Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seminarist

[Bug][0.2.2] Starting error

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

My name is Razvan, i'm using a Pentium 2 whit a 200 MHz whit Win'98. Today I installel ApexDC++ for the first time becose a friend recomandated to me, but ai have a problem whit a fille named SHELL32.DLL.

I have downloaded that fill but i cudn't fis the error!

Does somebody can help me to fix the problem?

PLEASE TRY TO HELP ME!

Tanks!

P.S Please excuse me if my english grammer isn't so good!

Hi,

My name is Razvan, i'm using a Pentium 2 whit a 200 MHz whit Win'98. Today I installel ApexDC++ for the first time becose a friend recomandated to me, but ai have a problem whit a fille named SHELL32.DLL.

I have downloaded that fill but i cudn't fis the error!

Does somebody can help me to fix the problem?

PLEASE TRY TO HELP ME!

Tanks!

P.S Please excuse me if my english grammer isn't so good!

running apexdc under win98 might be bit tricky, but you can get it to run if you have correct updates and other needed files...

I would consider an upgrade if possible, clocked Intel Slot1 300A or some Pentium II over 300 MHz (on your existing MB) and 128 or more MB RAM should be enough for Win 2000.

Edited by Zlobomir

running apexdc under win98 might be bit tricky, but you can get it to run if you have correct updates and other needed files...

Can you be more specific please? Can you tell me exactly what i have to do?

Can you be more specific please? Can you tell me exactly what i have to do?

I believe you need the latest SP available on 98.

I believe you need the latest SP available on 98.

And appearently something needs to be changed in apexdc.exe as well... but that unfortunetly will have to wait for next version, sorry guys...

And appearently something needs to be changed in apexdc.exe as well... but that unfortunetly will have to wait for next version, sorry guys...

The "last" service pack for Win 98SE is a little bit of unoficial, so make sure you get it.

Here it is: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4131.html

The service pack does NOT fix anything. :)

And i bet installing this opens up a bunch of old system exploits too.

The service pack does NOT fix anything. :)

And i bet installing this opens up a bunch of old system exploits too.

I doubt that it opens more exploits. And it is 99% sure it is not enough. But to have at least 1% chance, I am 99% this must be installed.

I doubt that it opens more exploits. And it is 99% sure it is not enough. But to have at least 1% chance, I am 99% this must be installed.

Well i don't know for sure (can't remember) but when we tested running pwdc on win98se the tester that did the tests had that installed, i think... (ofcourse you can manually get the stuff you need for it to run as well...)

Installing the old service pack did not fix it for me.

As I stated here (dont know if you read it) -> http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?showtopic=693

The APEXDC.EXE file is linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:SHGetSpecialFolderPathW"

The problem could be explained at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....tfolderpath.asp

Remarks

This function is a superset of SHGetSpecialFolderPath, included with earlier versions of the Shell. On systems preceeding those including Shell32.dll version 5.0 (Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me) and Windows 2000), SHGetFolderPath was obtained through SHFolder.dll, distributed with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 and later versions. SHFolder.dll always calls the current platform's version of this function. If that fails, it will try to simulate the appropriate behavior. SHFolder.dll continues to be included for backward compatibility, though the function is now implemented in Shell32.dll.

Note On older systems that require the redistributable SHFolder.dll, you must explicitly link to SHFolder.lib before you link to Shell32.lib.

Installing the old service pack did not fix it for me.

As I stated here (dont know if you read it) -> http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?showtopic=693

The APEXDC.EXE file is linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:SHGetSpecialFolderPathW"

The problem could be explained at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....tfolderpath.asp

Remarks

This function is a superset of SHGetSpecialFolderPath, included with earlier versions of the Shell. On systems preceeding those including Shell32.dll version 5.0 (Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me) and Windows 2000), SHGetFolderPath was obtained through SHFolder.dll, distributed with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 and later versions. SHFolder.dll always calls the current platform's version of this function. If that fails, it will try to simulate the appropriate behavior. SHFolder.dll continues to be included for backward compatibility, though the function is now implemented in Shell32.dll.

Note On older systems that require the redistributable SHFolder.dll, you must explicitly link to SHFolder.lib before you link to Shell32.lib.

I read it and took a note of it, also said so in here:

(something referring to your post in the another topic)

Install VMWare, install Win98 on it and test, test, test :)

I'm willing to bet you could just buy a new pc better than that one for less than 100 bucks... hell I saw someone selling a p4 ht for $75.

I'm willing to bet you could just buy a new pc better than that one for less than 100 bucks... hell I saw someone selling a p4 ht for $75.

1. !He may not have 100 bucks free!

2. He could just install some Linux and a Linux client (actually why not, new Apex DC++ for Linux is near).

3. This is not a real solution.

But as M$ stopped Win 98 support a long time ago, there is no point. Even if today you manage to run Apex, tomorrow there will be smth else.

Edited by Zlobomir

But as M$ stopped Win 98 support a long time ago, there is no point. Even if today you manage to run Apex, tomorrow there will be smth els

Agread if MS dosn't support it then one cant expect a thrird party software application to support it let alone an OpenSource software application. Sorry

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0