Joshi

[Support] Disable Segmented Downloading

21 posts in this topic

First of all , i would like to congratulate you for much good work.

Secondly, i would like to ask you , how can i disable segmented downloading .

I use version number 0.2.2

This is a problem to me because it causes many stops during downloading thus less downloading speed.

Thank you in advance

Secondly, i would like to ask you , how can i disable segmented downloading .

In queue page there is an option for it...

How about something like that ?

So I can download without any interruptions if I have good speed and also to download from more sources. One should have fragmented downloading if there are more sources. What's the point of segment downloading if only download from a single user? I get less speed and also can have the unfortunate chance that another user gets the slot I was using until I reconnect for the next segment. You should consider that previous setting from PeerWebDC, based on the connection type. (if that's the solution to the problem I'm talking about.)

also can have the unfortunate chance that another user gets the slot I was using until I reconnect for the next segment.

firstly, learn how segmented downloads work and then start talking bull ****

You're slot is still open when a segment finishes, you won't lose it.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but it actually happened to me. I was downloading a movie from a guy (segmented mode - it was driving me mad) and I was interrputed with a "No slot" !!! Still...I don't see why you aren't implementing it like in PeerWeb :)

Sorry to dissapoint you, but it actually happened to me. I was downloading a movie from a guy (segmented mode - it was driving me mad) and I was interrputed with a "No slot" !!! Still...I don't see why you aren't implementing it like in PeerWeb :)

the implementation is still same, only the settings page has been moved to Queue page and some of these settings have been removed because they have no meaning - 99% of users manually set maximum segments.

if you got disconnected then user disconnected you or the connection failed but it has nothing to do with segmented downloading.

Still, Kandinsky said that he has been disconnected with "No slots available"...

I believe, if i remember it right, that there is a possibility to loose slots between segments if emulation is enabled.

So there is some sense in his proposal?

Edited by Zlobomir

So there is some sense in his proposal...

No there isn't as even if that page was brought back, if emulation would be enabled, there would still be a chance of loosing slot in that case...

Then add second type of emulation - without multisource?

emulation is per-hub based, but segmented downloading isn't. And user shouldn't enable emulation if it's not really needed. But most of users always enabled, but it's their problem.

Ok people. After reading these posts, I made a few tests. Seems that Emulate Dcc set on enabled caused the problem. So try not to use emulation and there aren't any problems with segmented downloads when you download (:blink:) from a single source. I just wish somebody had thought of this sooner :fear: .

But there are hubs which force you to emulate. That's why I think of emulation+disable segment downloading. In fact, we just need another option in Fav Hubs, "Disable segment downloading".

I'll check it again, but from what I remember, I usually had emulation enabled in all the hubs and never encountered the problem with segmented downloading from 1 source only. That's why I still wonder if the implementation is the same as in PeerWeb...or perhaps some new things conflict with the old code... :blink:

Nevertheless, I think developers should test this matter more thoroughly.

yes, implementation is same (at least I expect that according to the client which PeerWeb/ApexDC are based on)

If you have emulation enabled and downloading from 1 source then it's exactly the same way of downloading as in vanilla DC++ with one exception - our TTH leaves verification is still enabled.

2Zlobomir: You can't disable segmented downloading per hub. Just imagine you are downloading one file with many users and some are from "segmented" hub and some are from "non-segmented" hub. What to do then? Download the file using segmenting or not?

...2Zlobomir: You can't disable segmented downloading per hub. Just imagine you are downloading one file with many users and some are from "segmented" hub and some are from "non-segmented" hub. What to do then? Download the file using segmenting or not?

Yes, you have a point... Then on a general basis, something like the ability to have PURE DC++, when needed. :blink:

Also, I remember that we did add some "superseeding" in segmented uploading. Can it mess up the things?

Also, I remember that we did add some "superseeding" in segmented uploading. Can it mess up the things?

Technically it can, yes...

Then on a general basis, something like the ability to have PURE DC++, when needed. :blink:

then you have an option to completely disable multisource in Settings :fear:

that superseeding can mess it up, but i can't say it does, because i have no experiences with its code, so I don't know how it selects chunk size - if it selects chunk size where it can't ensure that other chunk will begin out of that chunk then it can causes trouble with losing a slot. Chunk size/start position must be selected to ensure that the whole chunk will be really downloaded from that user without interruption.