Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
irish

some people like old dc

42 posts in this topic

Okay I've just been reading the stop apexdc forum.

Congratulations to those who kept their cool, when answering the original poster.

Although I did see the word "idiot" being used, which gained a minus point in my book.

But I just wanted to let people know that there are people out there who are quite clients 4.01, and older.

No, i'm not one of them.

Unfortunately this means I can't use Apex, because it won't connect to anything lower than 4.01.

M

Sorry, I *do* think anyone still using a client older than 0.401 *is* an idiot (or a lousy faker using a mod). There are ZERO reasons not to upgrade - period. I'll be glad when they're *forced* to upgrade by every hub - most of the "good" hubs already force it.

agree

ApexDC++ still connects to 0.401, right?

0.401's are allowed only because of 9x/ME people (I don't like it, but have to live with just a bit more). Normal hubs doesn't allow nothing older to be used. Well... It's Your choice to stop "evolving", just because few other people decided to stay in the stoneage.

I've just been reading the stop apexdc forum.

:) what stop apexdc forum :)

Edited by balder

Sorry, I *do* think anyone still using a client older than 0.401 *is* an idiot (or a lousy faker using a mod). There are ZERO reasons not to upgrade - period. I'll be glad when they're *forced* to upgrade by every hub - most of the "good" hubs already force it.
Really? so you believe that if you have a great OP client and its an older version like say "0.401" you believe that just because its old you shouldnt use it? even though as an OP it can be your greatest tool?

agree

ApexDC++ still connects to 0.401, right?

0.401's are allowed only because of 9x/ME people (I don't like it, but have to live with just a bit more). Normal hubs doesn't allow nothing older to be used. Well... It's Your choice to stop "evolving", just because few other people decided to stay in the stoneage.

Regarding the 0.401 issue Most GOOD OP Clients are 0.401 sourced have you found a decent OP client based any higher? Bet you havent thats why DCDM is still being developed I have a feeling Pothead would agree along with all the other op client developers.

it can also connects to clients below .401 :)

Hi everybody, thanks to everyone who replied.

this is the forum i was referring to

"Why make a client that destroys DC++?"

I am in a particular private hub, where the owner uses a 3.06

I doubt if he's faking.

As most people in the hub use older clients, he will not allow any clients from..

well basically here is the message

"[14:04] <-=Librarian=-> Dc++ ver.690 and up and strong Dc++ ver 2.0 and up are not allowed here if your found using those clients you will be banned until you roll back to an earlier client "

most people in the hub use older clients.

Big Muscle I was not able to connect to the hub owner mentioned above.

But, more important, he was not able to connect to me

M

Regarding the 0.401 issue Most GOOD OP Clients are 0.401 sourced have you found a decent OP client based any higher? Bet you havent thats why DCDM is still being developed I have a feeling Pothead would agree along with all the other op client developers.
Not really used them, but i would class iDC and Zion as other op clients, on a later base. But i still use DCDM in most of my hubs, until i can find a suitable replacement, based on the latest dc++, and always kept up to date. DCDM development has virtually ground to a halt, with me only interested in bug fixes now (and sensible requests which can be done in under 5 minutes).

"[14:04] <-=Librarian=-> Dc++ ver.690 and up and strong Dc++ ver 2.0 and up are not allowed here if your found using those clients you will be banned until you roll back to an earlier client "

Sounds like a stupid hub. Find a sensible one. :)

0.306 is blocked in most sensible hubs, because of the lack of TTH support.

And some major security issues.

Just because they cannot be arsed to upgrade doesn't mean you should forced to follow their example.

Not really used them, but i would class iDC and Zion as other op clients, on a later base. But i still use DCDM in most of my hubs, until i can find a suitable replacement, based on the latest dc++, and always kept up to date. DCDM development has virtually ground to a halt, with me only interested in bug fixes now (and sensible requests which can be done in under 5 minutes).

Sounds like a stupid hub. Find a sensible one. :)

0.306 is blocked in most sensible hubs, because of the lack of TTH support.

And some major security issues.

Just because they cannot be arsed to upgrade doesn't mean you should forced to follow their example.

Well I must say that's an interesting use of the word "stupid"

I am actually using a 6.74 client.

What major security issues?

M

-- 0.674 2005-04-10 --

*** WARNING ***

This version fixes a security bug, upgrade unless you want to risk losing data

anywhere on your drive, this error affects all clients from 0.307 to date (thanks cologic for finding it)

*** WARNING ***

:)

Well I must say that's an interesting use of the word "stupid"

I am actually using a 6.74 client.

What major security issues?

M

Hmm, it's version 0.674 not 6.74. :)

Older clients (that uspport NMDC filelists) can't grab your XML format filelist.

