Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ifmn

Spaces after hub's address

14 posts in this topic

Hi, first i want to thank you for the great job with apexdc.

I've notived that if I put a space after the address of a hub (many users do it , i dont know why) i can't connect to it.For an instance:

[11:55:39] *** Connecting to dc.data.bg ...

[11:55:41] *** The requested address is not valid in its context.

See the space after "dc.data.bg" and "..." ?

it'd be great if someone puts a space in the address field apexdc to ask him is he sure.

And 1 question.i know that apexdc is build on strong dc, but just to be sure:When i used strong dc (i dont remember the version. maybe it was RC10 or something like that) i started downloading 1 file.only 1 user had it.then strongdc started downloading the same file from another strongdc user.but it looked like this : FILENAME.EXTENSION.ZELFYOL5ZH7ENKB5F7IBDKNLUHX4O7WENGEUUXA.dctmp (the file + THH).I downloaded the user's file list and after doing a long search (manually and with the 'search' option) i couldnt find it.He hadn't shared the dctemp directory.maybe it was some strong dc function.or he had shared the file but i couldnt find it.is this available in apexdc too?

And 1 suggestion:that page where you write 'help us fill it' well you can add a migrate function.the user must select one other dc client's folder and to select what he want's to be imported from it : it's favorites , queue , share list .... afcourse you can do it just by copying tha "Favorites.xml" file , etc.but it'd be nicer.I have like 20 clients (well i only use 6) and when i first installed them i had to do all the settings , favorites manually (back then i didnt know that copy thing).

Add a 'save queue' button.Or maybe the queue to be saved automatically when a new file is added?

And finally 1 more : add a function , which will index all of the files on a PC when its idle or with a button for the user to do it.i know that files do constantly change, but i'm tired adding like 100GB of files and to wait for 1-2 hours, before other users can download them(yes , i know that it would take 1-2 hours again but when i add a file that already had been indexed i wont wait a sec.) (and maybe the user to be able to select which folders will be indexed , so WINDOWS wont be indexed all the time)

Sorry for my bad english.

If u need beta testers i'm able to help before 10.09 cuz i have to go to school then :):(:).

EDIT : And one more function.Call it DLC (DownLoaders Clan) So its little complicated.

version 1 : i have enabled that function in options.other apex dc users have enabled it too (in my hub ).So i start Dling a file from 1 normal dc user.he has 5 slots open.but im Dling only with 1 MB (for me it's slow)

so other BDLC members in tht hub start DLing the same file from the same user. (or maybe from all the users) and they start direcly uploading it to me.So if the user is ULing with 1 mb per user, 4 other BDLC users will start DLing and my overall rate will be 5 MB.it;s little complicated.if u cant understand it please ask me and i'll explain more.

version 2 : Call it BDLC ( Big DLC ) now this is the tricky one.it has all of v1 options.lets say that im connected to 1 hub.i start DLing one file.I ( apex ) will send a request to a apex server.the server wil send a request to all of the apex dc users who have 10kb+ connection to me ( i guess that the server will gimme their IPs , and apex will ping em ).they will search for that THH in their hubs .so apex automaticaly joins all of the hubs (well max. 10 or 50 ) who have that THH and i start Dling from there.Afcouse it must only be enabled for 600+MB file i dont want it to do all that for a readme :). Well i know that u wont do it.but anyway.if apex has that function it will be absolute best dc client ( well not that it's not now :) )

Please if u enable these 'clans' include me in some 'thanks to' section or even in 'about' :):):)

That's centralising the program, which is a big no no. Your first version sounds exactly like multisourcing..

That's centralising the program, which is a big no no. Your first version sounds exactly like multisourcing..

it's not multisrc.example 2 : my friend starts DLing a file.he has apex.i have apex too.so i start DLing the same file automatically and at the same time - ULing the file to my friend ( well he is not my friend , he is 'clan' member ).Just to speed his download.it wont even take HD space - just put the packets in RAM.

what about the spaces problem?what about my other suggestions?

what does "centralising" mean?as i said my EGL is not very good.what's wrong with it.

Look it up via google - it basically means making users connect to a central server.

The "example 2" is super seeding, uploading partial files to users. This is already available.

again english problems...couldnt find any info on superseeding in the forum.can u exlain it here ot gimme a link.

anyway what about my other suggestions / questions

couldnt find any info on superseeding in the forum.can u exlain it here ot gimme a link.

and im not talking about superseeding . anyway forget it

What the? ;)

As far as I understood from our private conversation, he means something which is not superseeding, but I failed to exactly understand him. Anyway, ifmn, please explain in detail, I'm sure that there are people here who can get it.

ok.ill try to explain again.

