Lee

How to install the PeerGuardian plugin (Pre-1.0)

33 posts in this topic

How to install the PeerGuardian plugin

This guide explains in simple form how to enable the PeerGuardian plugin so it is no longer greyed out within ApexDC++. You can use this guide with clients based on ours, such as IceDC++. Note that this PeerGuardian plugin is compatible with 0.2.0-0.4.0. In 1.0.x, it is built into the program.

Follow the steps below and you'll have it enabled in no time:

1. Download the plugin files (requires archive program such as WinRAR)
  2. Extract the plugin to Program Files/ApexDC++/ (root directory)
  3. Restart ApexDC++
  4. Go to Settings -> Advanced -> Security and enable the plugin
The program will now be blocking any IP addresses in the block list. :)

Related: Blocking specific IP's | PeerGuardian settings explained

is there a way to add/remove more IPs to the block list ?

EDIT: found the way :)

hi 3dfx, could you please post your method incase others see this thread

very simple:

after extracting the peerguardian plug-in, just open up the "guarding.p2p" file with Notepad (wait a whyle,its a big text file)and add/remove anything there :D

How can i enable this plugin for apex dc 0.3.0 version?

Exactly the same way as the steps say above. :blink:

Are all Apex vers. backwards compatible? If not, label "Works for X and above"?

I mean avoiding a report "PG does not work" for the 0.1.0 release.

Edited by Zlobomir

Are all Apex vers. backwards compatible? If not, label "Works for X and above"?

I mean avoiding a report "PG does not work" for the 0.1.0 release.

Updated it with that, thanks. :)

Oops, did we had a public release before 0.2.0? Still, it's s not wrong as it is now, specified.

Oops, did we had a public release before 0.2.0? Still, it's s not wrong as it is now, specified.

The PeerGuardian plugin was implemented in 0.2.0. :P

Go to Settings -> Security and enable the plugin

It is in Settings -> Advanced -> Security

It is in Settings -> Advanced -> Security

Thanks, updated the guide. :)

I have a question: when in my system PeerGuardian is installed - does plugin in Apex work?

113848apex.png

After I've extracted the plugin to Program Files/ApexDC++/ and restart - options isn't enabled.

I have a question: when in my system PeerGuardian is installed - does plugin in Apex work?

113848apex.png

After I've extracted the plugin to Program Files/ApexDC++/ and restart - options isn't enabled.

No, if you have PeerGuardian running on your system already then you don't need it running within Apex as well. Would just be a waste of your resources? :blink: ...Hence the "Status: You don't need this plugin." caption at the lower end of that image.

you should mention that the guarding.p2p should go into the settings directory :D

edit: adding guarding.p2p to my backup script :D

Edited by Aztek

Yeh, it is down atm, not sure whether it's a hosting thing or if Lee needs to fix it....

Thanks. I already thought I just found another reason to reinstall my system... :lol:

Does someone know a reliable and authentic alternative download location? Via Google I couldn't really find anything I'd trust..

Regards,

CB

This guide is very much obsolete nowadays, so I don't mind the link being broken really...

Uhm.. you're confusing me. ;) Why obsolete if the PeerGuardian blocklist is still being updated more or less regularly? In order to use it I should need to install and therefore download it according to this guide, right? Or is there something new I haven't found yet? Can you give me a hint?

So, if somebody knows something how to nowadays automatically block known "bad and evil" IPs, I'd appreciate any hint as to what to search for. Sorry for not knowing, but I'm rather new again to DC in the internet...

Regards,

CB

I guess I just finally figured out how to activate the PeerGuardian plugin effectively.

Though, I don't suppose that the following is not the normal way everybody has to go:

Going to ApexDC's settings >> Advanced >> Security, checking the box next to PeerGuardian and then having the status message say "Blocklist running but not active". Pressing [View Blocklist] only brings up a box saying something like "Blocklist is empty or in an unknown format". Of course neither pressing [Reload Blocklist] nor [update Blocklist] is bringing any changes; the file ApexDC\Settings\guardian.p2p pointed to in the [View Blocklist] box simply doesn't exist and neither is being created automatically.

Than finally having the great idea of visiting the
with a browser, finally finding an obviously working blocklist, saving the file from the browser to ApexDC\Settings\guardian.p2p, pressing the [Reload Blocklist] button and finally having the status message say "Blocklist reloaded, with XXX.XXX IP Ranges".

Well, concluding I guess it would have gone faster to simply create an empty file ApexDC\Settings\guardian.p2p and then fill it by pressing [update Blocklist] - assuming one gets such splendid idea. But shouldn't this file better be created automatically when activating the PeerGuardian plugin?

Is this just gone lost because all of you already have had the plugin installed the "old way" months ago and therefore everything on your side worked? Or am I just a single weird case? ;)

Anyway, Regards,

CB

the link for the plug in doesnt work for me. could some please post a new one or is this plug in dead?

I guess the link will not be fixed:

This guide is very much obsolete nowadays, so I don't mind the link being broken really...

But here is how make it work in a fresh install of ApexDC, anyway:

Well, concluding I guess it would have gone faster to simply create an empty file ApexDC\Settings\guardian.p2p and then fill it by pressing [update Blocklist] - assuming one gets such splendid idea.

As stated before: Create the file 'guarding.p2p' in your ApexDC's settings folder, e.g. in C:\Programs\ApexDC\Settings\.

Then go to your ApexDC settings and there select "Security". Now, on the right side of the Settings window, check the box next to "PeerGuardian" and press the button [View Blocklist].

In the window that popped up, make sure that the box "Current list:" points to the file you just created, in my example "C:\Programs\ApexDC\Settings\guarding.p2p", and in the "Update server:" box should be entered the location of your blocklist, such as "http://www.apexdc.net/updater/". Klick [OK] to leave the window.

Now press the [update Blocklist] button. That might take a while, depending on your internet connection speed, but after the list has been loaded and written to the file you created and pointed to before, you can look at the list any time by clicking on [View Blocklist] again.

At last, set up PeerGuardian via the checkboxes at the bottom as to what actions you wish to be monitored by PeerGuardian and click [OK]. If you don't know what the checkboxes mean you might wanna consult this thread.

I don't know why that file is not being created automatically when needed - at least it wasn't for me - but maybe that's a bug or a feature yet to be implemented. :)

Good luck,

CB