Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
irish

some people like old dc

42 posts in this topic

The discussions spark up memories...

I too used to be a hub owner and an operator on a local municipal hub. By that time (and unfortunately by our times today), there are a lot of people that use older clients. Older, in my concept, means pre-0.674, though I'll accept 0.401 too, but not lower than that.

The problem was that my fellow OPs were (except for the hub owner), against forcing people to upgrade, stating that "Why should they upgrade if they don't want to? Why must you always have the newest client? And why do you always complain that you can't get decent downloads from them?"... After a fight, me and the hub admin finally got our point through and banned oDC and everything older than 0.401 (also, after that, being given all sorts of nicknames, such as "the dictator", "Hitler", "Ceausescu" (our last communist president), etc.).

I don't quite hear anybody complaining today, though, as we have 2-3 people with 0.401 (actually using DCDC++CDM), about 30% PeerWeb DC++, 25% StrongDC++ 1.00 RC9F2 or higher, 10% ApexDC++ and the rest DC++ 0.674 or higher.

I believe there is nothing good in lack of upgrade. I fail to see any advantages of insisting to remain in the stone-age. It's true that hashing is quite annoying, but that's 1. done in the background and 2. done once.

The only reason not to upgrade (that I can see - correct me if you see others) is because you are using an OP client which is based on an older version of DC. If this is the case then maybe OPs arn't subject to the same restrictions on a hub as other users, but OP clients do not need to be used on hubs where you are not an OP. There is a reason why the old clients are disallowed, it's not just some random thing that we decided to implement into the client.

Any hub which deliberatly bans newer clients and forces you to use old clients probably isn;t worth connecting to. DC needs to evolve and improve, not just stay the same forever, if you honestly believe there are no advances needed then surely you wouldn't even download ApexDC?

People who won't upgrade deliberatly are stupid? I doubt there are any old clients (other than an OP client or two maybe) which are so great you can't upgrade? I see no reason why people shouldn;t be told to upgrade, if they are forced to upgrade then good. Hopefully the client they are using will actually be better anyway? :)

OP clients do have a special status. But not everyone on a hub is an OP. Anyway, once ApexDC++ OP version is available, that wouldn't be ant trouble.

I fail to see any DC++ version that's better than 0.691/0.694... And so on with all the other clients.

If you're unsure what new client you'd like to have, irish, or, if, presumably, you don't want to change the client, but only to update it, then take a look at the link in my signature.

OP clients do have a special status. But not everyone on a hub is an OP. Anyway, once ApexDC++ OP version is available, that wouldn't be ant trouble.

I fail to see any DC++ version that's better than 0.691/0.694... And so on with all the other clients.

If you're unsure what new client you'd like to have, irish, or, if, presumably, you don't want to change the client, but only to update it, then take a look at the link in my signature.

Hi, Just thought I'd take a gander and see what's going on.

I thought this discussion would be dead by now, but I guess not.

Okay here's the thing.

I have so many private groups in my fav list that I'm using 4 different clients including Apex.

No I'm not running 4 at once.

For instance when i got up this morning, i changed from Strongdc to Apex.

When I get back on the computer tomorrow morning, I will change from Apex to Peerweb.

To those who called the hub owner stupid because he refuses to upgrade, do you not think, that is going a bit overboard. It may be a stupid attitude, but that doesn't make the person stupid.

Also, whether or not a hub is worth being in, doesnt depend on what clients they have, but whether or not

they provide a good portion of the type of files you are looking for. As this particular hub is the largest private hub to concentrate on audiobooks/radio shows, I think it meets that requirement.

M

"To those who called the hub owner stupid because he refuses to upgrade, do you not think, that is going a bit overboard. It may be a stupid attitude, but that doesn't make the person stupid."

On today's Internet, you can only judge a person solely by his actions. That's because you cannot observe anything else.

"Also, whether or not a hub is worth being in, doesnt depend on what clients they have, but whether or not

they provide a good portion of the type of files you are looking for. As this particular hub is the largest private hub to concentrate on audiobooks/radio shows, I think it meets that requirement."

A few more Apex releases and what they have will be worthless if you cannot download them.

You still haven't answered what reason would one have to not upgrade. New clients bring new and improved technologies. They may not be ALWAYS the best, but MOST OF THE TIME they are.