Usually when i wanna DL a 3GB+ file i contact my friends and tell em :im DLing file 'FILE' from user 'USER' - start Dling the same file too!.because they have shared their tmp dir,i start DLing from all of them that 3GB+ file.and they are all downloading from USER(or from several users).So normally USER is uploading to me with 500KB/s , but now when all of my friends are downloading he's uploading with 2-3 MB/s.And totally im DLing with 1-2 MB/s from USER and all of my friends. and thats a way to save precious time. /for some users i may look impatent, but sometimes 10-30 min. can be really important/

so the feature i want is the same , but automated - i start Dling that file and apex automatically sends a command (RQ) to my friends / favorites who have apex (or someone else with apex who has that feature enabled).So they automatically start DL-ing that file and Uploading it to me.u may say : i dont need that file , helping someone like ifmn only wastes my HD space and my bandwith.So it will be good if im someone sends a RQ to me for a DL of a file (and im going to be that helper for him) that feature to disabled when im Dling a file. ( so that my bandwith is saved ) and packets to go in ram (decrease packet size for that feature since i dont want it wastin 4+ MBs of my RAM), not to HD since i dont really need that file - im only helping some apex user ( and someday he'll help me )

So i know that the feature wants really great time of work and since it can be done manually there's no need of it.So im not very optimistic about it(not optimistic at all).but it can save some time to apexdc++ users and work as well.

So dont do it if other users dont want it - no need to waste your time for someone's pleasure (like me)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and that other feature im talking about - a server who will make searches in many hubs and then send back to me the results.(like HUB xxxx has file with THH xxx.....xxx so i can join them and increase my Dl speed again)

1. Regarding your idea of users helping each other with downloading - IMHO you are experiencing the old problem with low speeds of SDC++ (and respectively Apex DC++) in a LAN between two users. I do not remember in detail what the problem was, but it was discussed there and I believe that it's better to solve it in its roots (if it is still not solved). So, if we imagine that you and the remote user are standing on both sides of a narrow bridge, the other users (your friends) just make the bridge wider? It just doesn't make sense, unless the remote user has enabled some limiter per IP.

2. Please make a separate topic for each feature. Writing in two places is better than sorting the mess on one. :)

Edited by Zlobomir

1. Regarding your idea of users helping each other with downloading - IMHO you are experiencing the old problem with low speeds of SDC++ (and respectively Apex DC++) in a LAN between two users. I do not remember in detail what the problem was, but it was discussed there and I believe that it's better to solve it in its roots (if it is still not solved). So, if we imagine that you and the remote user are standing on both sides of a narrow bridge, the other users (your friends) just make the bridge wider? It just doesn't make sense, unless the remote user has enabled some limiter per IP.

2. Please make a separate topic for each feature. Writing in two places is better than sorting the mess on one. :)

Sorry about .2.i was too lazy.

And yes , my friends make the bridge wider (bridge == bandwith).Not every one has modded client like rmdc , sdc , apx etc.in my hub 60 % of all are with the default dcc.yes , they can emulate , i know.and not everyone has enabled the speed limit.And about that 'problem' - im not Dling from all user with 250 - 500kb.And everyone says that such speed is normal.From some users i DL with 6MB+.I havent noticed any difference between the speed i get with apx and normal dc.(unless theres multi src).

There r far more important things to be done than this.So unless other users like it dont waste ur time

Just a guess - the only logical reason may be that "the bridge" is not widening - the other peers just make a by-pass. F. ex., in my own LAN I am on wireless with an access point of max. 1000KB/s (because of a railway). But the whole network on my side of the railway is 100Mb based, and some users are directly connected, or via anothe access points. So, if more (faster than me) peers from my side of the railway start download, I can respectively by-pass the 1000KB/s limit of the access point. Similar is the situation if you download from some user outside your LAN, and your helping peers have faster internet than you. Sorry if this sounds stupid.

But if this has to deal with the old strange lower speed between clients, it should be fixed...

Just a guess - the only logical reason may be that "the bridge" is not widening - the other peers just make a by-pass. F. ex., in my own LAN I am on wireless with an access point of max. 1000KB/s (because of a railway). But the whole network on my side of the railway is 100Mb based, and some users are directly connected, or via anothe access points. So, if more (faster than me) peers from my side of the railway start download, I can respectively by-pass the 1000KB/s limit of the access point. Similar is the situation if you download from some user outside your LAN, and your helping peers have faster internet than you. Sorry if this sounds stupid.

But if this has to deal with the old strange lower speed between clients, it should be fixed...

Zlobomir contact me @ skype

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0