) ... ill set it as an option to use in the settings somewhere =)

And also, for more distracted users, this will raise shares in hubs, if one does not mind whether Apex is running in background.

As I've said before, I'd use it. The request has been rejected though, so it's not an issue. The point about having this on by default confusing users doesn't seem very relevant to me as you could either have a dialogue box the first time the close button is pressed to ask the user whether to close or minimize to tray (and a cancel button). That dialogue box could even replace the existing confirm close one, except you could have a tickbox to remember the the choice the user makes. Alternatively you could have one of those balloon things pop up to say it was minimized the tray and allow the user to click on it to change that setting or whatever.

Doesn't seem like that will happen though. :P

Greg as option I am perfectly fine with that, but when we reach the point there is too many options?

We come up with an imaginitive yet logical way to organise settings? :) Failing that you can do what one of my favorite applications has done and give the user the ability to search through the different settings. Take a look at this: Preferences Filtering