Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
datadyne

Force rechecking of a file

15 posts in this topic

I'd like to see Apex DC recheck the file you're currently downloading. Recently I've been having problems with torrent seeders going dead while I'm at the last 5% of the file. So what I've been doing is downloading the rest on DC by swaping the file I've been downloading with the one dc creates when I start a download. However Apex doesn't seem to recognize that the file is 95% done instead it starts the file from the begining even after I've switched it. Here's the thing, it doesn't seem to mess up the file either cause I opened it in Zion++ and zion rechecks the file and showed it was at 96% (+1% from apex (this is from the bittorrent blocks I needed being in the forward section of the file)) when in apex it showed it was still at 20% of the file. Had apex detected the missing blocks as if they were missing pieces of segments like Zion++ I would have been able to finish the download and go back to bt and seed for though ten other poor saps that the seed bailed out on.

Now, I'm not sure if I'm missing something and it's in the settings. I did look but not awafuly hard. I'm not sure if it's a bug (doubtful) of if it's something you didn't want to add. But I'd be ok with even a "Force Recheck" option like utorrent has. Zion++ seems to do this with out asking but it also seems to take up a lot of resources when I don't want it too. :-\

I look forward to a response and I hope I was not to confusing. :angry:

I'd like to see Apex DC recheck the file you're currently downloading. Recently I've been having problems with torrent seeders going dead while I'm at the last 5% of the file. So what I've been doing is downloading the rest on DC by swaping the file I've been downloading with the one dc creates when I start a download. However Apex doesn't seem to recognize that the file is 95% done instead it starts the file from the begining even after I've switched it. Here's the thing, it doesn't seem to mess up the file either cause I opened it in Zion++ and zion rechecks the file and showed it was at 96% (+1% from apex (this is from the bittorrent blocks I needed being in the forward section of the file)) when in apex it showed it was still at 20% of the file. Had apex detected the missing blocks as if they were missing pieces of segments like Zion++ I would have been able to finish the download and go back to bt and seed for though ten other poor saps that the seed bailed out on.

Now, I'm not sure if I'm missing something and it's in the settings. I did look but not awafuly hard. I'm not sure if it's a bug (doubtful) of if it's something you didn't want to add. But I'd be ok with even a "Force Recheck" option like utorrent has. Zion++ seems to do this with out asking but it also seems to take up a lot of resources when I don't want it too. :-\

I look forward to a response and I hope I was not to confusing. :angry:

Actually this is NOT a bad idea. however, usually you dont mix the 2 types of files. for forced rechecks may not be a very high priority. But its a very ingenious idea to do. start it in one, and finish in the other if you cant complete. To my knowledge once the file is toatally completed, it should verify the file automatically, atleast mine does, but I am not pulling from BT's into DC either.. there is an option to NOT check after 75% of the file is complete, make sure thats not turned on..

I thought that torrent clients download loads of parts. And store them in the order it gets them. A randomish order. And when the torrent is complete, it puts them into the right order.

I thought that torrent clients download loads of parts. And store them in the order it gets them. A randomish order. And when the torrent is complete, it puts them into the right order.

Maybe not, since there is an option "Put *.??? extension to temporary files" in most BT clients. So it is not hard to check out.

yer thats what i thought. from what i know of dc and bit torrent this would be ... difficult, if possible. however i dont no loads about either ;) and if it could be done it would be a good feature

If it's possbly, then it just depends on how easily. There are so many things Crise has to work on. ;)

Maybe not, since there is an option "Put *.??? extension to temporary files" in most BT clients. So it is not hard to check out.

What extension the files have, has nothing to do with the actual file headers.

For example, get a torrent with 10 files in it.

Wait until it's half done, and have a look at the details, and it'll say All 10 files are about half done.

Now goto the directory, and the first 5 files will be at the full size, and the other 5 will be at 0 bytes.

So it's a lot more complicated that people are making out. If you plan on sorting these parts out, and doing all that other crap, you might as well just add full Torrent support. It'll be easier.

Well see I originally thought this couldn't be done swapping files back and fourth till someone told me they had tried it. I spend hours telling them it would damage the file. I even argued that it would screw up the tth's but it doesn't. Once I tried it I was amazed. I've since done it a few times and when I bring it back over to BT for seeding I tell Utorrent to force recheck the file (It assumes I'm at X% wherever I left off until I tell it to recheck.) and it starts seeding. Then I'm everyone's unknown hero. :D

From what I understand though, as soon as a batch torrent starts if it has any block from one of the files it makes the file whole and fills in the pieces. My utorrent shows my pieces in segments and shows what parts of the file I have and makes it look kinda like a Disk defragment. When I brought the same file over to zion++, zion showed the file in download queue as if I had downloaded a partial of the 8th segment out of 10.

I guess the bottom line is that it works. For some reason zion detects the file and downloads the missing segments as if I had just not been able to download them. Like I said Apex starts from the begining and never even took note of the rest of the file. ;)

Also here is another thing to ponder. I've watched files I was currently downloading on bt before. As long as I had the forward section of the file. it would start and as soon as I got to a missing data block the screen would go black. So this tells me that the file must be in some kind of order. :-\

Fully support this request!

Today my download queue was wiped and I have to readd all files. But then I'm readding them, the start to download from the beggining, which is bad, cause I was downloading some files for a week or more(.

Old Strong 1.0RC10 was able to resume such downloads.

Please, make this feature as soon as possible.

Fully support this request!

Today my download queue was wiped and I have to readd all files. But then I'm readding them, the start to download from the beggining, which is bad, cause I was downloading some files for a week or more(.

Old Strong 1.0RC10 was able to resume such downloads.

Please, make this feature as soon as possible.

if your queue was wiped this is how you restore the downloads: http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?showtopic=279

(you need to have old dctmp's handy)

Yes, was using this method before. But now it doesn't work(.

Yes, was using this method before. But now it doesn't work(.

this is bit of a problem might be related to tbi's code, have you tested if that method still works with SDC++ ? (knowing if that method still works in SDC 2.01 and/or 2.02 is very important to me)

Not sure, because source is currently offline, but seems like it doesn't work in 2.01 too.

Not sure, because source is currently offline, but seems like it doesn't work in 2.01 too.

ok then that can't be related to tbi's coding which is a relief to tell the truth...

This didn't happen in Peerweb. When the download queue is wiped it is really annoying. But in PW one could resume incomplete files as long as the tth matched and filenames were the same.

It would be better if the dl queue didn't get wiped in the first place.

But when it does happen it is imperative that there be a way to resume files.

I tried the old pw method and it didn't work. Then i tried the queue.xml edit approach and that didn't do it. So i've just lost 2 weeks of partials totalling over 4 GB. This alone makes me consider switching back to PW.

Other than this problem I find Apex to be a very nice client - more attractive and efficient than PW by far.

Disappointing that it has this very serious bug...

EDIT

From two sources: the help support hub and another apex user i found the following solution that I haven't been able to verify:

Manually search for each incomplete file in the partials folder by tth and queue it for download. Important: o not readd the incomplete files from other users filelists as this will cause the downloads to start from the beginning.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0