Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
datadyne

Lol, I got kicked today...

9 posts in this topic

So I never really get kicked from any hubs I share 200+ gigs of anime and music... anyways... I'm in a hub and the op who is a veteran op kicked me for using apex. What struck me as funny and slightly amusing was this...

4· Allowed clients are NMDC, DC++ (min .601), fulDC, DC GUI

and DC GUI-qt with tag. Limiting (client or 3rd party app)

is prohibited. (PWDC and StrgDC are allowed only in public with proper tags)

So... The client apex is based off and the client that apex is replacing are allowed but not the apex itself... I dunno why this struck me as a bit funny... and I'm sure I'll get like one post in this topic.... and it'll probably just be a sympathy post... but yeah...

I got a raise and a promotion today too... :stuart:

So... The client apex is based off and the client that apex is replacing are allowed but not the apex itself... I dunno why this struck me as a bit funny... and I'm sure I'll get like one post in this topic.... and it'll probably just be a sympathy post... but yeah...

Well it'd be interesting to know why it is this way tho... as technically apexdc is pwdc + some new stuff (stuff that would've also probably ended in pwdc, if we had continued under that name)

well, maybe NOT a sympathy post... I'm too busy laffing my a** off :(

However, someone should point out to that hub owner that what he is doing is the major reason NEW hubs are created with/by more forward looking people. Since you know where this forum is, you also know hubs where you and your client are most welcome. Happy Hubbing! :)

Loco

Happened to me in the same hub *recognised the rules* and a few ops in that hub/network actually use apex that I know of. I made the mistake of actually trying to discuss why the client wasn't bad. Which was kinda stupid of me, but heh.. I got a bit miffed when he told me the reasons why, as they seemed poorly informed, speculative, and just as tired as so many I've seen over modified clients for years.

What the network admin essentially said was that it was bad because of the segmented downloading, which he said slows the hub down.. He wouldn't be more specific on this, but maybe he meant the old argument involving CTM's being sent out. Which is pretty much groundless as any client can do that with a fair amount of items queued, and as Strong (and Apex in turn) limits to something like 10 at a time, or so. And really there are much bigger worries as far as hub bandwidth is considered. Although, maybe he meant that it would slow the collective download speed of the hub's users through misuse, but without specifics.. who knows.

The other feature was that it includes a limiter.. which is such a tired argument..I won't even start.

What surprises me is that he said this while strongDC++ is in the list of clients allowed, but at the same time, I've seen him tell people not to use it. . . . . Also they had in their topic that they were considering allowing multi-segment clients a couple days ago. heh.. Seems like a confused state, honestly. But I'll keep from saying entirely what I think >_>

Sounds like a mis-informed, unprofessional hub. Best stay away. :(

The segment downloading doesnt actually cause anymore bandwidth within the hub, it just takes a few more slots.

Sounds like a mis-informed, unprofessional hub. Best stay away. :(

The segment downloading doesnt actually cause anymore bandwidth within the hub, it just takes a few more slots.

... and also in theory causes files to spread faster (assuming that the former downloader will become uploder, instaed of deciding to remove the files from share after completed)

And just so you all know, ApexDC++ is just a new version of pwdc, and the segmented downloading in them etc. is not too different either, as a matter of fact ApexDC spams less than pwdc... and equal ammount of slots is taken when compared to pwdc and sdc...

so that hub owner is not being logical at all...

Lol, I saw you arguing... haha... Funny thing is he acussed me of emulating with apex when I switched clients.... then I pointed out that apex emulates DC++ .694 and not .674. Honestly though with all due respect to him, if I'm gonna be caught faking, it's not gonna be by someone of his calibur. As of yet, only one op there has caught me faking tags and that was crazy/alana, and that's because I challanged her to do it. Honestly though they have a good community there... Eh... it's their public hub so I don't see why they were being all nazi about it. If they want to put the min share up and stuff fine... but there was no need to ban MS clients there... funny how the user count went from 2K+ to like 900. I don't always like MS clients just because they make my up queue a pain in the ass to go through but in general I think they're the wave of the future. I just believe that in general there needs to be a way to better handle MS clients because it does take away from users trying to get slots for stuff with regular old DC. Of course it doesn't help to with all the jerks out there that choose to be complete leaches...

As far as limiting goes... I find it bs to ban clients with limiting right off the bat... For one, limiting clients can Almost always be detected when they're limiting... and second, limiting isn't always bad. Responsible users that want clients of a different flavor than the ugly standard of DC and fuldc and such shouldn't be limited. But I guess that's just because most of the clients I've seen with cool customizations and ground-breaking stuff choose to go with MS as afterall... it is the wave of the future.

Also, yes many of the ops there themselves use Apex, LS, XP, Akker, and even a beta tester here.

Finally, to be perfectly honest... I'm a share whore. I'm one of the last people you should get mad at for using an MS client. I almost never download anything off of DC unless it's extremly rare anime. I get almost everything off of BT now because it's just easier to get stuff from people faster... There's really no waiting. I go to DC to spread stuff like new releases to that community (I'm almost always the first to share certain new releases). I honestly appreciate it when someone slot begs for something really hard to find and tells me they intend to share it. I've shared over a tb and downed only 200 gigs. Most of that was music and a few rare items.

Hmm, that's very weird. Would have thought such a large/well-known network (recognise those OP names) would know a little better. I would just put it down to the fact Apex hasn't been out long compared to PWDC or SDC.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0