Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
_SRB_skobaljic

RoBots in Apex?

25 posts in this topic

many times i needed a file that i was sure it existed, but i didn't know where to find it. so procedure was:

1. conect few hubs

2. make a search

3. analyze results

4. disconect from hubs

5. if there are more hubs to search - go to 1.

i know this is an old issue, but i see no reason that bots could do next job:

1. select hubs from PublicHubList

2. right click selection -> BotSearch...

3. Bot connects 1 by 1 and makes SearchLog in new tab

sometimes i needed hours of this boring job to find just 1 more peer for an old download.

maybe it is not in spirit of p2p? i don't get it why noone implented this before (or i didn't hear about it).

thanks for reading

maybe it is not in spirit of p2p? i don't get it why noone implented this before (or i didn't hear about it).

You're a smart one posting both question and it's answer at once. :)

It's definitely not in the spirit of P2P, and hubowners certainly wouldn't like to see a bunch of users connecting and disconnecting all the time. And it would certainly put a lot of stress on big hubs (there is a bit of data that needs to be sent when client connects).

well.. for searching 1 hub - it takes 1 minute: that means u could do such kind of BotSearch^^ rearly indeed. 'cause of that i think it wouldn't be traffic-server jam. all i want from bot is to replace me sometimes in typing and clicking.

i'm probably wrong :) but trying to be logical here. there could be restriction such as '1 search in 1 hour'.

how do you think, things would be like, if every user usses such a feature?

HUBs would be swarmed with searches, and i dont think we should burden them with our lazyness.

how do you think, things would be like, if every user usses such a feature?

HUBs would be swarmed with searches, and i dont think we should burden them with our lazyness.

i think i was clear enough - 1 hub for 1 minute searching. its ok and u can do it manual. problem is when u start searching 200 hubs for 1 file: u spend more than 2 hours in what job? click and type job can be solved by keystroke or keyrecorder, but it would be much easier to have an option for BotSearch.

limiting BotSearch on 1 or 2 hours is quite ok.

(anyway, we already have bots for searching in moglo)

Guide how-to-search-without-robots-on-many-hubs:

1. Open all needed hubs.

2. Press "Search" button.

3. Type what you want to search.

4. Press [ENTER].

...wait...

5. Manually search for needed file in result list and from context popup menu select command "Download".

!!! AND DON'T DISCONNECT !!!

Or you too greedy?

Set passive state, limit output speed but don't disconnect...

...it is not in spirit of p2p. :)

I think making usage of some script language (i.e. php) will end all such feature requests. Why code so narrowly shaped feature, if you may script it by your own!

Guide how-to-search-without-robots-on-many-hubs:

1. Open all needed hubs.

not possible, reason: some hubs ask 3-5 slots, other ask 1 slot for every opened hub - contradiction

I think making usage of some script language (i.e. php) will end all such feature requests. Why code so narrowly shaped feature, if you may script it by your own!

well, Client>Feature Requests doesn't sound like Developer>Feature Workout

i just want to help somehow making this project better, 'couse i like what i see :)

This isn't possible and btw, if it is, i don't think that dev team will implement that as this will be a leeching tool, allowing only you to download, not the others. So, please, forget about it :)

See ya,

Keine

... i don't think that dev team will implement that as this will be a leeching tool, allowing only you to download, not the others...

omg, does anyone get me right these days? :)

i'll make an example and than tell me if this is leeching:

- i was looking for a movie (15 years old, i coudn't find it anywhere on other p2p clients - incredible)

- i started to search hubs 1 by 1 (two moths ago), clicking and typing 2 hours

- i found 2 occasional users on 1 hub and started DL

- after 1 month i got 43%, all time sharing on the hub

- after 2 months i got only 'no slots available', so i needed at least 1 more client (cause i asked for slot many times...)

- so i clicked and typed 2 hours (again) to find it and i did

- in 2-3 days i finaly downloded it (and met some very friendly ppl there)

i'm happy now and so are ppl i shared files with.

the only thing i'm consired is: why to type same things 2 hours, when there could be such an easier way to do it - yes, something like BotSearch, just as same as i would do it manualy.

maybe it is not in spirit of p2p?

of course, some people would answer no to this question, but actually, i know of a hub where i was which did allow searchers of this kind to connect, because of a simple reason: if the searcher finds the file he's looking for on your hub, he'll come on your hub to download, and he might like it and stay on it since it's the hub that had the file he's been searching for so long...

i don't get it why noone implented this before (or i didn't hear about it).

i've heard of 2 tools that can to this: MoGLO (tried it) and DCGUI.

MoGLO gave me very good results, but this was some years ago, and i think MoGLO is usually banned now. however, if you find a hub like the one i've described before, it will still work.

never tried DCGUI, and i'm not sure this one's integrated multi-hub search can be banned.

but i see no mods answer.... :)

No matter how you put it, this could be considered as harmful feature, and this is why i see it not happening...

and if you open 8-10 hubs you should be able to find a fair ammount of files in them...