Hmm, it's version 0.674 not 6.74. :)

Older clients (that uspport NMDC filelists) can't grab your XML format filelist.

Thank you for correcting me. you are now officially "pickiest person in the universe" :)

"Older clients (that uspport NMDC filelists) can't grab your XML format filelist."

Which i suppose bring us back to square one

M

Some ppl don´t like changes even if it is better. If software would not develop we would be useing Win 95 or some, I would not like that and I doubt you would like it eather. Nobody can support this ppl if thay don´t want to update, then this is there problem and thay have to deal with it. There is no good reason for them to continue with old unsupported DC.

Some ppl don´t like changes even if it is better. If software would not develop we would be useing Win 95 or some, I would not like that and I doubt you would like it eather. Nobody can support this ppl if thay don´t want to update, then this is there problem and thay have to deal with it. There is no good reason for them to continue with old unsupported DC.

I do agree with that. But this is a hub I've been in for a long time. I guess I feel a certain loyalty to it.

M

Hi everybody, thanks to everyone who replied.

this is the forum i was referring to

"Why make a client that destroys DC++?"

I am in a particular private hub, where the owner uses a 3.06

I doubt if he's faking.

As most people in the hub use older clients, he will not allow any clients from..

well basically here is the message

Big Muscle I was not able to connect to the hub owner mentioned above.

But, more important, he was not able to connect to me

M

Then that OP is a moron. A Neanderthal that should be extinct and I would consider the hub worthless.

Then that OP is a moron. A Neanderthal that should be extinct and I would consider the hub worthless.

Well it's a point of view. I don't believe the members of the hub would consider it worthless, particulary if you

are into audiobooks and radioplays.

As for him being a moron, i have had many conversations with him, and he never gave me that impression.

M

As for him being a moron, i have had many conversations with him, and he never gave me that impression.

M

So ask him why he doesn't want to allow newer clients to connect.

So ask him why he doesn't want to allow newer clients to connect.

Well it's because the majority of users in the hub use the older clients. He wants people to be able to connect

to each other.

M

Well it's because the majority of users in the hub use the older clients. He wants people to be able to connect

to each other.

M

So make them upgrade.. bit strange to ban newer clients.

;)

Thanks Pothead,

M

So make them upgrade.. bit strange to ban newer clients.

Well his rub, his rules.

M

How many ppl are useing opsolite clients in this hub?

at moment of counting

118 members connected to hub

301=1

306= 18

401=24

4034=4

666=1

667=2

668=21

670=1

673=1

674=26

681=1

6811=1

686=1

687=1

689=1

dcgui 0.3.7=2

odc 5.31=1

pwdc 0.41=1 (me ;)

strongdc 1.00 rc10=6

strongdc 1.00 rc9f2=1

strongdc 2.01=1

of course just because it says that in their tags, doesn't mean that's what they are using that version.

M

Only 20 ppl who would have to change theire clients, sould not be hard.

oDC and DC++ older than 0.307 should be banned.

Every admin sees his hub his own way. Sorry, I think this one is pretty stupid - "most people in the hub use older clients." isn't really an argument. If most people would use some fakeDC, would it mean that it's good to leave things as they are? I think that this guy just doesn't like that hashing thingy. Since from my personal experience it's quite possible to get corrupted files (and spread them) in lan environment (mostly because buggy clients or users bad hardware) it's already one big argument to kick non TTH trash, even in a small LAN hubs. As for other pros they are pretty much obvious.

(...) So it's just 20 people... If Admin wanted to change it's just as much trouble as warn the others to upgreade, and probably most of them would follow. When I banned 0.3XX clients it was only around 1% of users "who just didn't get the message".

Every admin sees his hub his own way. Sorry, I think this one is pretty stupid - "most people in the hub use older clients." isn't really an argument. If most people would use some fakeDC, would it mean that it's good to leave things as they are? I think that this guy just doesn't like that hashing thingy. Since from my personal experience it's quite possible to get corrupted files (and spread them) in lan environment (mostly because buggy clients or users bad hardware) it's already one big argument to kick non TTH trash, even in a small LAN hubs. As for other pros they are pretty much obvious.

(...) So it's just 20 people... If Admin wanted to change it's just as much trouble as warn the others to upgreade, and probably most of them would follow. When I banned 0.3XX clients it was only around 1% of users "who just didn't get the message".

Well actually in a way. i was wrong. I guess most people aren't using older clients in the hubs.

Well i guess older to me being 4.01 and before, or it 401 (too lazy to look)

People I appreciate all the comments, If i ever get around to asking the owner why he won't ask to upgrade,

I'll let you know his answer.

M

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0