Lost Angel

Graphics formats update

7 posts in this topic

Just an idea - why not have Apex use exclusively jpeg 2000 or the very least png for all, themes, graphics etc... Would save some space and, well, the fun of being on the edge -)

Not a feature request, since I think this is something more of a point for discussion.

P.S. could someone (moderator) fix the aphex to apex in the subj, please ;)

Edited by Crise

that's weird, how about jpeg 2000? it should have all the source code and binaries... All major software packages are starting to support it (like Adobe Acrobat for example, or AcdSee)...

I mean we still have some bmp even coming with the installation package themes...

I realize free space is not an urgent matter anymore... but...

I don't get the point about using JPEG200 instead of PNG. Can you explain this for me ?

smaller filesize.

newer format, meaning there might be more things it can do and there should be a better access to the required sources.

Basically same reason as to "why use png if there is tiff or even bmp"...

smaller filesize.

newer format, meaning there might be more things it can do and there should be a better access to the required sources.

Basically same reason as to "why use png if there is tiff or even bmp"...

I think that windows controls support only bitmaps and icons.

Default-drawn ones, you mean, Big Muscle... not owner-drawn.

Anyways, I strongly believe that due to the new and fancy Winodws Vista-like desktops that are starting to pop up, we won't have to worry about the old interface very long now.

Perhaps in two or three years, ApexDC++ will be the first major client to do a technological jump and be ahead of its competition. (to BM: how about StrongDC as well ? :) )