No matter how you put it, this could be considered as harmful feature, and this is why i see it not happening...

and if you open 8-10 hubs you should be able to find a fair ammount of files in them...

i was talking about one file in 200 hubs..

no matter, i've just tried to be helpful.. thx for answer and continue to do good job :)

I still recommend you to include scripting support into Apex. So such complicated features like search bots, multiple away messages and so on might be done by user. And your client would be much more powerful.

Hmm...

...in my home network (more than 10k computers) exist some hubs with limit on simultaneously opened hubs and other stupid limitations...

...and all this hubs I use absolutely without problems...

...hmm, I'm really don't know why...

...bug? DON'T FIX IT, PLEASE! :)

I still recommend you to include scripting support into Apex. So such complicated features like search bots, multiple away messages and so on might be done by user. And your client would be much more powerful.

I don't think scripting is appropriate for a normal client maybe op. and then it will be LUA. it would be a massive job to intergrate PHP into a client. you could always hack the source code if you want more features.

I think that "normal" (not op) client should also contain support of scripts. With scripts you may do almost anything - advanced away system, log collector and many many more easily customizable actions.

I don't hold to php, it may be any scripting language. But it would be totally cool. And developers shouldn't bother about adding such narrow shaped features like in this request.

As for php support - you may look into mBot for Miranda IM plugin. It delivers php scripting into miranda.

I think that "normal" (not op) client should also contain support of scripts. With scripts you may do almost anything - advanced away system, log collector and many many more easily customizable actions.

I don't hold to php, it may be any scripting language. But it would be totally cool. And developers shouldn't bother about adding such narrow shaped features like in this request.

As for php support - you may look into mBot for Miranda IM plugin. It delivers php scripting into miranda.

to make a scripting language is a very hard thing to do, as you have to make a whole new language and integrate it into the program so it would understand your commands not one by one, but so it could process lots of them to make one single task.

And it would consume much cpu :D

if you want something like that, there should be a feature like plug-ins. Take for example very know Total Commander it has a plug in for almost everything :D Plug-in on the other hand a small, very efficient and consume less cpu, if written correctly :D And if the Client would grant sufficient priveliges and functions for the plug-ins to access, you could do allmost anything with them :)

I have encountered a DC++ client with plug-in support, maybe it was Phantom DC++...

Take a look into mBot of MirandaIM. It's small, uses standart php library and you can script on it almost everything. And, of course, its the plugin.

Take a look into mBot of MirandaIM. It's small, uses standart php library and you can script on it almost everything. And, of course, its the plugin.

i don't get it, why do you want to use PHP? LUA can do fine for a webserver, or working on files, etc. ok, not as great as PHP...

'cause I know php better :D.

Actually, php and its usage in mBot was just an example of the scripting implementation. It's just a plugin and it uses standart php dll to execute scripts, so you don't need to write interpreter from scratch.

of course, some people would answer no to this question, but actually, i know of a hub where i was which did allow searchers of this kind to connect, because of a simple reason: if the searcher finds the file he's looking for on your hub, he'll come on your hub to download, and he might like it and stay on it since it's the hub that had the file he's been searching for so long...

i've heard of 2 tools that can to this: MoGLO (tried it) and DCGUI.

MoGLO gave me very good results, but this was some years ago, and i think MoGLO is usually banned now. however, if you find a hub like the one i've described before, it will still work.

never tried DCGUI, and i'm not sure this one's integrated multi-hub search can be banned.

MoGLO is a pain in the ass, they spam hubs and most hubs now have Anti-MoGLO spam features. I (illegally) crashed one guys connection for coming on often then blocked his whole ISP range in my router. It's not a good feature and it'll definately tarnish Apex's reputation.

[edit]a bit late on the post...

Edited by Kevo

MoGLO is a pain in the ass, they spam hubs and most hubs now have Anti-MoGLO spam features. I (illegally) crashed one guys connection for coming on often then blocked his whole ISP range in my router. It's not a good feature and it'll definately tarnish Apex's reputation.

[edit]a bit late on the post...

well, i've tried MoGLO and i've got results out from 343 hubs - 16% of all hubs i had in list. One could say that is the percent people agree with me :)

Creator of MoGLO has explained:

This program was designed for the sole purpose of finding those few and far between files that no one seems to have. There are many arguments as to whether or not these type of programs are good or bad for DC community, but it's really in the hands of the users to answer that.

--> and that was the point of this topic

He also added:

I know many hub owners do not want tools like this connecting to their hubs, so I have implemented a couple methods to easily hide your hub from being searched... (and he explains a simple how-to procedure in further)

Above means indeed that every 6th hub owner allows bots, so it is not so freaky^^ feature :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0