To those who called the hub owner stupid because he refuses to upgrade, do you not think, that is going a bit overboard. It may be a stupid attitude, but that doesn't make the person stupid.

Depends on your definition of stupid, at the very least they must be ignorant? Ignorance overlapses with stupidity...

It's not the fact that he refuses to upgrade, which i would class as a stupid action. It's the banning people who do upgrade i find stupid.

"[14:04] <-=Librarian=-> Dc++ ver.690 and up and strong Dc++ ver 2.0 and up are not allowed here if your found using those clients you will be banned until you roll back to an earlier client "

It's not the fact that he refuses to upgrade, which i would class as a stupid action. It's the banning people who do upgrade i find stupid.

Geez, now we need also "Turn on %SomeAncientClient% Emulation" ;)

"To those who called the hub owner stupid because he refuses to upgrade, do you not think, that is going a bit overboard. It may be a stupid attitude, but that doesn't make the person stupid."

On today's Internet, you can only judge a person solely by his actions. That's because you cannot observe anything else.

"Also, whether or not a hub is worth being in, doesnt depend on what clients they have, but whether or not

they provide a good portion of the type of files you are looking for. As this particular hub is the largest private hub to concentrate on audiobooks/radio shows, I think it meets that requirement."

A few more Apex releases and what they have will be worthless if you cannot download them.

You still haven't answered what reason would one have to not upgrade. New clients bring new and improved technologies. They may not be ALWAYS the best, but MOST OF THE TIME they are.

"You still haven't answered what reason would one have to not upgrade." The owner of the hub told me why he didn't want to upgrade, (oh and i found another private hub that won't allow new clients either.) but he asked me not to quote him, and I'm honouring that request.

2. "A few more Apex releases and what they have will be worthless if you cannot download them."

Well if i use an older client for that particular hub, that won't be a problem.

If they like dwelling in the past, recommend the hub owners to install windows 3.1. Might suit them just fine. :(

wow! hot subject! speaking as a hub owner, I do prefer people to use the newer clients. but then, I'm the type that switched from vhs tapes to dvd's too. :(

You don't have to quote him directly, just say what great arguments he has - unless they are also a secret. But keeping arguments to himself is not going to convince anyone that his actions are reasonable in any way. Of course he doesn't have to if he don't care, it's his choice after all.

You don't have to quote him directly, just say what great arguments he has - unless they are also a secret. But keeping arguments to himself is not going to convince anyone that his actions are reasonable in any way. Of course he doesn't have to if he don't care, it's his choice after all.

Hi. Sorry I'm not answering any more posts on this because we are just going round in circles.

M

The only reason not to upgrade (that I can see - correct me if you see others) is because you are using an OP client which is based on an older version of DC.

For me Greg said it all.. :)

If I could, I would have put all the features of my good old client into an up-to-date client long ago and would finally use a new one. And I would even hash voluntarily. And also I would finally ban all the old clients from my hub and spread the word to my users. But up to now I couldn't find a client that really satisfies me and many users of my hub that use the same old client as I do.

Sure, not being able to download from the new clients really sucks. But missing the one or the other feature (real direct downloading and a useful tab completion are the most important ones, I think) sucks even more - not only as a hub owner...

So, 'till now I'm hoping and waiting for Apex' next release... :blink:

even if I don't understand the ban new clients idea, I have to say: His hub, his rules, follow them or don't be there!

in my hub I've banned old clients, oDC etc.. I want everyone to use clients with segmented downloads, zpipe/zline etc.. so I always recommend Apex, Strong, dc++ 0.691 and up, CrZDC++(my client) and other good clients with segment, zpipe/zline, limiter etc.. but that's my hub, my rules..

if you wanna use oDC, don't go to my hub, if you wanna use newer clients, don't go to his hub, or run dual clients

even if I don't understand the ban new clients idea, I have to say: His hub, his rules, follow them or don't be there!

in my hub I've banned old clients, oDC etc.. I want everyone to use clients with segmented downloads, zpipe/zline etc.. so I always recommend Apex, Strong, dc++ 0.691 and up, CrZDC++(my client) and other good clients with segment, zpipe/zline, limiter etc.. but that's my hub, my rules..

if you wanna use oDC, don't go to my hub, if you wanna use newer clients, don't go to his hub, or run dual clients

Hi Curse

Do you have a private ot public hub?

M

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0